Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 28 oz primary  (Read 1686 times)

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

28 oz primary
« on: March 04, 2017, 11:30:35 PM »

So I got my compensator done under warranty at the dealer. Now its time to change the fluid. This time I measure the fluid that comes out...exactly 28 oz. Manual calls for 38 oz. Regardless of what the dealer put in with the primary off, it still had 28 oz. come out. I will say it shifts harder now with 38oz. in it and neutral is a bit harder.
So.... Is anyone using 28 oz. in the primary and will I screw something up running 28? It is noisy but I rode it 3,000 miles like that.
Thanks
RETIRED! :fireman:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 28 oz primary
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 10:28:36 AM »

The 2007 and later primary doesn't drain as completely or consistently as the older models did, so it's not uncommon to have a problem figuring out how much to actually pour in during a change.  The book may say 45 ounces dry, 38 ounces for a drain and fill, but that drain and fill number can vary quite a bit.  I always recommend people fill only until the fluid touches the bottom edge of the clutch, with the bike sitting level, and don't try to just measure 38 ounces and dump it in.  Even a slightly overfilled primary can cause clutch drag which will affect shifting.  I know there are many who just pour in a quart (32 ounces) and call it good, instead of the 38 called for in the book.  If you're filling it on a lift or stand that holds the bike upright and level though, there is no need to guess, just fill it to the bottom edge of the clutch and stop.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 01:35:23 PM »

With a bone dry primary, I fill it with 30 oz. of primary lubricant, which brings the level to the bottom edge of the clutch.  Over filling the primary beyond this point will cause clutch drag and will make finding neutral more difficult..
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 04:11:44 PM »

I always have and will continue to fill to bottom of the clutch. Last time I did measure what came out, 36.5 oz, I put back 35.5 to get to bottom of clutch with bike totally level.
Hard to drain it completely but overfilling by just dumping in required amount is not good.

Cecild211

• Ride long and hard
    • TN

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRU 111,000 miles
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 04:38:02 PM »

So let me cause some waves.  I had a good and experienced HD tech tell me to fill to almost the bottom of the cover.  The weakest point of the primary is lack of lubricant on the compensator. 

Knowing this I still just put recommended amount which would come just to the bottom of the clutches as stated above. 

I have put 112k on my 11 RG with what seems like endless problems with compensators.  3 as a matter a fact. 

Ok to to reason for this post.  I bought a new 16 RG this year from a dealer up north and had it delivered to TN.  I did my normal fluid inspection when I got to ensure nothing was missed and guess what?  Yep you guessed it, new from dealer and was filled to bottom of cover with bike upright.  So the does it for me.  One trusted tech and a totally unrelated dealer 1500 miles away are using the same strategy. 

So now both bikes are filled to cover with bike upright.  I can not tell the shifting is affected nor do I find it harder to find neutral. 

So time will tell but I just want to add my real works experience. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 07:33:01 AM »

You are correct the biggest problem in the primary is lack of lubrication to the centre of the Compensator, but simply over filling with
primary fluid is not the answer, the compensator is spinning at a high rate so simply adding more fluid does Nothing, the centrifugal forces exerted by the comp just throws fluid away from the centre of it, even the latest Baker unit does not solve the problem, the only answer I have found to work is the "Compensaver" it literally pours fluid into the Ramps so they have a constant flow of oil over them.
WHUFC   COYI

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 09:00:27 AM »

Good information. I was wondering if 28 Oz. Was enough for the compensator?
Everyone talks about having the oil at the bottom of the clutch pack or spring. I must be the only one that has trouble judging that. 😟
Looks like I'll see if I can get the turkey baster in there and draw 10 Oz back out. I have a borescope that will take pictures.  Might post those so someone can "spell it out" to my feeble mind!!
RETIRED! :fireman:

chicoman

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 10:05:10 AM »

You are correct the biggest problem in the primary is lack of lubrication to the centre of the Compensator, but simply over filling with
primary fluid is not the answer, the compensator is spinning at a high rate so simply adding more fluid does Nothing, the centrifugal forces exerted by the comp just throws fluid away from the centre of it, even the latest Baker unit does not solve the problem, the only answer I have found to work is the "Compensaver" it literally pours fluid into the Ramps so they have a constant flow of oil over them.
I have a 2007 se ultra. Replaced orig comp when the very first vers of the se comp came out. Now have over 70000 miles on bike with that same comp. I have always used 48 oz of fluid and have no problems with drag or finding neutral. When torn down for 113 kit comp still looked good.

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 22 queries.