Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Review of 2017 CVO Limited after 1077 mile ride home this week  (Read 8120 times)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Review of 2017 CVO Limited after 1077 mile ride home this week
« on: November 04, 2016, 12:43:08 PM »

Flew to Orlando to pick up my new 2017 CVO Limited – Black Garnet/Electric Red Pearl with Carbon Dust. I added just 2 upgrades for the 1000+ mile ride home to NJ – 3 pocket windshield bag and 360 highway brackets. Closed all the paperwork by lunch. If you’re interested in more details on the actual deal just send me a PM. It was definitely worth the trip to Florida.

First impressions. I was a little unsure on the paint scheme but after seeing it in person it’s really spectacular. I wasn’t sure about the black and chrome wheels but I’ve come to really like them. No less than a half dozen people said the paint was outstanding on the trip home.
Break-in: First 50 miles were kept between 2-3000 rpms. I took my time getting familiar with the bike. I’m coming from a 2010 SE Ultra with 60K miles so I’m comfortable with the CVO Limited. I increased rpms to 3500 after the 50 miles and kept in that range for the next 300-400 miles. After that I rode the bike like I would my other bike.

The Outstanding:

-   The sound system is just so perfect. At any speed including over 90, the fidelity is simply excellent. I was still amazed at the end of a 470 mile day just how good it sounded.
-   The engine is remarkable for stock. If you hit the throttle hard at 60, the bike jumps forward, same thing at 70, 80 or even 90. It really is a strong performing engine. I make my comparison to my current bike with serious engine upgrades. It fades after 4000 but for a stock compliant engine it is sweet.
-   The shifting is smooth and precise. No clunk. Just a satisfying, barely noticeable click.
-   Personally, I like the clutch throw. It felt perfect for me and I wouldn’t change it at all. Even though others had an issue with Neutral I found it easily each and every time.
-   Headlights were amazing. There’s almost no need for high beams except in deep woods. I had the dealer flash the software to use both hi-beams and passing lights together.
-   The heated grips are also remarkable. I had several mornings in the mid 50’s and the grips can crank out incredible heat. I never needed to go above setting #1-2. Same for heated seat. Tons of heat.

The Good:

-   The suspension is sure-footed. Slow speed parking lot maneuvers are very stable and backroad twisties just felt…. so easy.
-   The seat is good. Deep with slightly more back support than my 2010 Hammock, but they increased the nose width of the seat. It was OK for me at 6’3” but I really can’t see how shorter riders will find the width of the seat to be acceptable.
-   Hand controls are OK as I’m still learning them. I didn’t use the CB but I can see how it will be a nightmare having the PTT button on the throttle hand.
-   The vented fairing does help somewhat but its only slightly better in my opinion than the vent closed. The windshield is very good. Perfect height for me.
-   There’s still lots of heat from the water-cooled engine. It was 94 when I left Florida and the fairing fans were cranking to keep the engine temps down. I’ll be installing the CoolFan shortly. Still better than my 110 CVO.
-   The 1-handed tourpak and saddlebags are very good, but you all new that already.

The Ugly:

-   The floorboards are just too close. I’ll be getting extenders to get more comfortable.
-   The rear brake position is ridiculous. Its nearly impossible to use if you have a size 12. I’ll be getting either the Soft Brake or EZ brake right away.
-   Overall the brakes are excellent. Strong performance, just a poorly designed position with your foot under the rear brake when resting on the floorboard.
-   Finally the overall design of the Boom system needs to have a complete remake. Some lawyer needs to be fired. It feels like a GPS system from a decade ago. The system will tell you to exit the highway in 2 miles but give you no idea if its right or left. Insane. At least they should pop up an arrow for which side you’re getting off. The system can’t even pronounce the road you’re getting on to. Garmin’s systems have been doing that for almost 10 years.
-   And locking out the ability to enter a searchable destination is just insane. They expect me to get off the road to type a city name on my route so I can look for a restaurant up ahead??? Come on, that’s ridiculous and more dangerous than just letting me click an OK button so I know it’s dangerous to enter a destination.
-   And maneuvering with the HK menus is just too darn complicated. Too many steps to get to basic functions. Just downright poor design.
-   Sadly I’ll be solving this immediately with a bracket for my Garmin 665.

