Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: New Nav Maps?  (Read 27283 times)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: New Nav Maps?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2016, 09:44:51 PM »

Putting in the video with the thumb print info was topflight. Very nice to offer this bit of information. Even though I thought I new how to do it, I still watched the video and reaffirmed what I remembered from before.
Just a great idea.

thanks!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2016, 10:14:03 PM »

Thanks Chuck (14CVOultra) for your knowledge and help on the Boom system.  Installed the Navie update with no problems.  This from a guy who can just post a picture in a thread and has NEVER used a gps..   :-\

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2016, 11:04:28 PM »

Glad all went well for you guys. Just paying it back a little.
I am a bit of a techno geek  and this site is a great place for the exchange
of information and helping each other out. :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: 

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2016, 11:15:32 PM »

I'm just in the middle of my Clearwater Darla LED fog light install.  Should be finished tomorrow.  Then I'll attempt the Nav upstate.   :2vrolijk_21:
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2016, 08:58:59 AM »

FYI. I had my son do the update last year when he was visiting on Christmas, as he is a IT guy by profession. After updating the map he also checked and installed what was then the latest Radio update as well from HD. I kept this drive in the drawer for hopefully future use for the same deal.
This morning when I tried to make the fingerprint it would only read the drive to do a radio update and asked if I wanted to update to "trunk". I contacted him and he had me delete the radio update from the thumb, then I plugged it back into the bike and it read it and made the thumbprint in a  few seconds.
Just in case anyone else has a problem.

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2016, 11:36:42 AM »

CVODON,

Not to mix apples and oranges, but I would have at least two 8G usb drives for the Navigation map updates.  Mine are both 16G, they are relatively cheap now.

And i have one USB, 16G for the Boom Box Infotainment updates.

I use one for the Boom Box software updates that we get for free about every 6 months.  As you know, that is a different process and downloading to the computer and then un zipping, extracting and then putting (moving/copying that file to the USB disk.  If you copy that file to the root directory of a clean, (a usb without any files on it) the USB you will always have the most current version on your computer as a backup copy and if you had a problem with the USB drive you could just copy it again to another USB without downloading it again.

Now for the NAV update, the subject of this thread, I used a second USB drive, (i have two for NAV update USB devices), the old one has my current maps on them, the maps that are currently on the bike,  and the new USB will have newest updates on them.   Remember we don't download the NAV updates to the computer hard drive, like we do for the  the Boom Software, we download it directly to the USB. 

So if there is a problem doing the NAV, map download or update procedure, you will still have the other USB with your current maps.

So when it is time for my 3rd and final free update, I will use the old '14 map USB and keep the '15 update USB as my backup file.

Before using the '14 map USB, I will delete all and any files on the USB and start again with a clean, no file USB for the download.

I have a slow internet and it took approximately 2.5 hours for the download and then about and hour to install it on the bike.

I don't know that much about the NAVI software, but if I had an internet interruption, and the download failed, I would review the USB for any files, delete them and start over. 

If I had a problem with installing the software on the bike, and didn't have time to go thru another download attempt I would still have a USB with last years maps to fall back on.

Bottom line, doing either update, Boom Box or Nav update, always start with a clean USB drive and always have the last software backup.

I installed mine this morning, no issues.

And thanks again to all for listing the procedure steps, and the video.  Made this update easy.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:42:42 AM by 68 XLCH »
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2016, 12:02:01 PM »

CVODON,

Not to mix apples and oranges, but I would have at least two 8G usb drives for the Navigation map updates.  Mine are both 16G, they are relatively cheap now.

And i have one USB, 16G for the Boom Box Infotainment updates.

I use one for the Boom Box software updates that we get for free about every 6 months.  As you know, that is a different process and downloading to the computer and then un zipping, extracting and then putting (moving/copying that file to the USB disk.  If you copy that file to the root directory of a clean, (a usb without any files on it) the USB you will always have the most current version on your computer as a backup copy and if you had a problem with the USB drive you could just copy it again to another USB without downloading it again.

