Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HOG Membership  (Read 1908 times)

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
HOG Membership
« on: February 28, 2017, 04:29:51 PM »

I am from the UK so maybe different for you Gents.

Just got my renewed HOG membership package. Absolutely stunned at how fantastic the package is compared to when I first joined about 18yrs ago. You have to admire the stance Hog is making for the ecological well being of the world. All that material they used to send out, the really comprehensive but way to thick and costly touring map/manual. The wasteful black cloth wallet for containing Maps and touring documentation. The current enclosure of a folding paper map and membership patch along with some advertising literature makes far more sense, makes you proud to be able to contribute your fee to the save the planet fund that surely Hog pass on part of our contribution to on our behalf. Well done chaps!

Next years renewal is in the post already.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: HOG Membership
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 06:51:20 PM »

We all have different opinions, I no longer get chips and iced tea during Bikeweek. Now all I get is a map book we throw in the car and use occasionally to find where to program the GPS to and a couple event pins a year.

" You have to admire the stance Hog is making for the ecological well being of the world", I have no idea what this even means and No I don't have to admire it. But then I am old and crabby and only want cars and bikes that use premium.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 09:10:59 PM »

I am from the UK so maybe different for you Gents.

Just got my renewed HOG membership package. Absolutely stunned at how fantastic the package is compared to when I first joined about 18yrs ago. You have to admire the stance Hog is making for the ecological well being of the world. All that material they used to send out, the really comprehensive but way to thick and costly touring map/manual. The wasteful black cloth wallet for containing Maps and touring documentation. The current enclosure of a folding paper map and membership patch along with some advertising literature makes far more sense, makes you proud to be able to contribute your fee to the save the planet fund that surely Hog pass on part of our contribution to on our behalf. Well done chaps!

Next years renewal is in the post already.

I just received my membership package a few weeks ago and I did receive the touring map/atlas book along with the pin and patch (both of those went into the same box as all the others from past years). The advertising literature comes separately in (HOG) magazine form with lots of factual articles pointing out the advantages of genuine HD parts and service and many purdy glossy pictures of the latest model motorcycles to look at (joking aside, I do enjoy perusing it)

So it would seem that here stateside there's less concern for the overall ecological well being of the planet so we'll just keep killing trees and printing the comprehensive touring guides and glossy magazines  ;)    But you are correct the benefits of, and/or incentives to, maintaining membership have been diminishing for quite some time  :-\  If they ever stop sending me the big touring guide/road atlas it will be reason enough for me to stop renewing - I feel more comfortable having a paper map in the tourpack,  even though the paper map/atlas has become an endangered species with all the Smart Phones and GPS devices available.

"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

BALIS

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 05:16:17 AM »

No more Atlas book here in Europe.. >:(

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:25:57 AM »

I only continue my HOG membership here in the UK to enable the 10% discount on parts at the dealership and to obtain discount on my multi bike insurance policy.

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 10:39:19 AM »

G'Day Y'all,

My understanding is that I get an insurance discount for being in HOG which is why I renew when my complimentary membership expires after buying a bike. There is not much else benefit-wise anymore that I am aware of and I definitely stopped getting a 'HOG member discount' about 15 or 20 years back.

Interesting that they are cutting out the atlas map in Europe. Its the only thing I use out of the membership packet as it is very handy when travelling. I find it is much better on stops to be able to see a map rather than just a small screen when discussing what's left today, where we plan on going next or where I missed a left turn at Albuquerque and so on.

I have used better motorcycling atlases/maps but always seem to end up back with the HOG one (I pay for it anyway and it gets updated annually). I have one Australian one left for when I go riding back Down Under and the rest I give away when I get the new one. Everyone I give them to seems appreciative and tell me they use them but I am not sure if they are just being polite.

My delightful collection of HOG pins & patches going back into the 90s sits quietly in the box I toss them in when they arrive. I have half a mind to tell folks they are priceless (as opposed to worthless), as I imagine that they will be discovered by my heirs after I expire in amongst other crap I have in my shed.

Having attended one HOG ride in the US as well as one ride plus a state rally in Australia I've decided they are not for me. While the people seemed nice enough, I found the rides were stifling and was confused (and maybe a little jealous) of all the important sounding titles/ranks/honours people had and wasn't sure of their purpose but didn't ask because I did not want to look like a sidewalk commando. The rally confirmed my suspicions that I am not such a big fan of playing bingo, let alone doing it while dressed like a pirate. I guess the wild side is not my cup of tea.

I do skim the HOG magazine they send out but rarely find anything super-interesting or new. My preference would be to go electronic with the propaganda magazines and stick with the atlas map as it is one of the few useful things provided.

Cheers Tom

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 10:40:29 AM »

I know that I continue my HOG membership because I bought a life membership 15 years ago after doing the math and figuring out the savings (did the same with the NRA and get more value out of that).  I really don't see much value in it today.  I enjoyed getting the Enthusiast and the HOG mag.  The HOG mag like others have pointed out is nothing buy marketing slick now.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 12:42:44 PM »

G'Day Y'all,

My understanding is that I get an insurance discount for being in HOG which is why I renew when my complimentary membership expires after buying a bike. There is not much else benefit-wise anymore that I am aware of and I definitely stopped getting a 'HOG member discount' about 15 or 20 years back.

Interesting that they are cutting out the atlas map in Europe. Its the only thing I use out of the membership packet as it is very handy when travelling. I find it is much better on stops to be able to see a map rather than just a small screen when discussing what's left today, where we plan on going next or where I missed a left turn at Albuquerque and so on.

I have used better motorcycling atlases/maps but always seem to end up back with the HOG one (I pay for it anyway and it gets updated annually). I have one Australian one left for when I go riding back Down Under and the rest I give away when I get the new one. Everyone I give them to seems appreciative and tell me they use them but I am not sure if they are just being polite.

My delightful collection of HOG pins & patches going back into the 90s sits quietly in the box I toss them in when they arrive. I have half a mind to tell folks they are priceless (as opposed to worthless), as I imagine that they will be discovered by my heirs after I expire in amongst other crap I have in my shed.

Having attended one HOG ride in the US as well as one ride plus a state rally in Australia I've decided they are not for me. While the people seemed nice enough, I found the rides were stifling and was confused (and maybe a little jealous) of all the important sounding titles/ranks/honours people had and wasn't sure of their purpose but didn't ask because I did not want to look like a sidewalk commando. The rally confirmed my suspicions that I am not such a big fan of playing bingo, let alone doing it while dressed like a pirate. I guess the wild side is not my cup of tea.

I do skim the HOG magazine they send out but rarely find anything super-interesting or new. My preference would be to go electronic with the propaganda magazines and stick with the atlas map as it is one of the few useful things provided.

Cheers Tom   

I had a few remarks on this but Tom already said it all for me....thanks Tom and +1 on all of your comments including that map which is always with me on all my cross-country rides.... :2vrolijk_21:

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »

We are far behind Europe as far as environmental responsibilities goes here stateside.  Heck very few companies even know what ISO 14000 is. And we all get our environmental "education" from news media........

I keep my membership for the road side assistance and map, I know I can get road side assist many other places, but heck its cheap.

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.