Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Asking for how best to carry while riding?  (Read 3872 times)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Asking for how best to carry while riding?
« on: January 10, 2017, 02:18:23 PM »

I carry my pistol in a holster on my left ankle facing inward and know that this is not the best way to carry since it limits my access while on the bike.

I am hoping that others could comment as to better ways to carry while riding.

I carry a Ruger 380 and a SW M&P .40

Thanks

Cat

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
Re: Asking for how best to carry while riding?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 03:03:55 PM »

It's all preference, EDC is a Shield 9mm IWB at about 330/4oclock,  Additional if traveling Glock 42 on left ankle in a retention holster.   Optional waist carry: Ruger 45cal OWB in retention holster at 3oclock. being a short round guy, I have to be careful with the ankle rig as the end of the grip will graze the floor board if I get lazy putting my feet down.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 03:59:20 PM »

It is largely preference and comfort, but ultimately I think it should be about safety, complete retention of the weapon, and ease of access.
Let's face it...very few of us are as good as the Sons of Anarchy, so I doubt we'd be able to shoot effectively while riding (especially while the wife is on board!  :o).
I prefer carrying at around 4 or 4:30 on my hip, using a comfortable inside the waistband holster (IWB) with good retention properties.  I carry outside on my belt (OWB) if it wasn't too hot to wear a vest or a jacket to keep the weapon concealed.
But there's another subject that you haven't brought up...where do you carry your additional rounds/magazine?
IMO, if you're going to carry, you need an additional mag or speedloader readily available at all times.  Mine is on my left front hip in a belt holster, at around the 10 o'clock position.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:00:58 PM by RGlideKid »
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 04:36:09 PM »

It is largely preference and comfort, but ultimately I think it should be about safety, complete retention of the weapon, and ease of access.
Let's face it...very few of us are as good as the Sons of Anarchy, so I doubt we'd be able to shoot effectively while riding (especially while the wife is on board!  :o).
I prefer carrying at around 4 or 4:30 on my hip, using a comfortable inside the waistband holster (IWB) with good retention properties.  I carry outside on my belt (OWB) if it wasn't too hot to wear a vest or a jacket to keep the weapon concealed.
But there's another subject that you haven't brought up...where do you carry your additional rounds/magazine?
IMO, if you're going to carry, you need an additional mag or speedloader readily available at all times.  Mine is on my left front hip in a belt holster, at around the 10 o'clock position.
I installed the MagGuts kits in my Magazines with will add 1 or 2 additional rounds depending on the kit. but when I do carry an additional mag I have an old Leatherman/Gerber case that works with my Glock or Shield magazines. Its inconspicuous and outside the pants with for me makes it easier to access.  I agree with the retention, both my ankle and OWB holsters are fobus with adjustable retention and hold firmly. I prefer the Crossbreed IWB holster I have for the Shield over others that I have tried.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 06:44:36 PM »

IWB for cross draw works for me since I'm lefttie. can draw & rest across the right arm while still holding the throttle or shoot to the left. usually keep spare mag in saddle bag with box of 50 to back that up when ever I'm on a trip (car or bike ). also have CC vest with gun pocket & shoulder harness for S&W 686,357 or judge
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:50:10 PM by 08glide »
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 08:21:48 PM »

Carry the same riding, driving, or around the house. Consistency is a key for me. Same place, same spot, every time. IWB works best for me for all activities. Went through several different firearms before finding what works for all and right now the Springfield XDS 45 with a 3.3 barrel is where I am at, but really wanting to spend some time.with a Kember U/C.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 09:22:20 PM »

Carry the same riding, driving, or around the house. Consistency is a key for me. Same place, same spot, every time. IWB works best for me for all activities. Went through several different firearms before finding what works for all and right now the Springfield XDS 45 with a 3.3 barrel is where I am at, but really wanting to spend some time.with a Kember U/C.
Stick with the XD, It isn't a finicky bastard.

IWB or OWB on my strong side or in a CC vest. My thought process falls back to avoiding a confrontation at all cost but be prepared just in case.  I really don't see the need to ever fire from the bike as the bike itself is a way out of a situation. I chuckle at some of the younger guys I know that are spending money like crazy for the latest gotta have it holster for the car/truck. Always have to have the weapon within a short reach. If they were paying attention to their surroundings at all times, they'd have plenty of time to retrieve a gun no matter where it's kept on them. Situational awareness.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 09:32:06 PM »

While I do always ride with my full jacket, I've never had any reason not to simply wear my XD45 Service Model securely on my right hip.  And, if I need more than 14 rounds of .45acp, I'm doing something wrong.  And yes, Condition One as they would say... or like Rooster would say, A gun that isn't loaded isn't of any use... or something like that.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 09:39:13 PM »

Totally agree, OBB, lots of ways to avoid the problems and being aware of your surroundings is at the top of the list.

Still surprises me in the day of the CCW how many have forgotten how effective and edged weapon is in close quarters

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 09:40:45 PM »

While I do always ride with my full jacket, I've never had any reason not to simply wear my XD45 Service Model securely on my right hip.  And, if I need more than 14 rounds of .45acp, I'm doing something wrong.  And yes, Condition One as they would say... or like Rooster would say, A gun that isn't loaded isn't of any use... or something like that.

XDS is only 5 +1

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 09:41:53 PM »

Sorry OP....got off topic

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 10:01:44 PM »

IWB or OWB on my strong side or in a CC vest. My thought process falls back to avoiding a confrontation at all cost but be prepared just in case.  I really don't see the need to ever fire from the bike as the bike itself is a way out of a situation. I chuckle at some of the younger guys I know that are spending money like crazy for the latest gotta have it holster for the car/truck. Always have to have the weapon within a short reach. If they were paying attention to their surroundings at all times, they'd have plenty of time to retrieve a gun no matter where it's kept on them. Situational awareness.

Right on.  My mind would be on getting on the binders and using the bike itself for cover or looking for a way out, for which a bike's nimbleness provides an advantage, not on drawing while keeping the bike going down the road one-handed.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 06:50:28 AM »

I appreciate the replies.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned a shoulder holster?

Is this due to the concealment issue or just that practical to use while riding a motorcycle?

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 07:54:22 AM »

IWB for cross draw works for me since I'm lefttie. can draw & rest across the right arm while still holding the throttle or shoot to the left. usually keep spare mag in saddle bag with box of 50 to back that up when ever I'm on a trip (car or bike ). also have CC vest with gun pocket & shoulder harness for S&W 686,357 or judge

They  did.    :coolblue:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 08:43:39 AM »

I use a Milt Sparks IWB that is tuckable for my Kimber Ultra Carry, about 4 or 4:30 on the waist most the time.  I have also started using a CC vest with a inner retention pocket.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.