Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fat cat on M8  (Read 4942 times)

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
Fat cat on M8
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:24:12 AM »

Local wrench suggested a D&D Fatcat on a stage 4 M8 build.  I don't want to go to a single pipe and was wondering if any of you have used the ghost pipe option with a fat cat on a CVO street glide?  Your impressions and photos of same would be welcomed.  Thanks in advance.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Fat cat on M8
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:05:16 PM »

Local wrench suggested a D&D Fatcat on a stage 4 M8 build.  I don't want to go to a single pipe and was wondering if any of you have used the ghost pipe option with a fat cat on a CVO street glide?  Your impressions and photos of same would be welcomed.  Thanks in advance.
I have a FatCat on my 2010 CVO Ultra with a detachable TP, so I ride it alot of the time as a StreetGlide. I also have the D&D Ghost pipe. I think it looks great. Very balanced look. The major +: Tremendous performance improvement with a good tune. If you want the max performance out of your bike then this is the exhaust you want. The major downsides: its not cheap and its really LOUD!!!

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »

I can do without the noise!  The other option wrench mentioned is a jack pot head pipe and slip on mufflers.  That then begs the question which slip on to use.  The jack pot pipe is supposedly $500 plus what ever the cost of the mufflers would be.  How much does full sac charge to recore the original CVO pipes? Or the other option is just to gut the original header and throw on a set of street cannons and call it a day.  Other opinions and advice would be welcomed.  Thanks for the reply.

Lprez

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 12:29:21 PM »

+2 on the Fat Cat noise.  Performance boost was brilliant but the few marbles I've got remaining upstairs are still rattling around!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 01:21:06 PM »

I had the Fat Cat with ghost pipe on my '07 CVO Ultra with 110 motor early on mainly to help reduce heat.  Early 110s were VERY hot - they have gotten better.  This was before the cross under exhaust and the bike still had the older style crossover exhaust to the left side.  So my co-rider couldn't get away from the heat.  At least with the D&D it was all on the right side so she could shift over a bit and said it was better.

But they are LOUD and even though we wear ear plugs she hated the Fat Cats.

They did move the heat to one side the motor but the exhaust was still hot!  I'm not real tall 5' 8" but I can flat foot my ultras with no problem at all but I had a tough time 'bow legging' enough at stops to keep my right leg off the pipe.  Burned through several rain suit pants because of this and even burned my leg a couple times.

My Fat Cat header cracked at the weld after a few years.  D&D was stand up about it and replaced it free of charge even though it was out of warranty.  So I give them kudos for that.

One thing you might want to check on is the placement of the bungs for the O2 sensors.  My '07 had the older 14mm sensors but from what I later determined I think the bungs were too tall and didn't allow the sensor probe to be deep enough into the pipe to properly sample the exhaust flow.  This has been a complaint about several after market pipes from what I've read.

So performance, yes, noise, yes, and I found them difficult to keep my leg off when stopped.  Personally I wouldn't want them.  JMO 'cause you asked.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 01:22:47 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 01:37:22 PM »

Thanks for the information and opinions.  I had a Borzilla on my 06 120 and frankly the noise was tiresome at best.  I went to the other extreme on my 15 CVO and left the exhaust totally stock and frankly enjoy the peace and quiet.  With my 2017 CVO SG I would like to find a happy medium that would still allow the Stage 3 or 4 kit do its magic. Right now I am leaning toward street cannon slip ons with a gutted stock head pipe.  Thoughts on that combination? 

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 02:00:12 PM »

The last Jackpot I heard wasn't exactly quiet either. It was in a parking garage and set off a few car alarms.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 02:13:16 PM »

The last Jackpot I heard wasn't exactly quiet either. It was in a parking garage and set off a few car alarms.

Are you referring to the Jackpot headpipe or Jackpot slipons or both?  My plan is combining Jackpot headpipe with HD SE Street Cannons.

Lprez

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 05:17:13 PM »

A properly tuned Fulsac DX with 2.0" cores is a happy medium with great performance lift.  It's also more economical than buying new mufflers.

stepoutthecar

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 08:32:25 PM »

FATCAT INSTALLED JUST LAST WEEK ON MY 114 WITH THE GHOST PIPE. LOVING IT! CAN'T GO WRONG! THE NEW FATCAT IN MY OPINION AREN'T NEARLY AS LOUD AS THE PREVIOUS FATCAT SYSTEMS. GOOD SOUND. NOT QUIET BUT NOT OVERLY LOUD BY ANY MEANS. NO PROBLEM HEARING MUSIC OVER THIS AT ALL.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:41:26 PM by stepoutthecar »

Bacardicokes

• CVO1: 2017 CVO STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO STREET GLIDE
    • CVO3: 2003 CVO DEUCE
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »

Step tell me more did you install a tuner how did it run before and after etc

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 10:36:41 PM »

I can do without the noise!  The other option wrench mentioned is a jack pot head pipe and slip on mufflers.  That then begs the question which slip on to use.  The jack pot pipe is supposedly $500 plus what ever the cost of the mufflers would be.  How much does full sac charge to recore the original CVO pipes? Or the other option is just to gut the original header and throw on a set of street cannons and call it a day.  Other opinions and advice would be welcomed.  Thanks for the reply.
To spend the money you spent and a stage 4 and then gut your header is stepping over the dollars to pickup the penny's. Fullsac is very reasonable and will give you all the performance you paid for with the stage 4. Many members here run Fullsac and you never hear a negative thing plus Steve (The owner) is a member here and gives world class customer service!
Alan

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 10:46:05 PM »

So when will the ful sac system be ready and what will be the estimated cost for the head pipe and re cored stock mufflers. Thanks.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 12:01:47 AM »

FATCAT INSTALLED JUST LAST WEEK ON MY 114 WITH THE GHOST PIPE. LOVING IT! CAN'T GO WRONG! THE NEW FATCAT IN MY OPINION AREN'T NEARLY AS LOUD AS THE PREVIOUS FATCAT SYSTEMS. GOOD SOUND. NOT QUIET BUT NOT OVERLY LOUD BY ANY MEANS. NO PROBLEM HEARING MUSIC OVER THIS AT ALL.

What rider backrest set up are you using ?
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

stepoutthecar

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:57:37 AM »

Step tell me more did you install a tuner how did it run before and after etc

BACARD I WENT WITH THE VISION PRO TUNER AND THE DEALERSHIP DID THE ENTIRE INSTALL FOR WARRANTY PURPOSES. OF COURSE YOU KNOW THE NEW M8'S ARE PRETTY RESPONSIVE. AFTER THE INSTALL I DEFINITELY CAN FEEL SOME EXTRA KICK. EVEN MORE RESPONSIVE! CAN'T GIVE YOU ANY POWER NUMBERS HOWEVER. THEY GAVE ME THE DYNO READOUT AND I THREW IT AWAY IMMEDIATELY. DIDN'T WANT TO GET CAUGHT UP IN THE HP NUMBERS GAME. TRYING TO RESIST THE URGE TO KEEP CHASING BIGGER NUMBERS.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:35:40 PM by stepoutthecar »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.