Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: SE primary chain tensioner vs the regular auto version  (Read 14613 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
SE primary chain tensioner vs the regular auto version
« on: November 01, 2016, 11:30:09 AM »

I'm probably going to replace my primary chain tensioner over the winter and was wondering if there was any major benefit to using the SE manual version vs. the regular auto chain model.  I have 90,000 miles on the bike and even with the S&S 124 with the 640 cams I have never had an issue. I see where a few guys have welded the tensioners.  I understand why they do it, I just have never had any issue using the regular one.  I currently have the Baker compensator but I plan to return to the OEM and use the Compensaver for improved lubrication.  I have the saver on the bench waiting until I open the primary.  Which tensioner should I get? 

RayG   

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: SE primary chain tensioner vs the regular auto version
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 11:47:20 AM »

Had the SE in for about 2 days, made to much noise... Like them gear drive timer in a SB Chevy. Hundred bucks and I will ship it to ya if you want it... Same as new condition make it $75 shipped and it's yours
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 02:51:15 PM »

After over 50,000 miles on the '09, with no issues or related issues I'm staying with the stock one.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 05:03:38 PM »

Stick with the automatic tensioner.  The latest version seems to be working fine, unlike the early versions.  Every review I've read on the SE manual tensioner has mentioned noise issues, and without an access cover in the primary cover like the old bikes, you would have to remove the outer every time you wanted to check / adjust the chain. 

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 05:37:34 PM »

Stick with the automatic tensioner.  The latest version seems to be working fine, unlike the early versions.  Every review I've read on the SE manual tensioner has mentioned noise issues, and without an access cover in the primary cover like the old bikes, you would have to remove the outer every time you wanted to check / adjust the chain. 

JMHO - Jerry

X-2 Jerry, My HD Tech said the same..way to friggin noisy...stock one works just fine...
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 07:38:06 PM »

I can always count on you guys for a quick and thorough answer.  I'll stay with the automatic tensioner. 

Thanks Guys

Ray G

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 10:30:55 AM »

I can always count on you guys for a quick and thorough answer.  I'll stay with the automatic tensioner. 

Thanks Guys

Ray G

Was noticing a little noise in mine. When I put my Compensaver in , I found the chain had about 3/4 " play in it. Just put a screwdriver on the back of the tensioner, it popped up one click then 1/4" of play  all good now, nice and quiet. They say 1/4" play at the top  when it cold and when you raise the chain with your finger , you'll see the shoe start to compress.   
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:22:31 PM by Texas 103 »

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 10:53:23 PM »

JMHO - Jerry

Which HD one is the newer version? Probably not the one that came in my 2009?

2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »

Which HD one is the newer version? Probably not the one that came in my 2009?

I don't remember, thinking the '09 version had the older  wider teeth on it, changed a buddy's out to an extra one I had of my '11  New version has narrower adjusting teeth so it won't over adjust  overtighen. Was thinking the  new   part # has a " B" 

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 01:32:11 PM »

I don't remember, thinking the '09 version had the older  wider teeth on it, changed a buddy's out to an extra one I had of my '11 New version has narrower adjusting teeth so it won't over adjust  overtighen. Was thinking the  new   part # has a " B"
I need to confirm. If the 09 version is different in this respect that maybe why mine always felt banjo string tight why I changed to the Hayden unit and have been happy with that in my 07.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 01:40:46 PM »

I need to confirm. If the 09 version is different in this respect that maybe why mine always felt banjo string tight why I changed to the Hayden unit and have been happy with that in my 07.

That's why it gets tight, New one with the finer teeth takes care of that. You get a  Much more gradual adjustment.without over tightening.  Most of the good builders on here Steve @ GMR, Kirby, Steve @ Fullsac to mention a few say use the stock tensioner . Think a new one is  like $108 retail. My '16 has about 1/4 " play, 

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 01:56:51 PM »

Thanks, makes sense then.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 03:41:11 PM »

Thanks, makes sense then.

Good deal, That new  HD tensioner  is a hell of lot quieter than the Hayden. Pulled my Hayden  out of the old "11 ,it's in the box. Just set it up  COLD with about 3/16"-1/4" play at the top. When you push up on the chain after teh play is gone   you see the tensioner shoe  will start to compress and you are good. Think there is another 3/4" of "compression" of the shoe built in to the unit.

You can always do a quick and easy check after installation.  Just pull the derby cover off,  shine a light on there slide a long thin screwdriver in, and push up  on the chain. You'll know...             
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 03:46:53 PM by Texas 103 »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »

I have heard some people complain of noise from the Hayden but mine is quiet. I have had one on my old WG Evo for years. Maybe just the differences from my 07 to the newer bikes. I assume that would require a new chain and new comp assembly. I wonder if that would work on my 07. I am still running the first revision of the comp assembly on mine. So far it has held up with the 131 motor. Who knows now that I said that it may give up soon I hope not.

bigsixman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2003 CVO Deuce FXSTDSE
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 09:59:14 PM »

I have had 3 bikes that I installed the Hayden tensioners and I have not had any issues with noise or function with either Hayden.

I only have about 5,000 miles each on two bikes and 1,000 miles on the third, but the Hayden has worked excellent.
2003 fxstdse CVO Deuce, 3,700 miles
2007 fxstd Deuce, 18,500 miles
2017 flhx Street Glide, 6,700 miles
Four 60s & 70s Japanese bikes
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.