Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ok guys, help me out here... Oil weeping between cylinders.  (Read 2959 times)

Rab986

• 2007 FXSTSSE
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
Ok guys, help me out here... Oil weeping between cylinders.
« on: March 17, 2017, 09:22:23 PM »

Not good... the PO must have cleaned it all up real good before I went and looked at it because I never noticed pre purchase and I looked it over pretty good.  From the first day I took it out and burnt a tank of gas, I noticed I had what looked to be a weeping oil leak coming from somewhere between the cylinders. I have been eyeballing it for a couple weeks now trying to locate the source and finally cleaned up between the cylinders one more time, ran around the block real quick, came back and started squirting soapy water between the cylinders and wala...

tiny bubbles showed up right at the case halves area and kept bubbling for about 30 seconds.

I'm not sure what the case gasket area is like in that spot between the cylinders but I just find it unlikely that a base gasket would be leaking in that exact location. I guess its possible that the base gasket prep could have been sub par the last time the cylinders were removed but I was thinking the base gasket was on o-ring which typically doesn't require any type of sealant but I'm new to HD engine service so what do I know.

I'm definitely not looking forward to splitting the cases in the riding season but if its absolutely necessary, I guess I have no choice.

Shoot me straight - what would you do at this point?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:03:13 PM by Rab986 »

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
Re: Ok guys, help me out here... Oil weeping between cylinders.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 02:07:26 AM »

You mean it was bubbleing like there was pressure in the case? If thats the case then id pull the covers off and check the breathers are assembled correctly

Rab986

• 2007 FXSTSSE
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 02:20:23 AM »

You mean it was bubbleing like there was pressure in the case? If thats the case then id pull the covers off and check the breathers are assembled correctly

Yeah, I thought that odd as well. I kind of just wrote it off as radiant heat coming through but that may be a stretch. I didn't know you could mess up the breathers, but I will take a look at it tomorrow morning. Anything in particular I should be looking for?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:09:39 AM »

Yeah, I thought that odd as well. I kind of just wrote it off as radiant heat coming through but that may be a stretch. I didn't know you could mess up the breathers, but I will take a look at it tomorrow morning. Anything in particular I should be looking for?

The breathers can be messed up a few ways.  There's also a "new" and an "old" version of the breathers.  If you're in there to look the new kits are cheap.  Might as well just replace them.

Rab986

• 2007 FXSTSSE
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 11:45:02 AM »

The breathers can be messed up a few ways.  There's also a "new" and an "old" version of the breathers.  If you're in there to look the new kits are cheap.  Might as well just replace them.

I had no idea, they look so simple.

Great idea on just replacing and good reason to get out and see if the LD's have a set and rocker box gaskets in stock. I'm sure they got some St.PattysDay weekend shindig going on at least at one of them so why even bother calling. ;) 

Just get away from this computer and quit stressing about my damn leak on my new bike, lol.

Grocery list,
Rocker Box Breathers
Rocker Box Gaskets
Oil Dye
Beer

headed out
-Steve

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 02:06:37 PM »

If it is an 07 110 the head gasket and base gasket leaks were very common. Hopefully the upgrades or fixes were already done which included new heads and new ACR's. Happened three times on mine. Hopefully yours is an easier fix.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 03:15:27 PM »

If the oil isn't tracking down from higher up (should be obvious but maybe not), then the most likely problem is the base gasket(s).  As mentioned by Rooster, the 2007 and 2008 CVO110's had many issues, including head gasket leaks and base gasket leaks.  Harley ran an upgrade program for those model years in late 2008, replacing top end gaskets including the head gaskets.  They also replaced ACR's, which were another problem area.  A dealership should be able to put your VIN into the computer system and see if your bike had the upgrade performed.  It would have been Product Update Program 0906 for your Softail. 

As for the base gaskets, they were O-rings but should have been upgraded to Quad rings, along with new cylinder drain down O-rings.  Those changes were made for the 2009 110's and were supposed to be included in the Update Program.

Jerry
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 03:21:25 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 03:23:31 PM »

Info below in the 2009 Model Year Tech Info.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »

Tech Tip TT-370 attached:

Jerry

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 07:43:10 PM »

Chances are this 08 missed those updates. They were incorporated late in the model year.

Rab986

• 2007 FXSTSSE
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 09:24:33 AM »

I did pickup a couple breathers and gaskets, $42. Great idea and will get them in asap for insurance.

Tech Tip TT-370 attached:

Jerry
Thanks for all the great info.

Chances are this 08 missed those updates. They were incorporated late in the model year.

My 07 did not get covered by the campaign but its my understanding that the engine was recently gone through for piston, porting, cams etc but this is all according to the PO who said the Original Owner had all the work done.  ::)
 It sure runs strong so I tend to believe something has been done but I will be tearing into it this winter to verify these claims and upgrading as needed when I do.

UPDATE:
For the time being, I wanted to give you all an update on my current status.  Have any of you ever heard of threadlocker 290? its a wicking medium strength threadlocker used for pre assembled bolts (no disassembly required), it is amazing for that and I use to use it all the time at a previous job but moving on....

If you have ever seen this stuff in action you would see how well it penetrates the threads so I gave it a try. I taped a cutip to a pencil (so I could reach the seam) and put a couple drops of 290 on the cutip till the head was soaked then dabbed it at the leak point and let it sit for an hour. After the wait I rode a tank of gas out of it in stop and go traffic letting it get good and hot (225*) and also went out and twisted the guts out of it a few times on some twisty backroads. Not one sign of a leak after a tank.
 I cant tell you how impressed I am by this as it was just a shot in the dark and there is literally no mess or sign that I even did anything. I'm very confident in the Loctite 290 for bolts and know it takes heat well but I'm just not sure how it will do w/heat expansion over time as far as sealing a leak such as this one but if it makes it through the summer or even if I have to put a dab on it once a month, consider me tickled pink.

Ok... gotta go swap out my rocker box breathers and get the bike back out today since its gonna be sunny and in the 80's but I wanted to thank everybody for your input, this is a great site.

-Steve

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 12:58:46 PM »

its gonna be sunny and in the 80's

-Steve

Have a great ride Steve.  Enjoy the day and hope the bike comes home dry!

Don

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »

dig up all the 07 stuff on this site.. all the gaskets - a few had cylinder problems - breathers - change the valve springs - some had valve guide problems - etc etc ...  baggers got new heads. the valve springs are too stiff and that exacerbates lifter problems - if its hammered on cranks can have problems.

its all well known issues now - the few bikes that did not get fixed will still need the fixes, eventually.

so just ride it - no point in getting worried about it, if something fails be sure to put it back including all the fixes.  as long as you don't go power mad its not hard to make it totally reliable - my 07 is still "knock on wood" totally reliable but it totally failed at about 900 miles.. puking oil and everything.. the dealer fixed it and its been perfect ever since - i pull a ultra sidecar 100% of the time since new - so i beat it every day and its ok.

to

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 22 queries.