Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Reverse Pulley  (Read 7366 times)

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Reverse Pulley
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »

What is the fail safe that prevents the shuttle from moving out of place while in the drive mode?  Just wondering because anything mechanical can and usually will fail.
A video on their site called "411" Explains the operation; a 'shuttle gear' or shift dog is moved inboard for normal and outboard for reverse. That dog is moved by an pneumatic piston in the left end of the axle. The air is provided by a small onboard compressor and (presumably) a solenoid which can mount in a saddlebag. The unit has a small electronic control board and plugs into the CANBUS system. The controller links to the bike's ECM and this controls operation based on neutral selection and stationary position.
That much is in their video.

If I could be allowed to *speculate*... I would bet that there is a spring in the axle that holds the piston in Normal position and that the reverse can only happen with air pressure applied. This would provide a "fail safe" such that if the system for control were to die, it would mechanically "fail" into Normal mode and you could ride on...but without Reverse available.
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

ultrarider123

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 02:43:05 PM »

A video on their site called "411" Explains the operation; a 'shuttle gear' or shift dog is moved inboard for normal and outboard for reverse. That dog is moved by an pneumatic piston in the left end of the axle. The air is provided by a small onboard compressor and (presumably) a solenoid which can mount in a saddlebag. The unit has a small electronic control board and plugs into the CANBUS system. The controller links to the bike's ECM and this controls operation based on neutral selection and stationary position.
That much is in their video.

If I could be allowed to *speculate*... I would bet that there is a spring in the axle that holds the piston in Normal position and that the reverse can only happen with air pressure applied. This would provide a "fail safe" such that if the system for control were to die, it would mechanically "fail" into Normal mode and you could ride on...but without Reverse available.

....or, you could just watch where/how you park and save $2,000..... :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 03:05:36 PM »

....or, you could just watch where/how you park and save $2,000..... :2vrolijk_21:

That's my personal plan.  Know one rider locally though for whom backing on even level surface can be a trial anymore though.  He's strongly consider some reverse option.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 03:05:48 PM »

Six reverse gears could be interesting .  Also a good anti-theft device
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 03:18:21 PM »

I can imagine that someone with a sidehack could find this a huge help once in a while.

2010FLHTCUSE5

ultrarider123

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 03:28:46 PM »

That's my personal plan.  Know one rider locally though for whom backing on even level surface can be a trial anymore though.  He's strongly consider some reverse option.

Agreed....

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 04:41:55 PM »

I certainly agree that this is an ingenious device which offers a solution and while not cheap by any means is less expensive than other options.  But imo it is complicated in that tire changes will be more involved and the electronics and pneumatics necessary to activate and deactivate appear to be more involved that what I would want to contend with.  And even if as reported by MrSurly in a previous post there is a spring to keep it engaged in drive . . . well springs can (and do) break.  Like Twolane and Haird I think I'll just be very cautious about where I park.

On the several occasions where I have gotten myself into a bind and needed a bit of assistance in backing the beast my lovely co-rider has been more than willing to dismount and give a bit of a push.  Problem solved.     :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »

"Anywhere and everywhere" is a line of BS. We've had bikes pretty much sunk to the bags in mud a few times and there's no way this thing would have helped.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »

"Anywhere and everywhere" is a line of BS. We've had bikes pretty much sunk to the bags in mud a few times and there's no way this thing would have helped.

That's sort of a silly argument to make, isn't it? I didn't see on their site where they claimed it was a mud bog device. I think their reference to wet grass and mud etc was talking about the difficulty of pushing the bike backwards due to your FEET lacking traction and having this gadget would make foot traction not matter, not that the bike would become a tractor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2010FLHTCUSE5

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 08:25:07 PM »

That's sort of a silly argument to make, isn't it? I didn't see on their site where they claimed it was a mud bog device. I think their reference to wet grass and mud etc was talking about the difficulty of pushing the bike backwards due to your FEET lacking traction and having this gadget would make foot traction not matter, not that the bike would become a tractor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh no doubt it won't, but to me that wording sounds like marketing spew from someone who's never ridden and then that makes me think of what else might they have exaggerated.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 09:12:32 PM »

I certainly agree that this is an ingenious device which offers a solution and while not cheap by any means is less expensive than other options.  But imo it is complicated in that tire changes will be more involved and the electronics and pneumatics necessary to activate and deactivate appear to be more involved that what I would want to contend with.  And even if as reported by MrSurly in a previous post there is a spring to keep it engaged in drive . . . well springs can (and do) break.  Like Twolane and Haird I think I'll just be very cautious about where I park.

On the several occasions where I have gotten myself into a bind and needed a bit of assistance in backing the beast my lovely co-rider has been more than willing to dismount and give a bit of a push.  Problem solved.     :2vrolijk_21:
Yea Jerry, My reverse as well :2vrolijk_21:

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »

Since my "reverse" got tired of riding and it would probably cost ten times as much to have my legs broken and stretched, I might look into it. I ride a lot of country roads and gravel parking lots where backing up or in is the only solution. $2000 for reverse or $2000 for a painted CVO saddle bag bottom to replace the one I scratch when I slip and fall, what's the difference....
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 07:08:24 PM »

$2000 for reverse or $2000 for a painted CVO saddle bag bottom to replace the one I scratch when I slip and fall, what's the difference....

huge difference.  presumably, the $2k spent for the reverse would be a one time deal.  the $2k for the saddlebag bottom?  well, you could spend it, then mount it, slip and fall and have to spend it again   :'(
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 09:02:21 AM »

huge difference.  presumably, the $2k spent for the reverse would be a one time deal.  the $2k for the saddlebag bottom?  well, you could spend it, then mount it, slip and fall and have to spend it again   :'(

AND... the pulley could migrate to your next bike, or be sold

2010FLHTCUSE5

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 01:20:44 PM »

You both are absolutely correct, in my own strange sense of humor, I was pointing out that the potential damage caused by someone falling over while backing up, makes $2000 for product well worth the investment. Not to mention, these short little nubs of mine are getting old, weak and lazy and I might save myself from a heart attack pushing the bike backwards.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.