Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: BMW,,, the 4 wheeled version. Starting to look at them  (Read 3133 times)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
BMW,,, the 4 wheeled version. Starting to look at them
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:11:31 PM »

My trusty but very rusty avalanche will be getting replaced towards the end of the year. Thinking back to a car as we still have the other truck for truck needs. I've owned nothing but a Suburban, 3 avalanches and a Silverado for the last 12 years. That 5 series BMW with XDrive and the turbo 6 is really catching my eye. I'm looking used. 2011-2013 range. Trying to keep it under 30k which shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Who's got one or had one that cares to share any advice firsthand. Any good BMW forums you recommend so I can start researching more? I plan on absorbing as much info as I can before we start looking hard at them. Debi and I will of course drive one first to make sure we both like it before I get real crazy with the research.

TIA
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
Re: BMW,,, the 4 wheeled version. Starting to look at them
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:25:23 PM »

The 5 Series with the 6 cylinder turbo is pretty reliable, stay away from the v8, major problems with those engines, I would also look into a Certified Pre-Owned, you'll want the added warranty protection. I can direct you to a couple of dealers and a couple to stay away from, I would do that thru pm, if you have any specific questions, let me know, I was a BMW service manager for the 12 years, just retired ;D   
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 12:08:43 AM »

I'd second the recommendation on Certified used.  Often good rates if you finance.

Since you mentioned all wheel drive and test driving, do a comparison with an Audi A6 as well.  Today they received the Consumer Reports top brand for the second year in a row.

While I must also disclose I've been an Audi dealer for 32 years, I think you'll find handling, fit and finish, great interiors among some of the benefits to the A6 vs 5 Series.

Just a thought.

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 07:38:15 AM »

Let me also third the original recommendation of certified pre-owned.  We purchased a used 2013 335I fairly loaded including the M sport package (sport suspension, 19" staggered wheels, etc.).  A note on wheels/tires...if you purchase a 3 or 5 series with the two different size front and rear wheels, you can't rotate front to back.  You can side to side.  I wasn't aware of that when we bought and those 19" replacement tires were $300 each....just something to consider.
Anyway, the '13 still had quite a bit of factory warranty left so we didn't opt for the CPO on it.  It also was not an X-drive vehicle. 

We replaced it this past December with a 2016 CPO 340I with X-drive.  It has basically everything except the heads up display (which I really miss) and those dang expensive 19" tires (18" all around, same size and can rotate...and about half the cost).  Even though it was used (2,300 miles on the clock...hardly used), with the X-drive we thought it would be better to have that extra added warranty just in case.  BMW had some issues with the X-drive in the beginning but seems to have worked out the bugs.  I LOVE IT!  You never know it's there but is when you need it.  We don't get snow but the wet/rain assistance is greatly appreciated.

In 2014, we found a CPO Audi S4 when we found our '13 335.  The S4 is a beast but a bit out of our price range compared to the '13 335 we had found.  Sure did love driving that Audi.  Fast forward to November last year.  We again looked at a CPO S4 but we had been driving our '13 335 for over two years.  It was an eye-opening experience.  We came away realizing we made the correct choice with the BMW the first time.  It also seemed that our '13 had carried it's worth over our ownership verses the S4 we were considering which was newer but with about the same mileage.  The BMW was still worth more than that S4 and it drove/rode/handled better (to us) than the S4. 

Some things to consider:  BMW changed their maintenance plans extension with the 2016 model year as well as a complete change on the 2017 maintenance.  The 2016 vehicles came new with full maintenance for 4 years/50K miles.  However, they stopped transferring that to new owners when it was traded.  You can purchase ($750 or more depending on model) to re-instate the maintenance but it's not automatic on used/pre owned/CPO 2016's.  For 2017, ALL BMW's come with a 3 year, 36K miles basic maintenance plan (oil changes are the only thing included).  I know you are looking at 2011-2013 range but something to consider if a '16 or '17 catches your eye.

Find one with M sport or sport suspension if you can.  It changes the ride/handling/comfort to the good.

