Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Compensator "again"  (Read 6099 times)

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
Compensator "again"
« on: October 23, 2016, 10:03:56 PM »

Can anyone give me some help on this problem?  4 compensators in 1 year installed by two different dealers. The last one was looked at by the Harley rep. My 7 year warranty expired today and compensator making noise again after a 200 mile ride. Heading to dealer tomorrow. Last compensator that the HD rep said to put in lasted less than 800 miles.  CLUES PLEASE?.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Compensator "again"
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 11:01:26 PM »

Are you sure its your compensator.   pull the outter primary off run the bike in neutral and have them put a screw driver under the auto tensioner and have them add a tiny bit of pressure making the chain tighter and see if the noise goes away.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 08:52:42 AM »

Can anyone give me some help on this problem?  4 compensators in 1 year installed by two different dealers. The last one was looked at by the Harley rep. My 7 year warranty expired today and compensator making noise again after a 200 mile ride. Heading to dealer tomorrow. Last compensator that the HD rep said to put in lasted less than 800 miles.  CLUES PLEASE?.

I think the folks who need a clue are the ones who worked on the bike and the H-D rep.  Obviously there is a different problem that is being misdiagnosed as a compensator failure.  In this age of part changers instead of real technicians/mechanics, good luck finding someone who has the talent and will take the time to find the real problem.

What noise is it making, under what riding conditions?  What other parts have been replaced other than the compensators?  Has the chain tensioner ever been replaced?  When the compensators were replaced did they just replace the sliding cam and gear, or did they replace everything including the spring pack? :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 04:34:47 PM »

After a ride (especially in the Az heat), when idling at a stop it has a knocking noise from primary. Also after that ride, if I shut it down for a few minutes (like refueling), when restarting it has a serious knock in primary and when I "blip" the throttle it has an extreme one or two time knock in primary. Above an idle there is no noise and bike runs superb. It also has a couple of knocks when shutting down.  Have had problem for 1 1/2 years now. Every time they change compensator noise goes away for about 1000 miles. It is at Chandler Az HD right now again. I do not know exactly what has been done, since all has been covered under extended warranty.  Last receipt was billed at $653.34.    40100061 compensator at $430.95 and gaskets, oil and 1.13 hrs labor. The time before that was $3168.13 which included a new stator # 29987-06D and everything in the cam chest (broken cam tensioner). Time before that was compensator # 42200064A at $299.95 and rotor assembly # 30041-08A. That total ticket was $841.24.   I can't find previous work order for another compensator done, but all have been within the last 6K miles and AFTER the complete upper end of motor was rebuilt to cure the noisy upper end--- they bored .010 over, pistons, rings, valve job etc-----warranty refused to replace jugs but bored to get "true".  Whew-- how are the Indians holding up????  How is the new Milwaukee 8??? Don't want to trade but cannot afford this every 1000 miles out of my pocket.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 07:21:40 AM »

I'd sure start with getting some oil to the compensator. It.s widely known the compensator doesn't get much if any oil without a littel help. Hd solution's isn't much help. I'm a fan of Steve @ GMR's compensaver. www.compensaver.comPretty informative info there, Did't replace four compensators just 2, but the rattle afte the new ones were installed didn't work for me. Compensaver quieted it right down. Don;t have a dog in this fight, just a good product that does what it's supposed to do!! Pulled mine off my '11 getting ready to slip on my '16.
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

OakleyFreak

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Amber/Citrus
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 02:38:46 PM »

Did any of the dealers check Crank run out?

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:44:50 PM »

Did any of the dealers check Crank run out?

I think you hit it right on the head, I do not believe they are "checking" anything. Just replacing parts, over, and over again. Still waiting to see what they have to say this time.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »

OK, I just got off of the phone with the dealer working on my bike. Their conclusion after removing cover and speaking with higher up's at HD, were, that since this is the fourth compensator installed by two different dealers ----- the bolt that holds the assembly together has lock tight installed on threads, that somewhere during those installations, that lock tight was pushed to the end of the bolt. Thus not getting a proper tightening when torqued down. They think one, two, or three of the tech's did not clean out threads as per instructions and that build up was not keeping the assembly tight even tho it was torqued to proper ft lbs. They checked their records and told me that a new chain tensioner was installed 3000 miles ago and that crank run out was checked and found to be ok. Now for the big surprise! Harley has decided to do a "good faith" replacement since my warranty and ESP are expired. They are shipping out a complete compensator pack from the 2017 model year that has been revamped (again). HD is paying 100% for repairs, with a one year warranty on this part. I was told there is a slight modification that have to make to retrofit to my 2010. Hopefully it isn't on "back order".  Hopefully I can then make it past 1 oil change without going back for another one.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 04:54:46 PM »

It sounds as if they are going to take care of you. Curious what the upgrade needed for the "newest" 2017 edition is. And if it were me I would also like to know just what that pinion runout measurement was since they said they checked it. Remember some time in 07 the MOCO decided twelve thousand or less was ok when my 07 manual said three thousand or less. Nothing like changing the rules after the game starts. You should have the right to know what that measurement was if they in fact did check.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 05:34:40 PM »

2Harleys how many miles on the bike?

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 05:55:52 PM »

38000 miles on bike.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 07:57:58 PM »

After a ride (especially in the Az heat), when idling at a stop it has a knocking noise from primary. Also after that ride, if I shut it down for a few minutes (like refueling), when restarting it has a serious knock in primary and when I "blip" the throttle it has an extreme one or two time knock in primary. Above an idle there is no noise and bike runs superb. It also has a couple of knocks when shutting down.  Have had problem for 1 1/2 years now. Every time they change compensator noise goes away for about 1000 miles. It is at Chandler Az HD right now again. I do not know exactly what has been done, since all has been covered under extended warranty.  Last receipt was billed at $653.34.    40100061 compensator at $430.95 and gaskets, oil and 1.13 hrs labor. The time before that was $3168.13 which included a new stator # 29987-06D and everything in the cam chest (broken cam tensioner). Time before that was compensator # 42200064A at $299.95 and rotor assembly # 30041-08A. That total ticket was $841.24.   I can't find previous work order for another compensator done, but all have been within the last 6K miles and AFTER the complete upper end of motor was rebuilt to cure the noisy upper end--- they bored .010 over, pistons, rings, valve job etc-----warranty refused to replace jugs but bored to get "true".  Whew-- how are the Indians holding up????  How is the new Milwaukee 8??? Don't want to trade but cannot afford this every 1000 miles out of my pocket.
You know you can purchase a Harley Extended Warranty up to 3 years for your motorcycle as long as it doesn't have have 75,000 miles on it after the original ESP expires, and I believe there is an other option called Cornerstone United that offers the same of similar.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 12:04:04 AM »

Yeah I checked in to extending ESP but the price to do that is very pricey. I will see how this new repair works, and then decide what will be in my garage if it fails again.

OakleyFreak

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Amber/Citrus
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 04:21:04 PM »

Good luck
Ill keep an eye on the thread for updates

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 09:23:07 AM »

They are shipping out a complete compensator pack from the 2017 model year that has been revamped (again). HD is paying 100% for repairs, with a one year warranty on this part. I was told there is a slight modification that have to make to retrofit to my 2010.

Have they Installed the new modified compensator yet? Any idea what had to be modified?
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.