Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which piston?  (Read 4543 times)

103lover

Which piston?
« on: February 14, 2007, 02:21:06 PM »

HI, I have a bone stock 04 cvo 103 and am tired of the lack of umph. I have a 8.8 compression ratio - i think- and want to go with higher comp. pistons. Are the se ones ok?, Can anyone reccomend a part number?. A 10.5 ratio would be nice. And how about the 575tc cams?  Help.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Which piston?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 03:27:21 PM »

HI, I have a bone stock 04 cvo 103 and am tired of the lack of umph. I have a 8.8 compression ratio - i think- and want to go with higher comp. pistons. Are the se ones ok?, Can anyone reccomend a part number?. A 10.5 ratio would be nice. And how about the 575tc cams?  Help.
103lover,
You say your bike is bone stock, so I'm assuming you still have the stock Breather, Pipes, and Map in the ECM. If all this is true you will be surprised at the gains you will feel if you go with the SE A/C (with the K&N Filter), more open exhaust (True Duals if you like that look, or 2 into 1 if you want flat out performance and don't mind that look), and then either add the SERT (Screamin Eagle Race Tuner), Dynojet Powercommander, or Zippers Thundermax w/auto tune.

You mention the 575 cams by Zippers (check out this thread for info - REDSHIFT 575 CAMS & OTHER PRETTY PARTS) and I can personally say that I'm pleased with the results of those cams as they are the ones I'm using. Also there is another cam made especially for the CVO 103ci motors by Freedom Cycles (check out this thread for info - FCC14 Cams 103 Dyno). Both of these cams are bolt in, and don't require any headwork. They produce excellent HP/TQ numbers.

I would consider the upgrades I described before I would start swapping pistons, and raising my compression.

Also welcome to CVOHarley. :2vrolijk_21: You should go to this board - New Member Introduction and start a thread to introduce yourself.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 03:31:44 PM by Fired00d »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:32:25 PM »

1st of all welcome to the site :2vrolijk_21:, You'll be glad you found us as this is a great group of very knowledgeable people. I have to echo the suggestion that FireDood gave you, go with pipes / AC kit / and a tuner of choice. The difference is huge, if that's not enough go for the cams from FCC or Zippers.

103lover

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 08:52:25 PM »

I have 2 weeks off coming up and I intend on using it on the 103. I am already leaning toward
a k&N filter, new exhaust, sert, a cam and pistons. Since I have the time now I want to go for it now. The cvo members in general seem knowledgable, so I thought i'd ask.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 09:41:47 PM »

I have 2 weeks off coming up and I intend on using it on the 103. I am already leaning toward
a k&N filter, new exhaust, sert, a cam and pistons. Since I have the time now I want to go for it now. The cvo members in general seem knowledgable, so I thought i'd ask.

103lover, be aware you DO NOT want to do the 575 cams or the Freedom cams in conjunction with pistons.  They are designed to work ONLY with STOCK pistons and heads.  With either of these cams, you will get outstanding results without the added expense of replacement pistons or headwork.  See my signature for my dyno results with the Zipper's 575 cams, Rinehart true dual exhaust, Feuling oil pump and lifters, Screamin' Eagle air cleaner, and Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner.  My dyno sheet is also posted in the dyno thread in the SEEG section of the site here: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php/topic,162.545.html (reply #545).  That sheet will show you what to expect with just the air cleaner, slip-ons, and race tuner and then what the cams and the true duals will give you, additionally.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:45:27 PM by 103tHunDer »

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 11:32:55 AM »

Hello 103lover,

I send you the  :welcome_005: from FRANCE.

Best regards

:vrolijk_26: Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 08:26:25 PM »

to answer your question 103lover the 575 cams were for stock compression not the build your discussing being 10.5 to 1. 

The real question for you is what do you want to get out of your bike when your done and what's your riding style to match a cam / setup to how you want to ride the bike.   Once you answer that there will be a few guys that can make some suggestions to help guide or give input into a combination that will work for you as you move forward.