Consider the 3 series (335I is the inline 6 2015 and prior and 300hp...340I is the inline 6 2016 to present with 320hp) while looking at the 5 series.  We looked at the 5 a few times but for the size, we couldn't tell that much more room.  It was larger but in our thoughts not that much larger for the extra cost between the 3 and 5 series.  We drove a turbo 4 X-drive...nice but that inline 6 is the bees-knees.

Good luck in your search.  We do have a good dealer in Knoxville (Grayson BMW/MINI) if you are interested and not that far down I-75 to come down for a look-see.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 07:45:20 AM by Haird »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 08:10:52 AM »

The 5 Series with the 6 cylinder turbo is pretty reliable, stay away from the v8, major problems with those engines, I would also look into a Certified Pre-Owned, you'll want the added warranty protection. I can direct you to a couple of dealers and a couple to stay away from, I would do that thru pm, if you have any specific questions, let me know, I was a BMW service manager for the 12 years, just retired ;D   
Sounds like I may have to buy lunch some day to pick your brain some more.

Let me also third the original recommendation of certified pre-owned.  We purchased a used 2013 335I fairly loaded including the M sport package (sport suspension, 19" staggered wheels, etc.).  A note on wheels/tires...if you purchase a 3 or 5 series with the two different size front and rear wheels, you can't rotate front to back.  You can side to side.  I wasn't aware of that when we bought and those 19" replacement tires were $300 each....just something to consider.
Anyway, the '13 still had quite a bit of factory warranty left so we didn't opt for the CPO on it.  It also was not an X-drive vehicle. Noted on the tire size

We replaced it this past December with a 2016 CPO 340I with X-drive.  It has basically everything except the heads up display (which I really miss) and those dang expensive 19" tires (18" all around, same size and can rotate...and about half the cost).  Even though it was used (2,300 miles on the clock...hardly used), with the X-drive we thought it would be better to have that extra added warranty just in case.  BMW had some issues with the X-drive in the beginning but seems to have worked out the bugs.  I LOVE IT!  You never know it's there but is when you need it.  We don't get snow but the wet/rain assistance is greatly appreciated.yup, we get snow up here. At least we used to

In 2014, we found a CPO Audi S4 when we found our '13 335.  The S4 is a beast but a bit out of our price range compared to the '13 335 we had found.  Sure did love driving that Audi.  Fast forward to November last year.  We again looked at a CPO S4 but we had been driving our '13 335 for over two years.  It was an eye-opening experience.  We came away realizing we made the correct choice with the BMW the first time.  It also seemed that our '13 had carried it's worth over our ownership verses the S4 we were considering which was newer but with about the same mileage.  The BMW was still worth more than that S4 and it drove/rode/handled better (to us) than the S4. 

Some things to consider:  BMW changed their maintenance plans extension with the 2016 model year as well as a complete change on the 2017 maintenance.  The 2016 vehicles came new with full maintenance for 4 years/50K miles.  However, they stopped transferring that to new owners when it was traded.  You can purchase ($750 or more depending on model) to re-instate the maintenance but it's not automatic on used/pre owned/CPO 2016's.  For 2017, ALL BMW's come with a 3 year, 36K miles basic maintenance plan (oil changes are the only thing included).  I know you are looking at 2011-2013 range but something to consider if a '16 or '17 catches your eye. sure not looking to get into that kind of $$

Find one with M sport or sport suspension if you can.  It changes the ride/handling/comfort to the good. will be a DD for me and I have a fairly short, boring commute now.

Consider the 3 series (335I is the inline 6 2015 and prior and 300hp...340I is the inline 6 2016 to present with 320hp) while looking at the 5 series.  We looked at the 5 a few times but for the size, we couldn't tell that much more room.  It was larger but in our thoughts not that much larger for the extra cost between the 3 and 5 series.  We drove a turbo 4 X-drive...nice but that inline 6 is the bees-knees. With a screwed up as my back is, I need as much room as I can get without going to a 7 series size car. Thought about a 6 series as they were still 2 door back then making the doors larger and easier to egress in and out of.

