Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Q, with air shocks  (Read 1208 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Q, with air shocks
« on: February 20, 2017, 08:07:41 AM »

My air shocks are are not holding pressure I have to keep putting air in them. There's no oil leakage from either shock, so that's out, I have shipped off the ends that push into the quick release connection thinking they're leaking air, soap tested at 26psi no bubbles, so that has a check mark.
I have tested them with a pressure gauge on them at 26psi and bounced myself on the T/P the gauge reads up to 30/32 psi and holds back at 26psi.
But after the wife and I go out for a day ride (like we did yesterday) this morning I did a recheck and had "0" pressure again.
Any thoughts on this, or something else I need to check?
The pic of the pressure gauge reading has held for 2hrs . I would have thought there would be signs of oil if there's an internal leak, but I'm not sure how these shocks are designed if oil would be present with an internal air leak. :nixweiss:
BTW. The wife has been ruled out as being the fault ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:12:29 AM by longlast »

*58Vette

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond w/Crimson Tag Graphics
Re: Q, with air shocks
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 08:45:37 AM »

If it doesn't leak with the gauge on it, the it has to be a bad valve.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:00:16 AM »

As noted above, test the actual shrader valve.  I remember having to change out the valve on mine not long after I bought the bike; it's been holding air just fine ever since.  The other common leak areas are the air line connections, but it seems you've already checked those.  And if you're only losing air when the wife rides with you, how did you eliminate her as the cause? :)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:10:32 AM »

As noted above, test the actual shrader valve.  I remember having to change out the valve on mine not long after I bought the bike; it's been holding air just fine ever since.  The other common leak areas are the air line connections, but it seems you've already checked those.  And if you're only losing air when the wife rides with you, how did you eliminate her as the cause? :)

Jerry
It doesn't leak down with his girlfriend on the back, just his wife... :nervous:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 09:59:27 AM »

Put a new shrader valve in than remove the lines from the connections and put some vaseline on each one.
That is what fixed mine, the seals were dry in the connectors.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »

As noted above, test the actual shrader valve.  I remember having to change out the valve on mine not long after I bought the bike; it's been holding air just fine ever since.  The other common leak areas are the air line connections, but it seems you've already checked those.[/bAnd if you're only losing air when the wife rides with you, how did you eliminate her as the cause?] ;D

Jerry

I didn't mean it only when she's on, guess I was miss leading sorry, it was that the wife was with me yesterday so I mentioned her ::)

I just got back from a solo ride! Did a check and "0" pressure. I'm thinking that the shrader is the valve stem valve? Not familiar with shrader

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 11:39:59 AM »

Yes, over here it's called a schrader valve, but it's just the inner needle and rubber valve assembly in the fitting.  You need a simple tool to unscrew it and to screw a new one in, over here all auto parts stores carry the replacement stems and the tool.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 12:03:06 PM »

Yes, over here it's called a schrader valve, but it's just the inner needle and rubber valve assembly in the fitting.  You need a simple tool to unscrew it and to screw a new one in, over here all auto parts stores carry the replacement stems and the tool.

Jerry

Thought that's what yous ment  :2vrolijk_21: I just finished pulling all the lines and put a little grease on them and resicured them. Put the pressure in up to 26psi . I'll let it sit overnight and check it in the morning. The wife a I have a 2hr ride tomorrow . While we're out I'll pick up a" schrader"   ;D
I'll post what the outcome is after we're back and I do a pressure check again.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 04:02:48 AM »

9am checked the air shocks pressure and it had dropped to 15psi from 26psi over night. Will purge it up again and going to pick up a new Schafer I'll install that and, hopefully that will be the end of it.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 11:52:04 AM »

9am checked the air shocks pressure and it had dropped to 15psi from 26psi over night. Will purge it up again and going to pick up a new Schrader I'll install that and, hopefully that will be the end of it.

Got back with the wife from a 2 1/2hr run. Before I left I removed the schrader and gave it a blow out and clean off then put it back in I then put it up to 26psi and off we went.
When I got back and checked the pressure it had held at 26psi.
I still have to pick up a new Schrader and change the old one.    Thanks for the info and help :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:54:00 AM by longlast »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 11:29:14 AM »

(UPDATE)

AIR shocks pressure holding, installed a new Schrader valve and shipped back the air lines to all the connections with a touch of grease on the lines going into the connections.
All is smooth riding once again. :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.