Summary:
Damn good piece of machinery. Other than the GPS setup, you can tell lots of smart engineers and techs designed an excellent, well-balanced, luxurious and powerful touring motorcycle. Now they need to just find a way to keep the lawyers away from hand-cuffing the technology.

Next steps:
Even though the stock performance is excellent, I’ll be upgrading to the 117 performance kit with Street Cannons within the first 60 days so the upgrade is covered under the factory and ESP warranties. Can’t wait for my next ride…… later today!!!!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 07:04:07 PM by Heatwave »

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

Re: Review of 2017 CVO Limited after 1077 mile ride home this week
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 12:44:55 PM »

Here's a few more pics

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 12:45:35 PM »

More pics

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »

Final pic

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 01:23:04 PM »

Gorgeous bike and great review. I agree with everything you said including loving the clutch and hating the GPS compared to my Garmin 590. I just cant get my head around installing another GPS system when it has one smack in the middle of everything. Hoping I get used to it.
I already did the stage 3 117 kit and it really runs great now. My other bike has a 124 in it so I wouldn't say the 117 is in that range but its also under warranty which God knows I need (124 on its way back to S&S as we speak to get re built after a fastener came loose and cracked the case 5 months after warranty ran out...) and the torque is fantastic. Almost runs exact opposite of my 124 which really doesn't get moving until after 3000 rpm's and the new bike pulls crazy hard all the way down but as you said "runs out" around 4000 rpm's. I did the Fullsac 2 1/4 baffles but can tell that cat is really "bottling" things up.
I personally will say that color combo you have is the best looking Limited I have ever seen, enjoy!!
Alan

HillCity

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE Ultraviolet Blue/Molten Lava Flames
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 06:15:31 PM »

Thanks for the great review!  Sounds like a great ride to break in a new bike.  Enjoy!

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 06:58:44 PM »

Gorgeous bike and great review. I agree with everything you said including loving the clutch and hating the GPS compared to my Garmin 590. I just cant get my head around installing another GPS system when it has one smack in the middle of everything. Hoping I get used to it.
I already did the stage 3 117 kit and it really runs great now. My other bike has a 124 in it so I wouldn't say the 117 is in that range but its also under warranty which God knows I need (124 on its way back to S&S as we speak to get re built after a fastener came loose and cracked the case 5 months after warranty ran out...) and the torque is fantastic. Almost runs exact opposite of my 124 which really doesn't get moving until after 3000 rpm's and the new bike pulls crazy hard all the way down but as you said "runs out" around 4000 rpm's. I did the Fullsac 2 1/4 baffles but can tell that cat is really "bottling" things up.
I personally will say that color combo you have is the best looking Limited I have ever seen, enjoy!!

I'm looking to stay stock this time so I'm planning to use the Street Cannons with the Harley 117 Performance kit and Street Tuner. Depending how it feels after that, I'm sure there will be lots of headpipe options to consider in a few months.

Did you have your 117 performance kit dynoed? If so can you post the chart? The HD Parts Catalog shows 110hp/118tq at the rear wheel. My guess is that with a performance headpipe and a "proper" tune, it should be in the 118-120hp / 125-130tq range which would be outstanding for a mostly factory setup.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:39:12 PM by Heatwave »

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 01:46:18 AM »

I'm looking to stay stock this time so I'm planning to use the Street Cannons with the Harley 117 Performance kit and Street Tuner. Depending how it feels after that, I'm sure there will be lots of headpipe options to consider in a few months. I have a Powervision on my current CVO and might consider using it with an aftermarket headpipe. I'll hang on to the factory headpipe should I "need" to go back in the future.

Did you have your 117 performance kit dynoed? If so can you post the chart? The HD Parts Catalog shows 110hp/118tq at the rear wheel. My guess is that with a performance headpipe and a "proper" tune, it should be in the 118-120hp / 125-130tq range which would be outstanding for a mostly factory setup.
Dealer used new HD tuner when they did the 117 kit but I agree with you that there is definitely "more there". My plan right now is to wait for Fullsac to come up with their header and then tune with TTS which will allow me to flash back if necessary to keep warranty in tact. I have a terrific relationship with my dealer and they are on board with this even telling me they would do the flash if after the factory warranty runs out and the ESP is needed and they send someone out.
Alan

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 06:27:23 AM »

Very Nice !! Good Luck with the New Ride !!!

