Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stage 3 test ride  (Read 2584 times)

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE
Stage 3 test ride
« on: February 12, 2017, 12:18:36 PM »

I posted this on another forum, but wanted to put it here for other people to see...

So, I went to the HD shop today to get some prices on each stage kit installed. I kept going back and forth between the stage 3 and 4. Anyways, the owner's bike is a new RG with the 114 stage 3, 14 inch bars, and a 26 inch wheel and he let me ride it. Big wheels and apes aren't my thing, but what the heck, it was free, so why not. His stage 3 was exactly that, 114, stock header with Street Cannons, and HD's tuner.

At first start up, I was very surprised at how much louder the exhaust was than my CVO 114. Cruising around, the bike felt good. When twisting it at 2500 RPMs, it felt softer than the stock CVO 114, but shortly after 3k, it started to take off and then felt stronger than my bike. Never did the bike feel weak, just the bottom end wasn't stronger than the long stroke CVO. It was a lot better than my last 110 ever was though.

So, back at the dealer looking at prices and dyno charts, I ended up ordering the 117 stage 3 kit. On paper, the stage 3 is a stronger build where most of us ride 90% of the time and at $2K installed price difference, the stage 4 just didn't make sense to me. Especially, if I ever start chasing numbers, either head will need to be worked over.

Anyways, I know comparing the stage 3 114 against the CVO 114 is an orange and orangutan comparison, but I somewhat knew the bottom end would be softer. I wanted to hear those mufflers and listen to the top end. I would have liked to really test that bike, but I wasn't going to beat someone else's ride (I never shifted higher than 4500 RPMs).

Just sharing the experience...

Chris
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

Re: Stage 3 test ride
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 12:19:11 PM »

Oh, one other thing I asked about:

I asked the master tech and the service manager, if I have you install the stage 3 using all HD parts, and then I install a PV, copy the original tune, then make O2 bias changes to drop the afr down in closed loop... and then, let's say I spin the cam bearing or grenade a lifter. If I flashed the original tune back in, before dropping it off at the shop, could you tell I messed with it? Their response was, "I have nothing here that could see the computer was ever reflashed." I didn't dig any deeper on that...

Chris
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 06:13:28 PM »

that's good info to know  :)
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:52:07 PM »

I have about 4000 miles on my stage 3 117 kit now and here is my opinion. I will start by saying I was pissed when I found out they came out with a stage 4 and I couldn't get it included in my warranty either factory or 7 yr extended because I bought the bike on Oct 13th and it was past the 60 days when the stage 4 came out. Of course even if I could have included it I would have lost a whole bunch of money on the stage 3 I did but still pissed I couldn't do it!
My goal when I bought this bike was to make sure I keep it under warranty the entire 7 years especially since I am in the process currently of putting in another 124 in my CVO Roadglide and yes I have the 7 yr warranty on that bike also but obviously they don't cover aftermarket S&S motors.
I love how easy it is to ride the bike with the stage 3 in it. Very smooth all the way down in revs with great pull. I do think it "runs out" around high 4's in the revs (just when the 124 starts getting very happy..) but to me you just can't run it that way. Went almost 400 miles today to Palm Springs where it was in the low 80's and I was climbing a few thousand feet and bike ran fantastic and never had a ping anywhere and I was messing around to see if it would. Very little shifting needed which is the complete opposite of my other bike which would have been pinging like crazy if I wasn't paying attention and shifting like crazy to keep the revs up.
To sum up, I think the stage 3 overall is great and for me takes the M8 where I can keep that da-- cat in (hate it!) and still have enough power now to enjoy the bike and be able to pass without panicking that I can't get around in time. I do love how much torque it has all the way down (would not have liked losing that with the stage 4) and how easy it is to ride. I have seen online where some have posted dyno's where it didn't look like much of a difference between stock and the stage 3 but to me it was night and day difference in feel
Alan

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »

That does suck about the warranty part.  I bought my bike in November, so it won't be under the factory warranty.  It does have a 1 year warranty on the upgrade and the dealer said they would take care of it for the remainder of the factory 2 year warranty. I guess that is better than nothing.

Thank you for your opinion on the stage 3.  I had an S&S HC 124 in my last bike, so I understand about the winding it up.  With the Baker DD7, the bike was a nice hot rod. It was loud and fast!  For this bike, I want a semi quiet bike that can be a sport touring or long distance rider.  Stock, the bike is very close to that.  Replaced the seat, installed a 10 inch wind splitter, and now it is time to add a little more power.

So far, I have been very happy with the M8.  Hard to believe my future mod list is so short.  lol

Stage 3
Lighter
Floorboard spacers
Rider backrest
Highway pegs

That's it...
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 11:10:01 PM »

That does suck about the warranty part.  I bought my bike in November, so it won't be under the factory warranty.  It does have a 1 year warranty on the upgrade and the dealer said they would take care of it for the remainder of the factory 2 year warranty. I guess that is better than nothing.

Thank you for your opinion on the stage 3.  I had an S&S HC 124 in my last bike, so I understand about the winding it up.  With the Baker DD7, the bike was a nice hot rod. It was loud and fast!  For this bike, I want a semi quiet bike that can be a sport touring or long distance rider.  Stock, the bike is very close to that.  Replaced the seat, installed a 10 inch wind splitter, and now it is time to add a little more power.

So far, I have been very happy with the M8.  Hard to believe my future mod list is so short.  lol

Stage 3
Lighter
Floorboard spacers
Rider backrest
Highway pegs

That's it...
Famous last words...
Alan

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.