Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Branching Out  (Read 2981 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
Branching Out
« on: February 15, 2017, 10:08:04 AM »

I have not been post much on this site lately as I have been riding the new Indians for the past year or so. I still have my 09 CVO Fatbob and plan on keeping it for many years to come but my wife, daughter and I have  decided to try some new things. I have not come here to behave troll like and sell Indians just wanting to say I have discovered that there are other nice bikes out there to enjoy besides the Harleys.

Do any of you all own other brands that you enjoy?

My wife mentioned that one of the new BMW's intrigued her the other day and that one kind of threw me. :o I have rode a few sport bikes lately and the Aparilia was quite interesting. So far for me I am still on the American V twin style bikes. For years I was a one brand man but things have changed for me.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Branching Out
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 12:54:09 PM »

I checked out the Indian and I think that is a great bike.
Bill

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 01:08:54 PM »

I have ridden a couple of the Triumph models and they were nice and the triples were fast but not my style. I have a hard time getting over the square bags. I can understand that some do not like the of vintage style of the Indians.

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 01:29:54 PM »

Owned:
Honda? Yep, 2
Suzuki? Yep, 2.  The only wreck I've had was my first owned bike, a 450L.  And that Hayabusa I had for 8 months?  Dang what a ride...fastest I've ever been on anything with wheels and exactly why I sold it  :nervous:
Yamaha?  Yep, 2.  That 750 SECA was a hoot and first shaft drive bike for me.
Kawasaki?  Yep, 3
BMW?  Nope, I'm too short in the leg department for most of the ones I liked.  Rode and still would like to have an LT...that was a great riding motorcycle but not made for us short'uns
Moto Guzzi?  Nope but have always wanted one.  The new MGX is not the purdiest scooter but those red topped valve covers do something for me. 
Ducati?  Nope, but would like to have a Diavel sitting in the garage....a beautiful bike IMO....and sitting on one it fits me well.
Victory?  Nope and nothing I ever rode had the feel I had to have it.  Actually, of all the demo rides, I came back to the feeling of cheap.  Not knocking them, that's just the way they felt to me.
Triumph?  Not yet.  I would really like to have a Rocket III in the garage....don't know why, just really like that big motor hanging out front.  A Thunderbird would be nice, too
Indian?  Nope but I enjoyed the demo ride at the introduction in 2013 and would not mind having a red/black Chieftain with the new infotainment system.

Doc, as much as I've had and enjoyed/despised other rides over the years, my first Harley besides the one my dad and I tooled with, 1972 EG, was a 1989 EG and haven't really strayed much since then.  28 years and 12 Harleys later, the blood is still stirred every time I crank one up. 

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 01:11:33 PM »

Yeh, if it does stir the blood there is no reason to spend the money.

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 01:55:08 PM »

This will be my next bike. http://motusmotorcycles.com/mstr
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 03:46:33 PM »

This will be my next bike. http://motusmotorcycles.com/mstr

WOW! that ain't not harley cruiser. :orange:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 05:59:04 PM »

Will ride an Indian scout this summer it will be the first time on an Indian. I've always liked the look of the Indian.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 06:09:35 PM »

I have owned  several bikes from the Japanese manufacturers in the past and I enjoyed them all during the time I owned/rode them.

Currently own 2 HD's , the 11.5 CVO ultra and an '01 Fatboy - enjoy 'em both for different reasons. The ultra gives us all the comfort on those day long rides in the country and the Fatboy is great to cruise around town or further if the mood strikes

Then there's my 1996 Ducati 900 SS/CR which is plenty quick enough to satisfy my inner speed junky and potentially get me into legal troubles.... That one's a hoot to ride the curves and pretend I know what I'm doing  ::)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:11:17 PM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 10:44:03 PM »

Not to sound like a party pooper, but if HD keeps going the way they have been, they're going to keep losing business to Indian.  I may just be one of those people; not sure yet.
Yes, I've owned a lot of metric bikes, but am sold on Harley's right now. 
I like the BMW 1600 as a touring bike, but don't think the Indian is quite there yet.  I rode a Gold Wing and liked some things about it, but disliked enough to make me stay away - at the time I test drove it.
I'd love a Ducati, but I'm too old and sore all the time for that style of bike. 
Heck, if my pocketbook was a LOT deeper, I'd have a dozen in the stable!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 12:35:46 AM »

We currently own:
1 Harley
1 Suzuki
1 BMW
2 Hondas
1 Ural
Diversity is a good thing, except when the insurance bill comes

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 08:12:11 AM »

WOW! that ain't not harley cruiser. :orange:
American Made Pushrod V4. Once you test drive one your hooked.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 08:50:51 AM »

American Made Pushrod V4. Once you test drive one your hooked.