Dante
DND

mstrobes

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 11:56:44 PM »

Nice write up. great looking ride.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 12:04:40 AM »

I have the same plan. Only difference is using a Fuelmoto headpipe and Powervision tuner. It sounds like your dealer didn't put the bike on the dyno after the 117 upgrade. I'm planning to get a before (stock) and after 117 upgrade dynos for comparison.
I do intend to change out the head pipe and do a TTS tuner around the end of the year. Waiting for Fullsac to come out with theirs. I definitely have to get rid of that cat!
Alan

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 08:43:55 AM »

Congratulations on a very stunning bike! I feel your review was very accurate comparing my test ride on one from Harley Demo Days.
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 09:01:33 AM »

Good review.  Agreed on most points, except I have ridden mine in 90+ temps (Florida) and the heat does not bother me from the engine.  Rear brake pedal has not been an issue for me. 

Did the Vtwin floorboard extenders.  Nice improvement.

Infotainment deal is very confusing at first.  After that it is just frustrating.  Do not know anyone pleased with the GPS function when routing specific roads for a route.  HD could have done a better job on the GPS no doubt.  The rest of it works ok, but it is a maze of button pushes.  Sound quality is excellent.

Fresh out of the box a good ride, lots of power.  Turned off the EITMS for now, if heat becomes a problem next summer will turn it back on.  Get strange looks sometimes at a gas station when the fans are running.  ;D

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:27:15 AM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 09:27:14 AM »

Thanks for the review....I too was a Garmin Guy for years and when I got my 15 I also hated the Infotainment System and was going to install a Zumo.

But after a while and getting more familiar with it, I have warmed up to it and feel it is really not that bad of a unit.

Good luck with your new bike!

Cat

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 09:32:14 AM »

Good review.  Agreed on most points, except I have ridden mine in 90+ temps (Florida) and the heat does not bother me from the engine.  Rear brake pedal has not been an issue for me. 

Did the Eglide floorboard extenders.  Nice improvement.

Infotainment deal is very confusing at first.  After that it is just frustrating.  Do not know anyone pleased with the GPS function when routing specific roads for a route.  HD could have done a better job on the GPS no doubt.  The rest of it works ok, but it is a maze of button pushes.  Sound quality is excellent.

Fresh out of the box a good ride, lots of power.  Turned off the EITMS for now, if heat becomes a problem next summer will turn it back on.  Get strange looks sometimes at a gas station when the fans are running.  ;D

Thanks. I wouldn't say the heat was an issue. In fact I think they did an excellent job directing the engine heat away from the rider. I just wanted those reading the review to understand there is still significant (although far less) heat from the water-cooled 114 after its been heated up on a warm day and then stopped at multiple lights in a row. One other thing on heat. Once the engine was heated up alot from highway riding, temps above 90 i noticed ALOT of heat on my shins riding with my feet on the highway pegs. Of course that position puts the vented engine heat from the radiators right onto my shins. It seemed to get worse the longer I rode to the point it was very uncomfortable. I figured WTH, they couldn't have designed it like that. Then I remembered... the lower fairing vents were still closed. Once I opened them it cooled the engine but I also think it changes the airflow around the lowers and almost immediately eliminated the hot vented air from my shins. I'll be leaving the vents open all the time unless its an extraordinary cold day.

While I've learned the Nav unit more and it is better than I originally felt, its still unacceptably complex and slow to get to simple functions. I'll be adding my Garmin and using the Boom system primarily for its sound system.

The bike goes in next week for the 117 upgrade, Street Cannons, Street tuner and Coolfan installs.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 11:16:47 AM »

Thanks. I wouldn't say the heat was an issue. In fact I think they did an excellent job directing the engine heat away from the rider. I just wanted those reading the review to understand there is still significant (although far less) heat from the water-cooled 114 after its been heated up on a warm day and then stopped at multiple lights in a row. One other thing on heat. Once the engine was heated up alot from highway riding, temps above 90 i noticed ALOT of heat on my shins riding with my feet on the highway pegs. Of course that position puts the vented engine heat from the radiators right onto my shins. It seemed to get worse the longer I rode to the point it was very uncomfortable. I figured WTH, they couldn't have designed it like that. Then I remembered... the lower fairing vents were still closed. Once I opened them it cooled the engine but I also think it changes the airflow around the lowers and almost immediately eliminated the hot vented air from my shins. I'll be leaving the vents open all the time unless its an extraordinary cold day.

