Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: No more individual state HOG rallies?  (Read 3564 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
No more individual state HOG rallies?
« on: February 02, 2017, 11:24:57 PM »

This article is from this past October, so maybe I missed someone here picking up on it, but it bears discussing.

http://www.thecycleblog.com/2016/10/11/2017-will-be-the-year-of-the-regional-hog-rally/

If this is for real, then what else is around the bend?

Here's an excerpt from the article:
"Harley-Davidson has announced that they will be eliminating individual state H.O.G. rallies, instead holding regional, multi-state rallies in 2017. This model has been tested in the Pacific Northwest over the last 3 years, combining Oregon, Idaho and Washington rallies at a different location each year. The Motor Company is taking this approach in an effort to increase rider participation and encourage dealerships to take a more active role in the events. (See below for tentative 2017 HOG Rally Dates and Locations)

Over the last several years rally attendance nationwide has declined due to inconsistency in the rallies, poor locations and venues, and competing events among other things.  The new plan is to hold fewer rallies but offer a better overall experience for those who attend the events."
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Re: No more individual state HOG rallies?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 06:49:03 AM »

Not shocked by this...expected, actually

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »

If consolidating and coordinating rallies results in a better product and better vendor turnout, all the better. Hopefully, they will also be able to offer demo rides and other H-D promotions. But not too impressed with some of their chosen locations (Temple, TX and Ardmore, OK). I guess we can't always go to NW Arkansas!
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 11:07:03 AM »

If consolidating and coordinating rallies results in a better product and better vendor turnout, all the better. Hopefully, they will also be able to offer demo rides and other H-D promotions. But not too impressed with some of their chosen locations (Temple, TX and Ardmore, OK). I guess we can't always go to NW Arkansas!

You got that right!   :bananarock:
I noticed their choice of locations was a little strange, as well.  Hey, our GTG's are turning out to be pretty darn nice anyway.  Plus, there's an all bike rally in Hot Springs Arkansas every September, and they consistently had better bands on Friday and Saturday nights than the Hog Rally, whether it went to Fayetteville or Hot Springs.
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 03:30:33 PM »

I haven't read into this much at all... Our Rallies in Alaska are divided between Chapters 0066 and 0068.

On Even numbered years we hold the Rally in the Southern Region of Alaska... Anchorage, Palmer, Mat-Su Valley in general, Kenai, and others, as the Southern Alaska venue has more locations to offer.

On the Odd numbered years, you really only have one choice, and that would be Fairbanks.

So I wonder if the powers that be are going to attempt to include Alaska into the Western Regional Rallies... as we are considered that as far as management goes for Regional Directors.

What will they do for Hawaii?
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 10:51:53 PM »

The Northwest Hog Rally has been held in Spokane a few times, let's be honest, that price to enter just to look around and see what's going on for the day is way over priced. Better to go for a couple hundred mile ride in the mountains.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 11:48:44 PM »

Just don't think I'll miss the HOG state rallys.  As a matter of fact......don't think I'll miss anything that's HOG related.  It's a marketing gimmick to get people together and put miles on your bike.....so they make more money in the service dept.

I don't have any problems finding people to ride with....my kind of people and I don't have any problem finding places to go and nearly always much more interesting locations than anything I've ever seen HOG advertise.

Come to think of it.....for those reasons and others, I'm just not a good fit for HOG.  Nope, I'll not miss it a bit! :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 09:35:50 AM »

Just don't think I'll miss the HOG state rallys.  As a matter of fact......don't think I'll miss anything that's HOG related.  It's a marketing gimmick to get people together and put miles on your bike.....so they make more money in the service dept.

I don't have any problems finding people to ride with....my kind of people and I don't have any problem finding places to go and nearly always much more interesting locations than anything I've ever seen HOG advertise.

Come to think of it.....for those reasons and others, I'm just not a good fit for HOG.  Nope, I'll not miss it a bit! :P

Yes, and come to think of it, I can't remember ever meeting any new friends at the two HOG rallies we attended.  And we were disappointed in both of them as I recall.  We like smaller groups where you get to meet good folks who share fun times on day rides and then evening eating, drinking, and relaxing tale time.

JC, you're fortunate you live in such a beautiful area of the country.  I can't imagine it's ever hard to find other good people to ride with or interesting places to go see.  In this part of Arkansas, we have many less bikers and fewer still CVO owners.  And the distances are greater between people and things to do and see, it seems.  But it's what we chose, and I'm not complaining!
No, if we want a rally, we go to Hot Springs, and now to Eureka Springs, which is more of my favorite type of "rally" anyway!
Harry

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 11:04:37 AM »

Never been to a HOG rally. Are they worth it?

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 11:12:50 AM »

They can be fun, like any other rally, but we found we enjoyed other rallies more.  Of course, it's neat to see all the bikes and get ideas from them and the owners, and who knows, you might make new friends or riding buddies.  It's always nice to meet new like-minded folks in your area.
We must be wired differently, cause after doing the rally thing for a few years, we tired of it.  We prefer weekend adventures with smaller groups, or just heading off on our own and see where the bike wants to go.
We also got spoiled after doing the HOG rally here and doing the Hot Springs all-bike rally for about 7 years.  For one thing, the concerts were awesome, and we always got front row plus it was indoors.  We saw some awesome groups, whereas the HOG rally seemed to be out of touch with the people who would attend and got some weird/funky/crappy groups.  I can only remember enjoying one of their concerts over the years.  Must've been the Arkansas team that put it on, as I'm sure not all the states were like that.  Plus I know it's personal preference, too.
Harry

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 02:08:21 PM »

Haven't been to one of the state events in (best guess) 12-15 years.  By then they'd gotten to be very cookie cutter affairs.  Same things in different places.  This wouldn't be bad if the "same" things weren't all too regularly a little lame.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »

I have been to some HOG really's that were a blast, like Cookeville TN, Maryville TN, Louisville KY.

