Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone Build A Bike From Scratch Without Original Title?  (Read 1426 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Anyone Build A Bike From Scratch Without Original Title?
« on: March 11, 2017, 05:54:51 PM »

Has anyone built a bike from the ground up with MSO's for the frame, motor and trans?

Most have known over the past 5 or 6 years that I have a Boardtrack racer project bike under build.  I have all the paperwork, but I'm beginning to read that I may have issues getting it titled without what's called a Once In A Lifetime Exemption.

From what I've read if this is how it works, I'll have to keep it for 5 years before I can sell it.

Anyone have any insight on the subject?  I realize that it depends on the state, but The Once In A Lifetime Exemption is federal.

Help...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Anyone Build A Bike From Scratch Without Original Title?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 06:11:44 PM »

Don,

Have you checked out www.harleytechtalk.com yet? It's a site made up mostly of both line mechanic, factory mechanics, independent mechanics, dealership mechanics and guys like me. There are lots of threads there of folks who build their own project bikes from the bottom up from scratch. Hopefully they can help you too.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 08:51:37 PM »

Call the courthouse and ask the License bureau, may take a couple clerks to find one who knows, this is not something they do very often or at least that is what we were told.  Most normal states (Read Ex Calif & Mass) require inspection by law enforcement, weight, a couple different inspections and ALL receipts and you are good to go.
I have a buddy who did one in 2009 here in Florida and that was all it took. Only thing was you had to haul it to the county approved scales  which were at the dump (not sure what that is for) and then to courthouse for inspection by a sheriff, who had no idea other that to match VIN on engine receipt to the one in the frame. Then had to go back and have the state issued VIN Decal installed in his presence. Took most time to get him to schedule his time.
Otherwise no problem. Nothing about  how long before you sell / own etc.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:15:53 PM »

Dan,  I know this is some conflicting information, but I was with my friend throughout this process (using my truck to haul his Custom M/C to the DMV and back)…

It's really going to depend on your States' Motor Vehicle Laws,,, I know FL is very strict and through in their requirements,,, 'Have to have a valid receipt for just about everything,,,not just motor frame and transmission,,, I mean everything,, forks, rims, lights, brakes, sprockets, chain,, etc... 'Friend did a Custom M/C in FL a few years back and it took him 3-4 trips to the Fl DMV before he could pass muster and get registered... He had a folder of organized receipts >4" thick...

Best to go to your DMV and get clear on their requirements / processes asap...

'Never heard of the federal "one time" deal...

Ed
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 09:29:33 PM »

Dan,  I know this is some conflicting information, but I was with my friend throughout this process (using my truck to haul his Custom M/C to the DMV and back)…

It's really going to depend on your States' Motor Vehicle Laws,,, I know FL is very strict and through in their requirements,,, 'Have to have a valid receipt for just about everything,,,not just motor frame and transmission,,, I mean everything,, forks, rims, lights, brakes, sprockets, chain,, etc... 'Friend did a Custom M/C in FL a few years back and it took him 3-4 trips to the Fl DMV before he could pass muster and get registered... He had a folder of organized receipts >4" thick...

Best to go to your DMV and get clear on their requirements / processes asap...

'Never heard of the federal "one time" deal...

Ed

I agree with Ed......Did this in 1998 in NY and spoke to guy at the DMV home office--lucky he was a bike guy, but I still had to send him pics of the D.O.T numbers on some of the lenses, and some other part numbers. Bought a new aftermarket frame, but used a motor and trans from another bike that I owned so I got away with that paperwork..also told them I used a bunch of parts from the old bike so I wouldn't have to send pics of everything. It is a royal PITA. Told my wife if I ever want to do that again to remind me of that and I will go buy a used bike or frame with title and start from there.

Maybe your state's DMV will be better.....

Mike

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 10:13:47 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll call and setup a meeting with Troop C here with the Highway Patrol and see what they will be needing.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 10:23:36 PM »

This is something without a national standard.  Individual states issue titles and have their own standards for this so what happens elsewhere can't be counted on to be any guide for us here in Missouri Dan.

I've not even tried to do this for years so can only share what is at least a dozen year old information.  Prior to 12-15 years ago this wasn't a big deal here.  All the receipts, the MSO, potentially photocopies of the title for the engine and transmission (this varied dependent on various factors) and about any other documentation you could think of had best be ready. 

When it was more common to buy frames and build bikes in your own garage the great rash of bike thefts hadn't deterred states yet.  As theft of parts/bikes got more common "custom builds" became a too common way to launder parts and Missouri (and many other states) made it harder and harder to title a custom build.  The last time I went through this the rules had changed such that the state made it difficult, it was obvious they intended it to be difficult and the DMV had issued an administrative rule that no one could get a custom built title for a motorcycle more often than once every (and I know I don't remember for sure here) some number of years. 

Though it is info specific to Missouri it is very dated information.  When last I needed to do this it was also difficult to get informed information that was current and accurate from the local Highway Patrol inspection stations you'd have to work with.  Things were changing often enough and the officers were doing this rarely enough they just couldn't keep up.  To get good info that was accurate and current I had to get if from the state DMV in Jeff City.  Then took their paperwork to the Highway Patrol inspection office to help them out as much as I could with the most current regs and paperwork from Jeff City.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 10:19:58 AM »

Don,

I've talked with the Troop C division years ago when I "thought" I was going to be finishing the bike project.  At that point he said that I needed my MSO's and other receipts etc.  It also needed to have the standard items, headlight hi/low, horn, brake light/tail light and mufflers.  He said it didn't have to meet any db standards, just it needed mufflers.

Of course that was at least prior to '10.

I think I'll call them again this week to see if they have a list of current requirements.  The DMV website is useless on this matter.

Thanks again for all the input guys.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »

Better contact the DMV or whatever it is called in your state first. If Troop C is the state police? Then I cannot imagine them having any input in this matter, I know they didn't on my buddies bike in Florida and they don't for sure in KY. Me, I would not take anyone's opinion other than whoever is going to issue the actual official paperwork.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 07:37:56 PM »

Better contact the DMV or whatever it is called in your state first. If Troop C is the state police? Then I cannot imagine them having any input in this matter, I know they didn't on my buddies bike in Florida and they don't for sure in KY. Me, I would not take anyone's opinion other than whoever is going to issue the actual official paperwork.

In Missouri the Highway Patrol does all the inspections and all the paperwork starts with them before it goes on to the state DMV.  Here you have ot make the Highway Patrol happy before you make the DMV happy, all the while hoping that doing the former actually satisfies the latter.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 09:21:46 AM »

Go the 'custom built vehicle' route and follow that process. You'll still need the inspection but once that's complete you'll file for and receive a title and there's none of that once in a lifetime junk associated with it.

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 22 queries.