Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Turn signals condensation  (Read 3143 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Turn signals condensation
« on: February 24, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »

Any one have a trick to stop condensation from happening on the turn signals. It's only happening on the front turn signals the back are fine. I have removed the lenses and silicone around the edges, but as in the pic,... That didn't work,....Any suggestions.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Turn signals condensation
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »

If I remember correctly there should be a cutout in the lense to allow moisture to escape (I usually try to have that cutout facing down to allow moisture to drip out). The moisture is probably coming thru the back where the wires come into the lights. By sealing the lenses you have defeated the purpose of that cutout allowing moisture to escape. You might try sealing the back of the lights where the wires go in to power the lights. I would also remove the silicone around the lenses so if any (what little) moisture gets in can escape.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »

If I remember correctly there should be a cutout in the lense to allow moisture to escape (I usually try to have that cutout facing down to allow moisture to drip out). The moisture is probably coming thru the back where the wires come into the lights. By sealing the lenses you have defeated the purpose of that cutout allowing moisture to escape. You might try sealing the back of the lights where the wires go in to power the lights. I would also remove the silicone around the lenses so if any (what little) moisture gets in can escape.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
What he said

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:01:05 AM »

The d00d is correct, Pete.  It is not a great seal between the cover and light assembly.  Water will enter hence the cut out mentioned in his explanation.  Remove your silicone from the lens and check the rubber gasket where the power wires enter the light assembly.  I get this from time to time when washing on both the front and rear turn lights.

Also, make sure your lights have some electrical grease between the bulb and contacts.  This helps cut down on the corrosion that will occur due to the moisture issues.

Ain't it fun owning a Harley.... ;D

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 11:28:05 AM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That's right there is a cutout on the lenses I made sure that I didn't seal that up. I don't get it it why there's so much condensation build up :nixweiss:

The d00d is correct, Pete.  It is not a great seal between the cover and light assembly.  Water will enter hence the cut out mentioned in his explanation.  Remove your silicone from the lens and check the rubber gasket where the power wires enter the light assembly.  I get this from time to time when washing on both the front and rear turn lights.

Also, make sure your lights have some electrical grease between the bulb and contacts.  This helps cut down on the corrosion that will occur due to the moisture issues.

Ain't it fun owning a Harley.... ;D

It's a strange thing Howard they've been watering up all the time. They were clear when I went for a ride today,.. sunny dry day but a little cool when I got back that's what they looked like in the pics.
I'll pull them off again and get rid of the silicone and put a little/little hole in the cutout, maybe that will work.
The wiring runs internally inclosed in mounting arm for the side running lights that have no issue. Greased the bulbs way back when.
The only thing I can think of is for me to dois get a can of ACF 50 (think that's what it's called) to displace the moisture
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:47:02 AM by longlast »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 03:03:55 PM »

The wiring runs internally inclosed in mounting arm for the side running lights that have no issue. Greased the bulbs way back when.
The only thing I can think of is for me to dois get a can of ACF 50 (think that's what it's called) to displace the moisture
Can you get a picture of how the wires run into those lights? If they are like the ones on my bike it was a common problem for water (moisture) to enter in the rear and the remedy back then was to get some clear RV/Boat silicone and put around the wires to prevent water (moisture) from entering. The big issue we had w/ours was it would corrode/rust out the light assembly internally and require them to be replaced.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 03:24:08 PM »

My old bike used to do this and I just drilled a hole in the bottom, but where you live is waaaay more humid than where I do so I don't know if that would work.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 04:06:20 PM »

All good suggestions - seal wire entry point, position lens hole at bottom - all much better than mine.  I think your blinker fluid needs to be replaced.  ;)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 05:05:16 PM »

Can you get a picture of how the wires run into those lights? If they are like the ones on my bike it was a common problem for water (moisture) to enter in the rear and the remedy back then was to get some clear RV/Boat silicone and put around the wires to prevent water (moisture) from entering. The big issue we had w/ours was it would corrode/rust out the light assembly internally and require them to be replaced.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

There's no visible wires all are consealed. If you in large this pic it shows the mounting. It's strange that it's on both fronts :nixweiss:.  Older pic doing a wash. Like I said it's not from rain or washing it's a biuld up of condensation, the lenses were clear when I went out this morning and back 2hrs later there full of water drops. Dry sunny day but cool.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:15:18 PM by longlast »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 05:22:33 PM »

I know heat from the bulbs is causing the condensation on the lenses,...But I don't know way? Or how the stop it.

I ordered up some ACF50 today I'll give that a shot if I don't sort it by next mid week.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:29:59 PM by longlast »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 05:48:52 PM »

There's no visible wires all are consealed. If you in large this pic it shows the mounting. It's strange that it's on both fronts :nixweiss:.  Older pic doing a wash. Like I said it's not from rain or washing it's a biuld up of condensation, the lenses were clear when I went out this morning and back 2hrs later there full of water drops. Dry sunny day but cool.

The wires are only partially hidden.  I modified your photo and added an arrow showing where the wires enter the bracket.  That is where you need to add a sealant to keep the water from following the wire harness into the bracket, the standoff for the light, and the actual light.  As d00d mentioned, water runs down this wire and enters the back side of the light reflector.  Over time it corrodes the connections, the reflector, the housing, and the bulb, causing the lights to fail.  You may want to disassemble yours and fix any corrosion proactively, rather than wait for them to fail.  Btw, you have the same lights and brackets that are on d00d's bike and mine.  Harley has used those same parts for many years.

Seal the bracket where the wires enter, enlarge the drain hole/slot in the lens and mount it facing down.  I've been using clear silicone sealer on just the top half of the lens to housing, leaving the bottom half and the drain hole unsealed.  It's been working fine for many years, but it still won't eliminate all fogging of the lens.  The heat of the bulb will drive off moisture while riding, but once the bike is shut down and the light cools some outside air will be drawn in.  If that air is humid, and the temperature drops, condensation will occur.  The same thing happens on automotive lights.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 06:04:07 PM »

Look at what I have circled... this appears to be what I have on mine... the black wire is the power supply for those lights that go in the back of that assembly. That's where the water/moisture gets in and what many of us have sealed w/silicone. The reason you don't get/see moisture in the spots is because it runs down into the turn signals (both sides).

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »

:oops:... Should have read all the posts in the thread before I replied... What Jerry said. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 10:53:08 PM »

Top notch fellas. I'll dig into it today, and here I was worrying about retirement as to what I'm going to do with myself when I'm not riding ;D .  I'll post the outcome :2vrolijk_21:

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 08:56:48 PM »

Current bike has no condensation, but the last three would get so much condensate they looked like car windows in high school. I started removing the lens and blowing them dry everytime I washed it. Just takes a quarter and I already had the Metro out to blow bike partially dry.
No problems after that.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Turn signals condensation (update)
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 11:20:29 AM »

An update to lit you know how things went. Once it was pointed out that water can get into the lights mounting bracket by way of the wiring supply, I removed the mounting screws then turned them upsidedown,.....chit,.. it was a stream of water pored out of the wiring cavity of the bracket.
All sealed up now, shouldn't have any more condensation.      Pic of water in the lense when I removed it.
Thanks guys for the input.

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.