I have been to some that just plain Sucked, Jackson TN for example.  If that had been my first HOG rally I would have never gone again.

It depends on the Dealer and local HOG chapter and what their is to do in the area as to weather its a good one or not.

Maryville and Cookeville the dealers owners are avid riders and provide good support.  The chapters are good and there is lots of good riding in the area. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 01:44:04 PM »

I have been to some HOG really's that were a blast, like Cookeville TN, Maryville TN, Louisville KY.

I have been to some that just plain Sucked, Jackson TN for example.  If that had been my first HOG rally I would have never gone again.

It depends on the Dealer and local HOG chapter and what their is to do in the area as to weather its a good one or not.

Maryville and Cookeville the dealers owners are avid riders and provide good support.  The chapters are good and there is lots of good riding in the area.

This is true, Dave.  At one time, Hot Springs Arkansas had a small to medium dealer in Jones Harley.  I never cared for them, and didn't know too many that did.  They closed that store down years ago, and Hot Springs still has no H-D dealership.  Then Jones sold their other two stores to a big car dealer here in Arkansas.  Not sure how that's working out, but the first year they were open, the car dealer was running TV ads for the Harley dealerships and the owners were wearing suits in the ads just like they did for their car commercials.  I visited the Little Rock store and they were playing top 40/pop on the store radio.  Sometimes they'd have water available, sometimes not.  I seem to remember going to the water fountain if I wanted a drink of anything from them.  I never saw them cooking or out schmoozing with the customers.  They also started selling ATV's which I wasn't sure how they got away with.  The car dealerships were huge and very successful, but as we all know, selling Harleys is another matter altogether.  I understand they lost some key guys that first year as well.  Clearly they weren't using anyone else's advice on how best to operate their two new dealerships - at least at first it seemed that way.  Either that or they weren't asking for advice. 
Long story short...I'm not sure that for other than Pig Trail H-D in Rogers, the two other dealerships in central Arkansas were not in touch.  That's probably at least part of the reason why the Hot Springs HOG rallies were a disaster.
Harry

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »

It is true, if you log on to HOG.com and under events tab select HOG rallies, it list all the regional rallies that are going on this year. Our rally here in Va, is to combine NC, SC, KY, WVa, if memory serves me correct. Tn is going back to Cooksville this year also. also a National Rally in Milwaukee on labor day weekend.
Smkblwr
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 07:56:48 AM »

It is true, if you log on to HOG.com and under events tab select HOG rallies, it list all the regional rallies that are going on this year. Our rally here in Va, is to combine NC, SC, KY, WVa, if memory serves me correct. Tn is going back to Cooksville this year also. also a National Rally in Milwaukee on labor day weekend.
Smkblwr

That is correct.  They usually do a very good job there, with a couple good bands.  Great roads to ride, and well planned out rides.  Lots to do in the area to keep it fun.  The Owner of the dealership is very involved, and a rider.  Last couple times owner of SMHD also helped out with it, and the two owners lead rides together.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 09:41:02 AM »

I was on the Va Rally Committee last year, and friends of mine that are on it this year keep saying that corporate HOG is very involved with over seeing all the planning and events this year. They keep saying its gonna be "different" than it has in previous years.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 03:00:39 PM »

I was on the Va Rally Committee last year, and friends of mine that are on it this year keep saying that corporate HOG is very involved with over seeing all the planning and events this year. They keep saying its gonna be "different" than it has in previous years.

Oh great the same bean counters that can't get a motor right are going to throw the parties.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 09:32:58 PM »

Oh great the same bean counters that can't get a motor right are going to throw the parties.

And they're the same guys who thought the Rushmore project was pure genius, too!  Hope the HOG rallies don't turn out to be rushed-more as well.
Harry

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 07:33:37 PM »

I like to think that no matter what the event, my good time is somewhat dependent on me. That being said we have attended four Florida State Rallye's since 2000 that memories actually stick with me.
None of them have been particularly exciting, some were awful (Tampa - Ybor City), some were OK (2016 Lakeland) and the other two were nothing I would go back for. The only reason I went in 16 was for Factory demo truck, it was at the airport, effcently ran and worked out well, Left as soon as we completed riding the bikes I wanted to ride and didn't have to pay to attend.
I think we are spoiled, Daytona is a couple hour ride, twice a year, Panama City a little further but still less than a day also twice a year and the Key West Poker run in September that we love and all are Free. So therefore I balk at paying to go to a small rallye that really offers me very little.
So hopefully the regional rallye's will offer more, better entertainment, a venue with decent parking for the entertainment and folks running the event that want you to be there and cost needs to come down, alot. IMHO.

mark

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 06:59:36 PM »

Ridership is declining and customer base getting older.  Basically, after you go to a state rally or two, you've seen everything - same factory bikes, same vendors.  It also seemed some of the state rally locations were selected to appease dealers, not us.  Just can't get excited about going to a rally in Alexandria, LA (no offense to anyone there).  Best state rally I went to was the Arkansas Rally in Hot Springs, due to the riding area.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 22 queries.