Good luck in your search.  We do have a good dealer in Knoxville (Grayson BMW/MINI) if you are interested and not that far down I-75 to come down for a look-see.

Lots of info there. Thanks

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 08:26:42 AM »

I'd second the recommendation on Certified used.  Often good rates if you finance.

Since you mentioned all wheel drive and test driving, do a comparison with an Audi A6 as well.  Today they received the Consumer Reports top brand for the second year in a row.

While I must also disclose I've been an Audi dealer for 32 years, I think you'll find handling, fit and finish, great interiors among some of the benefits to the A6 vs 5 Series.

Just a thought.

Not directly related to the SUV of either brand but......Roger you probably know that I've followed new apartment construction for many years, setting up the maint. dept. getting Maint. Techs hired, ordering all the equip. etc, etc.  I'm currently at the newest class A project here in San Diego and it truely does have resort style ammenities.  On Tue. I and a couple of my Techs were walking through the seven story parking garage and I made a comment to them...."remember a number of years back when the class A projects would have more Mercedes than any other make...then it was BMW....and now it's Audi".   Just an observation....
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 11:28:39 AM »

Not directly related to the SUV of either brand but......Roger you probably know that I've followed new apartment construction for many years, setting up the maint. dept. getting Maint. Techs hired, ordering all the equip. etc, etc.  I'm currently at the newest class A project here in San Diego and it truely does have resort style ammenities.  On Tue. I and a couple of my Techs were walking through the seven story parking garage and I made a comment to them...."remember a number of years back when the class A projects would have more Mercedes than any other make...then it was BMW....and now it's Audi".   Just an observation....

Audi is third in volume, mostly with fewer SUV models. We have had 73 months of sales records year over year in a row.  Certainly on more shopping lists JCZ.

I always tell folks I don't sell cars, just make them available.  May be a stretch but as noted in an earlier post, it ultimately is what someone likes in a vehicle.  Were I in the market, I'd check the options.  Comparing B series S4 may be accurate, but an S4 isn't an A6.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 11:46:25 AM »

Sounds like I may have to buy lunch some day to pick your brain some more.

Lots of info there. Thanks

Anytime, which is what I have a lot of these days, also wanted to talk to you about the GTG in Eureka Springs!
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 03:31:37 PM »

Just a thought.
:jack:...
My (when I win the lottery) dream car...

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 06:42:01 PM »

I have noticed more Audi's on the road lately as well. I'm with you on your choice JC :2vrolijk_21: And I'm sure a guy could fly out and see Roger and drive one home ;)

JoeSDE

• Full CVO Member
    • DE

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 08:58:43 PM »

Have driven SUV's since '86 until I picked up a car a few years ago on a wild whim. Sorry I ever bought it because I don't how I'll ever drive anything else. I'm sure you can't go wrong with the 5 series BMW, but I've turned into an Audi guy. I'd definitely 2nd a CPO purchase. Might cost a little more, but the warrenty can be worth it. Dealership service has made my purchase even better. Never dreamed of customer service this great, especially after dealing with HD shops. I'm sure BMW is just as good. Really hot to see the new Audi A/S5 Sportback series coming this spring. My ride; Audi S4! Good luck, you'll enjoy either brand.          JoeS

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 11:23:30 PM »

The folks on the BMW mc forum I frequent say not to buy one after they go off warranty.

Supershooter

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 05:58:11 AM »

The folks on the BMW mc forum I frequent say not to buy one after they go off warranty.

Supershooter
The car or the bike? Any reason(s) why? Do they break a lot or just expensive to fix once they do break?

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 10:08:42 PM »

On cars, they claim known problems depending upon model and expensive to fix, they say that they have cool technology but they are afraid the technology is not built for the long haul. I'd look into a BMW car forum for the model or models your looking to purchase to get some first hand info. They also commented on depreciation as car go off warranty and how they drop in price. I haven't researched any of their claims to see if I can substantiate anything.