While I've learned the Nav unit more and it is better than I originally felt, its still unacceptably complex and slow to get to simple functions. I'll be adding my Garmin and using the Boom system primarily for its sound system.

The bike goes in next week for the 117 upgrade, Street Cannons, Street tuner and Coolfan installs.

My lower vents were always open, might be why I did not notice the heat back when we were having 90+ days. I will close them when it gets cold enough - living here that is not much of the time. I'm 6'3" & moved the highway pegs lower on the crash bar - noticed that helped with the hot air off the radiators on the shins.  I have some Harley highway peg adapters that are unused now - they allow for positions much closer or further away from the crash bar depending upon comfort/leg length.  They were on my 07 CVO SEULTRA but did not need them on the 2010 or on this 2017 so far.

Very pleased with the sound system portion. Will probably end up with a handlebar mounted GPS later than sooner & will likely be a Garmin.  The visibility of the Infotainment screen is very good, might look into something that would allow a programmable external GPS to be viewed there - if there is such a thing?

So far no plans for engine upgrades here but look forward with interest to your report after the 117 upgrade.

Overall a very good bike - am more pleased with it from brand new than any other HD I have owned.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 12:58:24 PM »

Thanks for the review....I too was a Garmin Guy for years and when I got my 15 I also hated the Infotainment System and was going to install a Zumo.

But after a while and getting more familiar with it, I have warmed up to it and feel it is really not that bad of a unit.

Good luck with your new bike!

Cat
I agree that the infotainment gps is not that bad but unfortunately it is not that good either.  The display color and resolution is way better than Garmin and it is in a good location to check.  What I don't like however is the inability to select manual recalculation if you go off route.  Even a slight variation may get you on a different road to your next waypoint.  And it doesn't follow the predetermined route I've created on Mapsource or BaseCamp nearly as well as the Garmin does.  Perhaps that is because the Garmin software and gps device use the very same map database while the moco gps may very well have a different database.  In any case the moco gps is forever trying to 'shortcut' me to the road at the next turn by taking roads that angle over vs. going to the intersection and making a turn.  May be ok but some of the roads it wants me to take don't look good at all.  So I've installed a new RT Zumo 590 to use in conjunction with the built in moco gps.  Maybe between the two of them i can get to where I am headed, lol.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 03:02:18 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

hawg02

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 01:50:51 PM »

Good Read.

But guess I'm a old timer, I dislike the hydraulic clutch! its full or not, no feathering.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 03:05:23 PM »

Good Read.

But guess I'm a old timer, I dislike the hydraulic clutch! its full or not, no feathering.
I tend to agree that the hydro clutch on the '17s doesn't have much of a friction zone but I've trained myself to be a bit more careful as I let it out if I need to feather it.  Other than that I like it fine but then again I've had a hydro clutch on all my H-Ds since 2005 so it isn't all that much different then the ones on my other bikes.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 11:03:21 AM »

Dear Heatwave:

You may have found it already or moved on to your Garmin, but there is a setting for the GPS (lane info or something) that shows a representation of the lanes at the bottom of the map for upcoming maneuvers.  Super helpful when one is on a multi lane road, as it shows which lanes are exits so you know how far to get over.

I will admit that there are far better GPS systems out there, but getting to know the HD system (and learning the thumb controls!) make it far more useful.  It was a steep learning curve.

Best,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »

I agree that there are features in the Harley GPS that are deeper in the menus but its just not intuitive and far too restrictive. I've connected my Zumo through the optional Boom interface http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/35mm-auxiliary-input-kit . I now have my Zumo connected nicely into the Boom system and can play my music and get all direction cues through the Boom audio or my headset.

Dear Heatwave:

You may have found it already or moved on to your Garmin, but there is a setting for the GPS (lane info or something) that shows a representation of the lanes at the bottom of the map for upcoming maneuvers.  Super helpful when one is on a multi lane road, as it shows which lanes are exits so you know how far to get over.

I will admit that there are far better GPS systems out there, but getting to know the HD system (and learning the thumb controls!) make it far more useful.  It was a steep learning curve.

Best,

Mark
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 21 queries.