Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battery Drain  (Read 2381 times)

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Battery Drain
« on: September 21, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »

2014 CVO RK, battery was straining when starting. Always keep it on a tender, even for over night. Right hand controls module was drawing 4 amps. Killed the battery. ESP won't cover the battery, but lately HD batteries are only good for 2 years anyway. Lucky I made it home before it wouldn't turn over any more.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Battery Drain
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »

2014 CVO RK, battery was straining when starting. Always keep it on a tender, even for over night. Right hand controls module was drawing 4 amps. Killed the battery. ESP won't cover the battery, but lately HD batteries are only good for 2 years anyway. Lucky I made it home before it wouldn't turn over any more.

That's one of those things were it would be nice if the ESP had to follow the same rules as a factory warranty.  If the bike was under warranty and a part failed causing the battery to fail, the battery would also be covered on the same claim.  I think I would still question the ESP company based on that same theory though.  Yes they don't normally cover batteries if they fail by themselves, but if it fails due to a failure of an ESP covered part what then?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:09:50 AM »

I trust ESP covered and replaced your right hand switch module.  I've had both sides replaced twice.  I'm told by my mechanic that Harley has updated the switches which even have new part numbers, now.  They have tended to short out, especially if you hose down the bike while cleaning. You would have to read your extended service contract to determine whether or not the battery should be replaced under it if the battery was damaged by the amp draw of the switches. Don't forget to test the left side switch!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 09:34:06 AM »

Update: Yes ESP covered the switch housing and labor, but would flat out not cover the battery. After speaking with several owners of new models, seems the factory (Deka) supplied batteries no longer last 5+ years, lucky to get 2 out of them. I told the service dep't I'll go buy a battery, they agreed, would install whatever I wanted. Got a Yuasa, less expensive, better warranty, 400 CCA. 
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 04:53:26 PM »

First I have heard of this. Is it just certain years this is an issue? I have always hosed my bike down to wash. Maybe I have just been lucky. :nixweiss:

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.