Supershooter
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:11:42 PM by Supershooter »

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 12:28:18 AM »

OBB,
  Check out www.e46fanatics.com. It has a lot of info on the web site, along with the usual needy folks, but you might find info on the newer models. They cater to the BMW 3-series (E46 line), 1999-2006, but have added separate classes of the newer models.

I can tell you from experience that BMWs will hold up well if you're into doing the routine maintenance. I have a 2001 325Ci convertible with 110,000 miles. Still in good shape. Yes, you might have issues with any vehicle, but in the case of BMW, failures tend to be common to certain assemblies (i.e., coolant expansion tank, cooling fan,........that's about it). BMWs tend to fail gracefully--when something is failing, and you recognize and correct it, no problem. And be sure to check fluids and filters. Fluids, per BMW, are supposed to last a lifetime (no changing rear drive lube or manual trans oil), but I don't believe that. Also, use the proper oil recommended for the vehicle by the Mother Ship. It makes a real difference.  Filters (esp. fuel filter) tend to be overlooked by most owners.

Overall, you could drive one to about 150,000 miles and do nothing, then unload it. Their build quality keeps them going that long. Never had an issue with mine.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 06:17:35 AM »

OBB,
  Check out www.e46fanatics.com. It has a lot of info on the web site, along with the usual needy folks, but you might find info on the newer models. They cater to the BMW 3-series (E46 line), 1999-2006, but have added separate classes of the newer models.

I can tell you from experience that BMWs will hold up well if you're into doing the routine maintenance. I have a 2001 325Ci convertible with 110,000 miles. Still in good shape. Yes, you might have issues with any vehicle, but in the case of BMW, failures tend to be common to certain assemblies (i.e., coolant expansion tank, cooling fan,........that's about it). BMWs tend to fail gracefully--when something is failing, and you recognize and correct it, no problem. And be sure to check fluids and filters. Fluids, per BMW, are supposed to last a lifetime (no changing rear drive lube or manual trans oil), but I don't believe that. Also, use the proper oil recommended for the vehicle by the Mother Ship. It makes a real difference.  Filters (esp. fuel filter) tend to be overlooked by most owners.

Overall, you could drive one to about 150,000 miles and do nothing, then unload it. Their build quality keeps them going that long. Never had an issue with mine.
Great info here. Thank you sir. I really don't see myself keeping a car past 100,000 miles anymore so hopefully whatever I buy will be somewhat trouble free.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:29:13 AM by OBB »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 05:49:31 PM »

expensive to fix once they do break?

Call around on the BMW, ask about a tune up, or an alternator or anything you consider serviceable.
I think it's called "rape, rob and pillage."

But then again, we keep vehicles a long time.

SBB

[/color][/b]

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 07:15:51 PM »

Call around on the BMW, ask about a tune up, or an alternator or anything you consider serviceable.
I think it's called "rape, rob and pillage."

But then again, we keep vehicles a long time.

SBB

[/color][/b]

Two very good friends are mechanics that will tackle anything with access to parts at cost instead of list. I was wondering more if they have a habit of breaking down after a certain amount of miles.
All 3 of my avalanches have/had over 165,000 miles on them when I either sold or traded them. I do have a tendency to keep cars a while.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 10:24:12 PM »

Alright, found one, did the research on it with special thanks to servdvd6. It's a 2012 535i with 61k on the clock. Somewhat rare color combo with a green outside and cinnamon brown interior.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 10:24:58 PM »

And a pix of the interior. So far so good, we're really liking it.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 09:16:56 AM »

Looks nice Mike.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 11:41:42 AM »

Looks great!  :2vrolijk_21: 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 08:07:13 PM »

Thanks guys. Took it for a bit of two lane driving today and can really say it's very well mannered and a pleasure to drive

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 08:13:38 PM »

Alright, found one, did the research on it with special thanks to servdvd6. It's a 2012 535i with 61k on the clock. Somewhat rare color combo with a green outside and cinnamon brown interior.
Looks great!!  :2vrolijk_21:
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 21 queries.