Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Oil Pressure  (Read 19409 times)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
Re: Oil Pressure
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 04:01:40 PM »

Steve the motor sound fine. The dealer said he checked the pressure I'm not sure how so I think and hope it's just the sending unit. Should have a new one by Wednesday. If that does not fix it I told the dealer to come and get it and bring it back to FL. Steve looking for a set of pipes off my 2017 CVO Limited.

They replaced the pump and now the sending unit is bad? Just a coincidence?

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »

With the old pump still in they removed the sending unit and pressure was low at idle. With eh new pump the pressure was OK. So they do think it's a bad sending unit.
Bill

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »

With the old pump still in they removed the sending unit and pressure was low at idle. With eh new pump the pressure was OK. So they do think it's a bad sending unit.
with low oil pressure(pump)did anyone seem concerned about the engine? :o :-[ :'(

J.D.

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2017, 04:47:08 PM »

They replaced the pump and now the sending unit is bad? Just a coincidence?

Steve

Unless it was damaged during their pressure test.  Sounds like it was removed and reinstalled during the pump swap.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2017, 04:51:52 PM »

During the pump change out. I hope it just got damaged. Dealer just called and sent out new switch overnight by UPS. It will get here Monday they don't deliver on Saturday.
Bill

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2017, 05:36:25 PM »

so you got my attention with this one,... your local auto part store should have an oil pressure gauge kit and if it were me think i would be checking, your changing the sender any way pop a gauge on it  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:08:43 PM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2017, 09:17:15 PM »

+1
Never hurts to have a live oil preasure gauge instead of just an idiot light

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2017, 07:26:48 AM »

hopefully a oil pressure gauge will be available soon ...
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »

hopefully a oil pressure gauge will be available soon ...

If you're waiting for Harley to make a kit to add a gauge to a bike they purposely eliminated the gauge from, you might not want to hold your breath. ;D  Fortunately generic oil pressure gauges and sending units are widely available in the aftermarket, so anyone who wants to know, versus just "trusting" H-D, can rig up their own gauge or at least plumb one in temporarily to see what kind of oil pressure they're running.  There are also standard mechanics gauges for diagnostic purposes that connect directly to the oil pressure port in the case, eliminating any sending unit errors.  It sounds like this would be a good idea for a lot of folks.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2017, 09:37:38 AM »

If you're waiting for Harley to make a kit to add a gauge to a bike they purposely eliminated the gauge from, you might not want to hold your breath. ;D  Fortunately generic oil pressure gauges and sending units are widely available in the aftermarket, so anyone who wants to know, versus just "trusting" H-D, can rig up their own gauge or at least plumb one in temporarily to see what kind of oil pressure they're running.  There are also standard mechanics gauges for diagnostic purposes that connect directly to the oil pressure port in the case, eliminating any sending unit errors.  It sounds like this would be a good idea for a lot of folks.

Jerry
AGREED! :2vrolijk_21:

CVOSGJoe

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2017, 10:39:21 AM »

Your not going to find in a local parts store the fittings required to install a mechanical gauge, I believe the fittings are either metric or straight thread vs your typical tapered NPT. The dealers had to wait on special kits from HD that were back ordered for doing exactly as mentioned, checking the pressure using a mechanical gauge.

Not saying it cant be done, for I use Metric and Straight pipe thread components all the time but, they need to be found using fitting companies and such, not Auto Zone type places.
'17 CVO Street Glide w/117 kit.. more mods to come
SOLD-'15 CVO Street Glide. H.C. Mercury Mods are: FM 2-1-2 ceramic header, E-Series FM slip-ons, PV-2, 110 tweaked by Fuel Moto, Detachable Tour-Pak, Heated Seat & Grips and the list goes on....

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 09:47:37 AM »

Your not going to find in a local parts store the fittings required to install a mechanical gauge, I believe the fittings are either metric or straight thread vs your typical tapered NPT. The dealers had to wait on special kits from HD that were back ordered for doing exactly as mentioned, checking the pressure using a mechanical gauge.

Not saying it cant be done, for I use Metric and Straight pipe thread components all the time but, they need to be found using fitting companies and such, not Auto Zone type places.

along with what he said there's not a bracket available to mount on the rocker covers  either  m8  rocker covers are a new design 
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2017, 10:32:01 AM »

Unless Harley had someone design a proprietary switch with a unique thread no one else in the bike or auto industry uses, which is extremely unlikely, I'm sure an adapter could be found that will screw into the engine case.  It may not be the same as the Twin Cams, but that doesn't mean you can't find an adapter.  Figure out what the actual thread size is, then it becomes a case of searching for an adapter.  If it's metric, most of the cars on the road these days use metric so I'll bet at least one brand uses something that matches.j

Yes, the current kits that mount to the rocker cover aren't going to fit the M8.  Harley may never offer a kit that fits, but I'm guessing the aftermarket will once they realize people want to know what the pressure is on the new engines.  In the meantime, temporarily rigging up a mechanics gauge so you can check pressures in various riding conditions should be fairly easy.  People did it for decades with Evo's and Twin Cams when diagnosing oil pressure problems, so it's not something new.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2017, 10:47:53 AM »

I know I read somewhere  :confused5: several months ago after I got my M8 that the moco was 'going' to offer  a kit/device/upgrade   :nixweiss: available from the P&A catalog to allow for direct oil pressure readout on the 17s.  Darned if I can find that info now. 

ADDED:  I did a 'google' search about this and came up with this interesting link:

www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_AU/home/owners/Infotainment.html
Get the latest software for your Harley-Davidson Boom! ... for oil pressure on MY17 models. Oil pressure ... be enabled with a P&A accessory for MY17 vehicles.

This is a website for Australia and New Zealand but the link just takes you to the moco website to update the BB Infotainment center software.  There is nothing about oil pressure.  Perhaps the moco was planning to add this and hasn't yet or decided not to.   :nixweiss:

Don't know if this pertains to domestic.  Seems to me that they could get whatever data is required from the existing sender unit.  I mean that's how they determine when pressure is so low that the light is illuminated. 

Did a little research and learned that the oil pressure sender which was p/n 74438-99A up thru 2016 has been changed to p/n 71400112 for 2017.  Don't know the significance of that but perhaps it will not allow for direct pressure readout.   :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:04:37 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2017, 11:22:36 AM »

IF Harley offers a kit to make the Boom system work like previous models and give actual pressure readings, the kit will have to include a new sending unit.  There are two different types of parts involved, one is just a simple switch that turns the light off once a preset pressure is reached, while the other is more expensive and combines the switch function with actual pressure readings.  If the current M8 engine oil pressure switch is anything like the earlier ones, the preset pressure is so low that basically any pressure at all will turn off the light (I seem to remember checking one a few years back that turned off at approximately 2 psi for instance, I've heard of others that turned off at 1 psi).  Idiot lights are good for telling you about a failure that needs immediate reaction, but not much else.

2016 and previous model years:
P/N 74438-99A  Oil Pressure Sender   $35.47
2017 M8 models:
P/N 71400112  Oil Pressure Switch   $12.63

Jerry

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 22 queries.