Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salted Roads, and perfect riding weather  (Read 1582 times)

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Salted Roads, and perfect riding weather
« on: February 25, 2017, 02:03:34 PM »

I don't know if I'm the only one but I am tortured right now. It is 70° in New Jersey the sun is out and my bike sit's in the garage because the roads are still covered in salt. To add insult to injury this is third perfect day in a row. I just get bring myself to expose the Road Glides chrome, aluminum, and paint to salt. I sure some of you will say screw it and ride, but I just feel like I am damaging the bike if I take her out. Maybe I need therapy.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Salted Roads, and perfect riding weather
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 02:20:50 PM »

You are definitely not alone.  I'm over near Chicago and we had at least five days with temps in the 60's before sending that weather over your way.  Unfortunately, right before that streak we had ice and lots of road salt and the stuff they use around here is about the worst I've ever seen for creating rust and rot.  There was no rain to wash any of the salt away.  So like you, I and probably most experienced riders took a pass and left the bike in the garage.  If I had a nice heated shop with running water and drainage system, I would have probably done a lot of riding in the winter over the past twenty years.  Since I don't have such a facility, once I put the bike down for the winter it stays there until April. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

wtfdskin

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 02:29:41 PM »

75 yesterday in central PA. Damn right I had it out. Roda were dry, just had to watch some intersections for grit. I saw worse salt damage from getting caught in the rain on the NC outer banks.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 02:39:20 PM »

You're not alone... when the snow falls (and the roads get salt, sand, & calcium chloride applied) I don't ride my bike until after significant spring showers. Usually that is around late March or April... however this year we have little to no snow (w/very little chemicals applied to roads) and the temps have been abnormally warm. It was mid 70's on Monday and high 70's yesterday and I rode both of them. Sometimes "global warming" can be a blessing... (riding) days like this don't come often in February around here.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 02:47:53 PM »

We road 200 miles yesterday from NE Ohio to WV for lunch, not much salt on the roads, had some rain the day before, but a lot of dirt and grime, We had all four seasons in the last 24 hours, yesterday morning Spring, yesterday afternoon Summer, this morning Fall, and now Winter its snowing :(
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 08:42:17 PM »

I used to be like you with my thinking. But as I have aged I have decided that I do not keep these bikes long enough for anything to rust out from a salt exposure or two. So I ride when I get a chance in February and just rinse the bike off before putting her on the jack and sliding her into the corner again, waiting for spring.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 10:10:24 PM »

Hopefully the wicked weather that came through tonight has washed the rest of our salty, brine coated roads clear, at least clear enough to see all the new potholes.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 07:53:04 AM »

Right there with you all.  I did put 8 miles on though.  Rode to the gas station and back them did a completed detail since it needed it anyways.  I'm getting itchy to ride. 

Jason
2015 CVO Limited

16limited

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 09:09:56 AM »

Here in Massachusetts we got some heavy down pours last night.
I'm ready to ride !!!

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 09:46:16 AM »

Our streets are clear of the snow and ice but showing all the potholes waiting for them to put signs up that that say no potholes for two blocks and it will be on the streets that were repaved the last year.
Last night and through this morning we are getting another light dusting of snow so it looks like I probably another month before I might be able to get the bike out and put some miles on it.
 I have it stored at my shop so I get to walk by it to get to the lunchroom everyday.
Hopefully be able to get it into one of the bays in a couple of weeks and start detail in it for spring riding.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 09:53:57 AM »

I don't either but, there is a solution, rent one for the day! JC

I don't know if I'm the only one but I am tortured right now. It is 70° in New Jersey the sun is out and my bike sit's in the garage because the roads are still covered in salt. To add insult to injury this is third perfect day in a row. I just get bring myself to expose the Road Glides chrome, aluminum, and paint to salt. I sure some of you will say screw it and ride, but I just feel like I am damaging the bike if I take her out. Maybe I need therapy.

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 10:35:47 AM »

You are definitely not alone.  I'm over near Chicago and we had at least five days with temps in the 60's before sending that weather over your way.  Unfortunately, right before that streak we had ice and lots of road salt and the stuff they use around here is about the worst I've ever seen for creating rust and rot.  There was no rain to wash any of the salt away.  So like you, I and probably most experienced riders took a pass and left the bike in the garage.  If I had a nice heated shop with running water and drainage system, I would have probably done a lot of riding in the winter over the past twenty years.  Since I don't have such a facility, once I put the bike down for the winter it stays there until April. 

Jerry
jerry, you need a winter home/cabin down south.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »

We got a little bit of the riding bug a couple weekends when we went to Arizona and rented a bike for the day, from Phoenix over towards Tortilla Flats, beautiful weather. I got about a hundred and fifty plus miles in, it may become of winter habit.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 22 queries.