Now for the NAV update, the subject of this thread, I used a second USB drive, (i have two for NAV update USB devices), the old one has my current maps on them, the maps that are currently on the bike,  and the new USB will have newest updates on them.   Remember we don't download the NAV updates to the computer hard drive, like we do for the  the Boom Software, we download it directly to the USB. 

So if there is a problem doing the NAV, map download or update procedure, you will still have the other USB with your current maps.

So when it is time for my 3rd and final free update, I will use the old '14 map USB and keep the '15 update USB as my backup file.

Before using the '14 map USB, I will delete all and any files on the USB and start again with a clean, no file USB for the download.

I have a slow internet and it took approximately 2.5 hours for the download and then about and hour to install it on the bike.

I don't know that much about the NAVI software, but if I had an internet interruption, and the download failed, I would review the USB for any files, delete them and start over. 

If I had a problem with installing the software on the bike, and didn't have time to go thru another download attempt I would still have a USB with last years maps to fall back on.

Bottom line, doing either update, Boom Box or Nav update, always start with a clean USB drive and always have the last software backup.

I installed mine this morning, no issues.

And thanks again to all for listing the procedure steps, and the video.  Made this update easy.

That's great tidbits to know.  I sort of thought a USB drive without anything on it would help.  Like your taste in rides.... :-)

2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2016, 12:37:48 PM »

Well, while I appreciate the comments on USB's, I see no need, personally, to keep back-ups. If I have a problem during a new install I am going to find and fix that problem some way. I would probably never reinstall a prior update. So for me this is not something to worry about. But it does help having a son who totally understands all this. I told him about you wanting to use different USB's each time and he said if I wanted to keep copies of past downloads to just save them on desktop. But he also didn't see a need. I do have a seperate one I normally use for Radio updates, just on the one I used today he had installed the radio update on so when I tried to use it for nav it wouldn't work for me, but to him it made no difference, he knew to delete radio update prior to doing map update, I didn't know, but now I do.
But thanks again to everyone who has helped with this.

Hogism

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2016, 01:19:23 PM »

I did the update today, when I checked the software version it said 9-10-14 and the Data base showed MY-2017.
Should the software be updated to the date I downloaded from Naviextras?

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2016, 03:48:20 PM »

Yes that it is the correct Software version.

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2016, 04:42:33 PM »

Well, while I appreciate the comments on USB's, I see no need, personally, to keep back-ups. If I have a problem during a new install I am going to find and fix that problem some way. I would probably never reinstall a prior update. So for me this is not something to worry about. But it does help having a son who totally understands all this. I told him about you wanting to use different USB's each time and he said if I wanted to keep copies of past downloads to just save them on desktop. But he also didn't see a need. I do have a seperate one I normally use for Radio updates, just on the one I used today he had installed the radio update on so when I tried to use it for nav it wouldn't work for me, but to him it made no difference, he knew to delete radio update prior to doing map update, I didn't know, but now I do.
But thanks again to everyone who has helped with this.

I agree that you don't need backups for every update nor a new usb for every update, two will do giving you the backup and the new maps.

But since the Nav maps are a 2.5 hour download for me and if an install failed it would probably be caused of a corrupted file or other software glitch and i would just reinstall my '14 maps and then schedule a time when i could go through the process again.

If backup files are not important to everyone no problem, but i guess the main thing to take away from this discussion is that with Infotainment and Nav updates always start with a USB that has no files on it.
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

Hogism

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2016, 05:34:37 PM »

Thanks for the reply,  14CVOultra.

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2016, 08:54:05 PM »

Done with my Fog Light install.  Now onto Nav Update.

Question...  I am using a new 32gb USB 3.0 drive.  Do I take the fingerprint with it 1st?   Then using same USB drive, download the Nav Update onto it and then load it onto the bike?
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2016, 09:20:04 PM »

Yes.  Make sure your drive is blank before the finger print from the bike. 

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2016, 10:12:58 PM »

When I plug the USB into my PC and open the software it tells me there is an update....it downloads a 16MB .iso file and then I need to navigate and download the map update. I tried with both the update and the map update and got an error on the radio, then tried just the update and it was authenticating for way more than 10 min and never got anywhere. Are you download both updates or stopping at the software update that pops up first?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 21 queries.