Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tire pressure system  (Read 4057 times)

ZVO

• Dark Platimum? That’s Silver and Black
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE - Gone
Tire pressure system
« on: February 16, 2017, 09:55:06 PM »

Sucks...always malfunctions, never reads correctly why would Harley install sucks a inferior system?
The Autumn Wind is a pirate.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Tire pressure system
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 10:27:17 PM »

Mine has been dead on,  no issues
Alan

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 12:09:46 AM »

Sucks...always malfunctions, never reads correctly why would Harley install sucks a inferior system?

Habit
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 06:34:13 AM »

Mine has been dead on,  no issues

Mine works great - One of my favorite options on the bike.   Makes me feel much safer!

Whats the history of your bike?    Tires been replaced?   Running Nitrogen instead of O2?  Anything else that might have affected the system?   Also Electronics could potentially interfere with the signals from the Tire Pressure Monitors...   Any accessories that might be transmitting RF and interfering?   There are also batteries in the TPMS Sensors in the Valve Stems that periodically need to be replaced.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 07:59:48 AM »

Mine reads one pound low on both front and rear from my trusty gage.  I really like the system, much easier to check pressure.  Also easy to keep and eye on pressure.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 08:36:46 AM »

What does your dealer and H-D have to say about it?  Have you taken the bike in and insisted they fix it?

Many people have claimed theirs works great, so I'd guess there is something wrong with your particular parts OR something else is interfering with it's operation.  And there have been a few reports of defective wheel sensors having to be replaced almost immediately.  If I've learned nothing else about Harley, I've learned they never have a smooth and seamless launch of "new to them" technology, even though it's actually old technology in the auto world.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 08:46:23 AM »

Mine works great. Very nice to be able to check pressure so easily.  Like others have said something is faulty in your system. Hopefully easy to remedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 09:09:12 AM »

Habit
Being in the auto industry for years, I have noticed that a lot of people do not understand how they work, I have had people tell me that when the low TPM came on, they looked at the tire and said it doesn't look low??? Also tire pressure changes with temperature, so if your TPM light is on when you first start out, it may go off as the tire heats up, the best advise is set the tire pressure to spec when cold and check it with a known good tire gauge (they all are not as accurate as you think) if after that then I would contact the dealer as GRC recommends, I have not had any issues with mine, it seems to be functioning as designed.     
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

ZVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 01:28:55 PM »

Mine works great - One of my favorite options on the bike.   Makes me feel much safer!

Whats the history of your bike?    Tires been replaced?   Running Nitrogen instead of O2?  Anything else that might have affected the system?   Also Electronics could potentially interfere with the signals from the Tire Pressure Monitors...   Any accessories that might be transmitting RF and interfering?   There are also batteries in the TPMS Sensors in the Valve Stems that periodically need to be replaced.

Stock, I've seen it read upwards to 45 psi on a hot day.

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »

Stock, I've seen it read upwards to 45 psi on a hot day.

What's are your cold psi numbers?  The pressure is gonna rise once they start rolling...friction and physics...which is why the tire pressure posted on the sidewall is max load PSI, cold.  I'm not attempting to give you a science lesson here but that may be what's happening...  :nixweiss:

My '15 doesn't have the factory TPS but I installed the Fobo fobs and app.  I still check manually but the electronic devil is very handy at times.  I keep them at 38 fr, 40 rear.  I can see 42 fr and 45 rear after riding it a bit.  Once the tires cool down, I get pretty much back to 38 and 40. 

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 03:25:19 PM »

What's are your cold psi numbers?  The pressure is gonna rise once they start rolling...friction and physics...which is why the tire pressure posted on the sidewall is max load PSI, cold.  I'm not attempting to give you a science lesson here but that may be what's happening...  :nixweiss:

Yep -    You should always check tires PSI cool (before you ride) because the Air expands as you ride and the tire gets hot.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »

A good rule of thumb is a one psi increase or decrease for every ten degree Fahrenheit change in temperature.  This is why it's very important to check and adjust cold inflation pressures whenever the ambient conditions change significantly.  If you inflate your tires to the recommended cold pressure when it's 80°F outside, then have a severe cold front come roaring through, you will find your tires severely underinflated.  On the flip side, if you start out at 30°F and a big heat wave comes through, your tires will be overinflated.  Either under or over can create safety issues.

It is perfectly normal for those TPMS readings to increase as the tires heat up during operation.  Once again, verify with a known accurate gauge if you believe your system is giving you bogus readings.  Having TPMS doesn't mean you can throw away your gauges, you still need to do old fashioned inflation checks and tire inspections.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 06:18:07 PM »

A good rule of thumb is a one psi increase or decrease for every ten degree Fahrenheit change in temperature.  This is why it's very important to check and adjust cold inflation pressures whenever the ambient conditions change significantly.  If you inflate your tires to the recommended cold pressure when it's 80°F outside, then have a severe cold front come roaring through, you will find your tires severely underinflated.  On the flip side, if you start out at 30°F and a big heat wave comes through, your tires will be overinflated.  Either under or over can create safety issues.

It is perfectly normal for those TPMS readings to increase as the tires heat up during operation.  Once again, verify with a known accurate gauge if you believe your system is giving you bogus readings.  Having TPMS doesn't mean you can throw away your gauges, you still need to do old fashioned inflation checks and tire inspections.

Jerry

Unless you inflate with nitrogen (especially Screamin' Eagle NitroChromeGentm).  That chit is perfectly stable in any environment, perfectly resists all ambient variation and deflects all tire permeability. 

ZVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 08:17:38 PM »

Went to the dealership and Using a tire gague the tech said my front tires were at 36 psi...and it read 45 on the digital screen. He said the valve stems constantly malfunction causing it to read wrong.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 07:49:12 AM »

Mine have worked great so far. My problem is my front tire actually looses air and they can't find a leak lol. Your pressure will change after riding and when the outside air temp fluctuates a lot. It sounds like you have a faulty TPM sensor that needs to be replaced. It should be a warranty item.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.