They think quite a bit of their product:
MOTUS® MST MSRP $30,975
MOTUS® MSTR MSRP $36,975

Interesting story line on the website if you like history of how something begins.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 11:09:35 PM »

They think quite a bit of their product:
MOTUS® MST MSRP $30,975
MOTUS® MSTR MSRP $36,975

Interesting story line on the website if you like history of how something begins.
The local BMW dealer sells these and I checked them out. All about the motor for sure. Pretty large BMW dealer that sells around 25-35 BMW's per month and only sells around 4 of these per year.
Alan

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 10:18:15 AM »

Not to sound like a party pooper, but if HD keeps going the way they have been, they're going to keep losing business to Indian.  I may just be one of those people; not sure yet.
Yes, I've owned a lot of metric bikes, but am sold on Harley's right now. 
I like the BMW 1600 as a touring bike, but don't think the Indian is quite there yet.  I rode a Gold Wing and liked some things about it, but disliked enough to make me stay away - at the time I test drove it.
I'd love a Ducati, but I'm too old and sore all the time for that style of bike. 
Heck, if my pocketbook was a LOT deeper, I'd have a dozen in the stable!

I don't think Harley has to do poorly for Indian to be successful. I was never really dissatisfied with my Harleys
 so much as I wanted the style and ride of the new Indians. There was a time that I never thought I would own anything other than a Harley Davidson. Just another proof to never say never.

One more comment about the "American made" reason to buy Harley. They ain't all American any more. Neither is Indian but this was always advertised as a reason to buy a Harley. :-[

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 11:23:37 AM »

I don't think Harley has to do poorly for Indian to be successful. I was never really dissatisfied with my Harleys
 so much as I wanted the style and ride of the new Indians. There was a time that I never thought I would own anything other than a Harley Davidson. Just another proof to never say never.

One more comment about the "American made" reason to buy Harley. They ain't all American any more. Neither is Indian but this was always advertised as a reason to buy a Harley. :-[

You're right...they don't, but still...Harley needs to fix some things or some will get tired of paying a premium for less quality.  I've never been dissatisfied with my Harley's either, other than minor things, but we all know that problems with our CVO's will arise with components that should not present us with problems.
I hear you about never saying never.  There are things I like about the Indians, but then there are things I like about the Beemers, too.  Time will tell, and the things both companies do in the next few years is going to make a lot of people's minds up.  I hope Harley is truly aware of that.  I do love my bike and will stay with them if staying with them makes the most sense.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 09:03:08 PM »

We currently own:
1 Harley
1 Suzuki
1 BMW
2 Hondas
1 Ural
Diversity is a good thing, except when the insurance bill comes

Tested a Ural a few weeks back. Great utilitarian bike. This one was 2wd. I probably would own one now but they have one flaw I can't deal with. No power, 45 horsepower sucks. I rode the chair and the dealership owner was on the bike. I would guess the Ural was hauling 500lbs. of men. We got out on the interstate and struggled to make 65mph. I just can't see touring on one of those if you have to get on the interstate. Other than that they are cool but 45 horsepower should be 75.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 11:06:12 PM »

I like the Motus and if I were younger, and dumber, I might even buy one. But do to the aging process I am hopefully smarter and realize with no established dealer network and high initial cost they will fail, probably sooner than later.
I rode a new top of the line Indian @ Bikeweek last year, Vibrates, the higher you rev it, the more it shakes. POC in my opinion.
BMW high end tour bikes look very interesting. Closest dealer 50 miles away and were rude one Saturday when we stopped to look at them while riding my Harley. Never go back or buy a BMW.
All of the start up companies are scary to me, folks including myself never thought the Victory line would fail and now it has and all those people who invested there hard earned money have a steadily decreasing in value product. I personally think Indian is on a downward slope already, Polaris has already shown they have no loyalty to customers and if Indian gets a little slow, they are gone.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.