For example .... 103+ Heads, 10.5 to 1 Pistons bored .005 over so you can have your cylinders rehoned and be sure they are ROUND.   50mm Throttlebody  HD or Horsepower Inc or Zippers.   Freedom FCC13 Cam or Andrews 60g cam or S&S 585 Cam or or or .....you will also need the SE Air Cleaner, Pipes and SERT / Power Commander and a Tune.
I would also recommend to you new adjustable pushrods and tubes, Fueling Lifters, Fueling oil Pump, as well as depending on the cam you choose if the lift is over 600 then you should purchase the Roller Rockers by either HD or S&S or Crane or Jims.

Choices of Cams are going to depend on your riding style single or 2 up its a heavy bike so torque is probably a forgone conclusion, but how you want the power to come in and where you want it to stay are the variables.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

103lover

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 08:39:32 PM »

I am not into high speed - I like to have lots of low end power- like- why down shift when you can torque up the hill?  Whats your suggestions: I'm open to any and all suggestions.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 09:55:16 PM »

I am not into high speed - I like to have lots of low end power- like- why down shift when you can torque up the hill?  Whats your suggestions: I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Go with the FCC-13 Cam. It is a bolt in cam for use with the stock heads but will also work with increased compression.  Add on a good pipe like the Thunder Header, Rineharts, or D&D's and you'll have numbers in the 105 HP / 115 TQ range. If its not enough you can then look at adding a different piston and / or head gaskets (.030 Conmetics) to bump the HP and TQ up a bit more....

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 10:23:28 PM »

103Lover since your set on doing the upgrades while you have the time.

The reason to go with the 103+ heads is if you decide later ot have headwork they are one of those heads that the head guys like to use as a starting point.   I would suggest what I did above and use the FCC or Andrews 60 or the S&S 585 as the third choice.

Personally the 60g runs really good at 10.5 to 1 just make sure you add in all the supporting cast such as the
Fueling Oil Pump, the Fueling lifters, the hd- SE adjustable pushrods, and compression releases, replacement bearings for the cam inner and outer and the gear drives.  If you have the money spend it and also get yourself the roller rockers.  I am presuming your already going to have bought the Roll your own Air Cleaner with either a Zippers or Ness or K&N air filter and the pipe you want to run.   I would highly recommend against using the HD High Flow air cleaner and that is why I suggested the Roll your own Air Cleaner Kit.

I think no matter which of these 3 cams you choose you will have a great running bike.

If you see your way into doing this in steps I would then tell you to go with the FCC 13, the Air Cleaner, and the pipes and if your still not happy then do the heads.   The FCC13 will run with your current setup or if you add in more compression and the 103+ heads and pistons.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 08:08:03 AM »

If you are going to increase compression I would run a Red Shift TC657 set of cams. These cams make some good power in a 103 with 10.5 to 1.

If you are looking for low end power just put in a set of FCC or Zippers bolt in cams. Change your exhaust and air cleaner remap and ride it. You will make plenty of low end power and the cost is not too hard to swallow.

While you are in the cam cavity you might as well change to a fueling oil pump and lifters and a Zippers shim. You will also need a set of adjustable push rods.

If you have the money add a Thunder Max with Auto Tune to your set up. You will be money ahead in the long run.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

103lover

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 08:56:57 AM »

What is the deal on fueling oil pumps? Is it that much better than stock? Is the stock one borderline on reliability, pressure?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 04:23:02 PM »

What is the deal on fueling oil pumps? Is it that much better than stock? Is the stock one borderline on reliability, pressure?

If you stay with the stock pump at least be sure and change the relief valve (more than one vendor for options).  The general experience, however, has shown the Feuling unit to perform better.

crshnbrn

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 07:06:06 PM »

Fueling oil pumps are nice pumps, but if there is no need to replace your stock oil pump then just increase your oil pressure with either a shim on the stock pressure relief spring or use a Fueling relief spring.  Either method is less than $10 if you are in the gearcase anyway.

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 21 queries.