Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Fall colors (or lack of)  (Read 5268 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Fall colors (or lack of)
« on: November 07, 2016, 11:43:44 AM »

Wife and I made a weekend trip through parts of AR and MO with hopes of finding some color. We rode from Muskogee to I-40 east over to Russellville picking up 7 north. 7 north to 123 east to 64 north and spent the night in Branson. And just so you know its getting to dang cold to tent camp....lol. Left Branson Sunday morning on 76 west and rode it to 43 turning south towards home. Guys there are not a lot of color out there that we saw. Wife and I have a few days of vacation coming up next week and was wondering if anyone is seeing fall colors and where they were at.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
Re: Fall colors (or lack of)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 06:27:05 PM »

Well, you may have saved me a trip up there! Was considering making a similar run this week or next. We tried to hit the colors in Colorado and North Carolina this year. Perhaps we were a little early, but found very limited color in both places.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 07:46:37 PM »

I am guessing this warmer weather that is still making riding very comfortable is the same weather that is causing us to miss the color change. We are thinking maybe wondering towards the Smokies next during next week's vacation and see what luck brings us

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 08:41:43 PM »

Same for the NC Mnts.......lack of rain, leaves falling before much color.....one of the worst I've seen in recent memory.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 01:16:25 AM »

Wife and I made a weekend trip through parts of AR and MO with hopes of finding some color. We rode from Muskogee to I-40 east over to Russellville picking up 7 north. 7 north to 123 east to 64 north and spent the night in Branson. And just so you know its getting to dang cold to tent camp....lol. Left Branson Sunday morning on 76 west and rode it to 43 turning south towards home. Guys there are not a lot of color out there that we saw. Wife and I have a few days of vacation coming up next week and was wondering if anyone is seeing fall colors and where they were at.

Dave,
We've had a very disappointing fall change here at Bull Shoals.  They say 3 things are needed for good fall colors;  1) good sunshiny days, 2) reasonable amounts of rainfall, and 3) cool nights, like into the low 40's. 
Heck, we haven't seen 40's but maybe one or two nights so far, and it's been more in the 60's at night more often than not.  Plus it's been practically rainless for the last 6-8 weeks here.  We're not considered abnormally dry yet, but we are way too dry for late fall. 
Here at the lake, the hardwoods are still green, or are brown with dead leaves.  By Nov 8th, we ought to be past prime now, but we've had minimal color change thanks to the la nina weather pattern here this year. 
It's just been nutty weather...last year with el nino and this one with la nina.  A lot of us are ready for a relatively "normal" weather year!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 10:40:42 AM »

Harry that is pretty much what we saw the whole trip. Shame that it works that way. Temperatures that make the ride so enjoyable are the same temperatures that kills the colors.  With 2K's input sounds like its a lot larger area than just here

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 06:44:17 PM »

Wife and I made a weekend trip through parts of AR and MO with hopes of finding some color.

HA!   ;)   :D

:worthless:

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 10:00:42 AM »

Took this a few minutes ago.  Anything that's green in the pic ought to have been nothing but color, or by now mostly leaves turned brown or empty trees.  But the trees here are acting like it's early October instead of almost mid-November.  Crazy stuff.

Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 05:27:02 PM »

Took this a few minutes ago.  Anything that's green in the pic ought to have been nothing but color, or by now mostly leaves turned brown or empty trees.  But the trees here are acting like it's early October instead of almost mid-November.  Crazy stuff.

Atta Boy!

;)

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 10:49:01 PM »

Just need to go north a little..............then west a little.......... then get on a ferry over to the island ........... and that's where the fall colours are hiding.

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 10:49:44 PM »

one more..........
West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 10:52:28 PM »

and.......
West Coast GTG   

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 10:53:54 PM »

Think I was about a week late getting pic's as most of the leaves had already fallen.
West Coast GTG   

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 11:29:48 PM »

Thank you BT. Yep those are the colors thst seem so elusive around here

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 11:32:05 PM »

Your right Jock, I should have taken some pics along the way, but they would have looked just like the ones I took this summer

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 11:16:03 AM »

Same view as earlier in this thread, another morning shot with the sun hitting the trees out to the right.  Finally getting some cold weather and color, but still not much.  It got down to around 31 early this morning.  Bout time!
Great photos, BT!  Being a good 900 miles north of where I'm at has it's advantages this time of year!  Beautiful scenery...and very photogenic!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 11:19:26 AM by RGlideKid »
Harry

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 06:08:30 PM »

Rode up towards Asheville today..........smoke so thick you didn't have to worry about seeing any colors. And I know Jock......

Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 06:39:44 PM »

Rode up towards Asheville today..........smoke so thick you didn't have to worry about seeing any colors. And I know Jock......

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy!  I forgive you!  HA!

It was indeed a hazy day even down here in the flat land!

Pita

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 05:12:14 PM »

Stowe, Vt--Oct 2016
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 23 queries.