Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chevy Duramax under fire for emmissions tampering.  (Read 1363 times)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Re: Chevy Duramax under fire for emmissions tampering.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »

All this cheating going on and my Ram is sitting in the shop again ovet DEF issues. Wish I could find the switch that turns it on and off....lol.

You know with all the cheating going on in the programing shouldn't a person that has been denied warranty claims because of a tuner be able to go back against the manufacturer????
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 02:03:32 PM by Yellow09SERG »
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »

The EPA has ruined diesel engines.  The EPA has made automobile gas engines, lawnmowers, weed eaters, outboard motors better than ever but you can't make a diesel run clean and recycle the exhaust gases back into the intake and then add DEF fluid and diesel particulate filters.  Now a Kubota subcompact tractor or zero turn mower that is over 25 horsepower now requires a diesel particulate filter.  Crazy and adds expense to the unit and isn't worth a chit.     :soapbox:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »

Friggin' POS lawyers!!!

I was included in 2 class action suits,,, 1 as original purchaser of '04 PowerStroke Diesel, reliability issues,,, 1 with AT&T for "throttling" unlimited data...

Huge $$$$$$$ Payouts,,, the POS lawyers got everything!! I didn't receive a Penny from either one!!
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 03:31:43 PM »

What I read the OEMs did, was to program the ECM to recognize the test procedure. The test is conducted on rear wheel rollers at a specific RPM for 22 minutes. When all the parametes are met the ECM automatically switches to clean mode. Volkswagen was just the first to get caught. The landslide is coming.

I own a 2015 Dodge 1500 diesel with the Fiat motor. I wondered what was going on when the 2017s never got released? Now I know.lol...

steve@fullsac.com

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »

What I read the OEMs did, was to program the ECM to recognize the test procedure. The test is conducted on rear wheel rollers at a specific RPM for 22 minutes. When all the parametes are met the ECM automatically switches to clean mode. Volkswagen was just the first to get caught. The landslide is coming.

I own a 2015 Dodge 1500 diesel with the Fiat motor. I wondered what was going on when the 2017s never got released? Now I know.lol...

steve@fullsac.com

When doing a little homework on the Volkswagen issues when they first went public something similar is what was discussed then.  My first thought was "how could they be so stupid" as a trick like that is bound to get caught eventually.  My second thought was "thank gawd the rest of the industry isn't that dumb."  Well....   :oops:

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »

When doing a little homework on the Volkswagen issues when they first went public something similar is what was discussed then.  My first thought was "how could they be so stupid" as a trick like that is bound to get caught eventually.  My second thought was "thank gawd the rest of the industry isn't that dumb."  Well....   :oops:

The full size truck market as all about power. When one of the OEMs get an advantage there is serious
pressure in house to close that gap, however you have to do it. Its all about sales.

Steve@fullsac.com

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 04:03:03 PM »

steve@fullsac.com

The odds are very high that Bosch, who was complicit in the Volkswagen cheating, also brought that same "expertise" to their customers in the USA.  No need for each company to invent their own cheat, just buy it from the vendor.

A lack of technology to make diesels meet the standards isn't the problem, the problem is making them meet the standards and still have the desired performance and fuel mileage.  Even that can be done, but it costs more money.  When all is said and done, it just comes down to money and these companies not wanting to spend the money it takes to do it right.  The fact that they all thought no one would ever catch them gives an insight into the kinds of people running our corporations these days.  Greed is good, and only suckers play by the rules.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »

The odds are very high that Bosch, who was complicit in the Volkswagen cheating, also brought that same "expertise" to their customers in the USA.  No need for each company to invent their own cheat, just buy it from the vendor.

A lack of technology to make diesels meet the standards isn't the problem, the problem is making them meet the standards and still have the desired performance and fuel mileage.  Even that can be done, but it costs more money.  When all is said and done, it just comes down to money and these companies not wanting to spend the money it takes to do it right.  The fact that they all thought no one would ever catch them gives an insight into the kinds of people running our corporations these days.  Greed is good, and only suckers play by the rules.

Jerry

100%!

Steve@fullsac.com

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »

Jerry

Could not help but wonder about Bosch also Jerry.  It all begs the question of whether Bosch and Volkswagen were in bed on software and its gain or whether Volkswagen likely had to wonder and simply chose not to ask too many questions.  We can't know what agreement might have been struck between the two to offset the penalties Volkswagen has faced.  If there is such a bargain it could be in future price offsets or through a variety of other means.

Then you have to wonder if the same wink-and-a-nod existed between the OE supplier and the other manufacturers or if Bosch dared pitch their wares and their gains to compete in their market without offering disclosure on how they did the deed.  Jesus it's all an engineer's soap opera. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 09:21:09 AM »

Not sure about Dodge, but I know my 01, 05 and then 06 Duramax trucks had Bosch injectors.

I knew Dodge and Fiat were in deep for the emissions cheat.  Now GM, wonder if Ford is not far behind?

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

J.D.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 09:54:43 AM »

Wow.  Talk about opening up Pandora's box.  This is going to get really ugly.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 12:06:41 PM »

From what I've read, the FCA 'cheat' on the 3.0 shuts off some emission control devices to preserve the engine under high stress situations. This is allowed, but must be disclosed to the EPA. FCA did not disclose this to the EPA......why not?

I'm due for a new Jeep...but with no diesel for MY17 I will hang on to my MY14.....Might get a GDE tune done and wake it right up!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.