Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: compensator rattle  (Read 2559 times)

accellarator

• Accellarator
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

compensator rattle
« on: December 17, 2016, 12:47:41 PM »

Just installed a baker comp no more rattle. Harley just called because I have a ball bearing sound in my trans when the clutch is engaged and they say its perfectly fine. I guess I will get a baker trans next.
c,w,gibbs

Cecild211

• Ride long and hard
    • TN

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRU 111,000 miles
Re: compensator rattle
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 10:41:52 PM »

Just installed a baker comp no more rattle. Harley just called because I have a ball bearing sound in my trans when the clutch is engaged and they say its perfectly fine. I guess I will get a baker trans next.

I was very excited and pleased with the baker.  Until my stator went out.  It was in 5 months and 9,000 miles.  After removing and inspecting.  Here is what the comp surfaces looked like.  Hope you have better luck.  Had to go back to the Harley SE comp.

Don't know how but I would say surfaces got very hot.  Very disappointed.  I thought it was a great design until I saw this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 06:57:46 AM »

might want to have a look at my " scissor gear" thread. I also am also big fan of Steve's Compensaver. I run the SE Comp & Compensaver.  Gotta get oil to whatever your running to make it live. Compensaver will NOT work with baker compensator.     
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 03:32:51 PM »

I was very excited and pleased with the baker.  Until my stator went out.  It was in 5 months and 9,000 miles.  After removing and inspecting.  Here is what the comp surfaces looked like.  Hope you have better luck.  Had to go back to the Harley SE comp.

Don't know how but I would say surfaces got very hot.  Very disappointed.  I thought it was a great design until I saw this

Which bike of yours was this on?? Do you think that any of this (install maybe??) caused the Stator to go out?? Could the Stator have been the heat source?? Any pics of the Stator??

Thanks for the info.
Ed
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Cecild211

• Ride long and hard
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 08:47:35 PM »

Which bike of yours was this on?? Do you think that any of this (install maybe??) caused the Stator to go out?? Could the Stator have been the heat source?? Any pics of the Stator??

Thanks for the info.
Ed

No I believe the install was great and by the book.  Truly not sure of the cause.  To me it appears to be a lubrication problem. Appears to be a high amount of friction on those surfaces.  Oil was change at 1k and at 5k after install.  Used and still use spectro primary oil.  And I actually do have a pic of the stator

Cecild211

• Ride long and hard
    • TN

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 08:50:25 PM »

Thanks for the info.
Ed

Sorry this was on 2011 fltru at 109,000 miles

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 09:48:17 PM »

No I believe the install was great and by the book.  Truly not sure of the cause.  To me it appears to be a lubrication problem. Appears to be a high amount of friction on those surfaces.  Oil was change at 1k and at 5k after install.  Used and still use spectro primary oil.  And I actually do have a pic of the stator

Thanks for the info and the pic  :2vrolijk_21:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 21 queries.