Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chrome issues  (Read 2366 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Chrome issues
« on: February 18, 2017, 03:00:59 PM »

I don't really understand what's going on with the chrome on a quality high cost product.
I've been noticing that the chrome is starting to flake in different spots like foot brake lever arm, bottom of one lower fork, gear shifting arm, and what really got me today,..I saw rust starting around the mounting screw and chrome plate light cover. I removed the screw and the cover is PLASTIC the rust was from the screw, they couldn't even put a stainless one in.
My bike is 10 year's old this May and I got it in 2011 with 6k on it and I've put another 10k on since I retired a total of 16k to date. It's been cleaned on a regular basis and 95% of good weather riding. Why is the chrome starting to flake? I dread what it will look like in two years time.
Are there chrome issues with HD products.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Chrome issues
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »

Your issue isn't isolated... many threads about this. You may want to try searching for peeling chrome to see some of those.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »

I don't really understand what's going on with the chrome on a quality high cost product.
I've been noticing that the chrome is starting to flake in different spots like foot brake lever arm, bottom of one lower fork, gear shifting arm, and what really got me today,..I saw rust starting around the mounting screw and chrome plate light cover. I removed the screw and the cover is PLASTIC the rust was from the screw, they couldn't even put a stainless one in.
My bike is 10 year's old this May and I got it in 2011 with 6k on it and I've put another 10k on since I retired a total of 16k to date. It's been cleaned on a regular basis and 95% of good weather riding. Why is the chrome starting to flake? I dread what it will look like in two years time.
Are there chrome issues with HD products.

Yes there have been many chrome issues over the years, the most common involving chrome plating on aluminum parts.  It's not just on older bikes, some have reported problems in the first year or two.   

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 03:45:12 PM »

The chrome flaked off the front wheel of my '04 SEEG when I wiped it down the night I brought it home brand new.  Before I traded it for the '12 SEUC, I'd replaced the transmission top cover, all four floorboards (twice) and the rear brake pedal, in addition to that wheel.  Some was under warranty and some was on my dime.  Bike was always in climate controlled storage over winter and there isn't much salt air in Illinois that I'm aware of.  Not the greatest quality on the H-D chrome, at least back in those days.  So far, so good on the SEUC (knock on wood).

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »

All I can say is that it's appalling. The cost of these machines, hell ive had cars and trucks andwere they sit out in all sortes of weather only cleaned once or twice a year and no chrome issues.
Well thanks guys least I got rant  >:( :( Going to start looking for replacement's.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:49:24 PM by longlast »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 06:47:20 PM »

Keep an eye on your mirrors meaning the inside of those holes like the brake arm. I have the same year.

el Cadar

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 07:20:43 PM »

I agree, I have noticed some surface rust on some of my fasteners and don't like thinking I am going to have to do the dirty work myself.  Stainless steel goes a long way...

Toofast_28

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 08:07:41 PM »

My 07 CVO Dyna the chrome was putting on the wheels after about 2 years, never progressed though, so I left it.  Wasn't horrible, only noticed while cleaning, but it wasn't right.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 09:41:04 PM »

My '07 UC lost the chrome on its mirrors, passing lamp states, front rotors years ago. The rims have been pitting for years as well.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 05:14:27 AM »

04-05s were really bad with lots of chrome. I was replacing all the time.  I had an old pitted rear brake lever in the drawer plated locally.  Never had any more pitting on that. . Harleys chrome leaves alot to be desired. . Not really a whole lot you can do. .  Stuart.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:44:18 AM by cvostu »

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 08:42:45 AM »

Yup, my mirrors are pitted as well. Today I noticed the chrome on my floorboards were starting to peel up between the rubber strips. I guess after 11 years and all those miles it was bound to happen.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

DVO62

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 RGU
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 04:52:56 AM »

Bought mine brand new last yr, got home in the rain and the next day there was rust on the exhaust "cover". I wiped it off with a little wd40 and it hasn't reappeared, mainly because I don't leave it wet. I think I'll leave it wet, take a pic and go harass someone, just for the fun of it.
Shouldn't happen at these prices...

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.