Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Discolored heatshields  (Read 2057 times)

Coake

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

Discolored heatshields
« on: March 13, 2017, 01:35:21 PM »

Brand new, this pic is on the showroom floor when I went and saw the bike I purchased over the phone sight unseen :)
This is my first bike ever and when I saw it, I wasn't about to leave it on the showroom floor.
The sales lady said the discoloring looked great, her cuteness was greater than my willingness to question her.

From what I've read, the discoloring is coming from excessive heat? I also gather if I were to tune the bike, that would cool it down. Is this correct? I imagine there is nothing I can do to restore the smoke finish short of getting new shields.
My apologies, I'm completely new to the motorcycle world.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Discolored heatshields
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 02:27:42 PM »

If that is a photo of a brand new bike, not used, then you need to have them replace the shield with a new smoked shield.  That photo looks like something taken off an old abused bike, not a factory fresh bike.  I have no idea how they managed to overheat it like that.

Jerry
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 02:31:26 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 02:35:24 PM »

Cute or not, no way should a brand new bike be delivered in that fashion.

They should definitely be replacing it to "new" condition, if in fact it is a new bike with less than 10 miles on it.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 03:00:37 PM »

As the others have already mentioned, if is was a new bike, take it back!  Actually, if it's a used bike, there is something seriously wrong if the heat shields have that much heat discoloration on them.  I've seen the pipe under the heat shield look like it was hit by a blow torch with so much bluing but the heat shield still hold it's look. 

It should look like this new or otherwise....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:02:38 PM by Haird »

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 03:03:20 PM »

A closer picture of the new heat shields but it's a bit blurry...sorry about that.

Coake

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »

The bike had 15km on it when I picked it up. The folks at the dealership were pretty excited about it and test rode it (that's what I was told anyway).
But that's what I figured. I knew by their answers when I asked about it, were preying on my noobness.
Unfortunately, the dealership I'm dealing with doesn't provide much support at all. They actually give HD a bad name in this area. As I come to find out after the fact, people drive the extra 8 hours on top of the 7 to go to a better dealership.
I'm not a complainer (although it doesn't sound like it now lol) but only 1 fob works with my CVO as well, plus the recall (not a dealership issue tho).

Anyways, would a FP3 tone the heat down, or is this a return to dealership and fight for warranty work?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »

The bike had 15km on it when I picked it up. The folks at the dealership were pretty excited about it and test rode it (that's what I was told anyway).
But that's what I figured. I knew by their answers when I asked about it, were preying on my noobness.
Unfortunately, the dealership I'm dealing with doesn't provide much support at all. They actually give HD a bad name in this area. As I come to find out after the fact, people drive the extra 8 hours on top of the 7 to go to a better dealership.
I'm not a complainer (although it doesn't sound like it now lol) but only 1 fob works with my CVO as well, plus the recall (not a dealership issue tho).

Anyways, would a FP3 tone the heat down, or is this a return to dealership and fight for warranty work?

A recall is in fact a dealership issue if they sold and delivered it to you with an unperformed open recall.  In the US they can be held liable for that.  Do what you want, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't let a dealer get away with delivering a bike to me in that condition and with an open recall that should have been performed prior to the delivery.

They obviously beat the chit out of the bike in their "test rides", thus the severe discoloration of the heat shield.  They should replace the shield free of charge, finish the prep (that's where the fobs are assigned to the bike and tested), and perform the recall.  Then once those items have been taken care of to your satisfaction, find another dealership for all future purchases and work.  Crappy dealerships continue to exist because customers tolerate them when they shouldn't.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 11:40:38 PM »

Jerry is absolutely correct... The selling dealership really dropped the ball on this one, and they should be held accountable.

I remember when I purchased my first Harley some 30 years ago, I had ordered a number of extra accessories to be installed prior to delivery and all were part of the sales agreement.  However, when I went to pick up the bike after they informed me it was ready to go, when I arrived there were a number of items they said were back ordered and I would have to return in a few weeks to have them installed once they arrived.  I was so excited to finally have my first Harley to ride, and they seemed like nice people, I left riding my new bike home and waited for their call to return.

Long story short, that dealership went out of business within a few weeks of my delivery.  I called Deeley Harley-Davidson (former Canadian importer of Harleys) to find out what was up and how was I to arranged closure on my sales agreement.  Happily they were fantastic and within just a few minutes of me faxing them my sales agreement, they hooked me up with another dealer to have everything I had paid for shipped to the new dealer for installation - and then some... They actually paid for a few more goodies I had forgot to order on my original bill, but my new dealer thought I should have!  I couldn't have been happier with they way I was treated after I thought I had lost a bunch dealing with someone who had just skipped town in the middle of the night.

If you do not get total satisfaction from the selling dealership, I suggest that you waste no time getting on the phone to Harley-Davidson Canada (who replaced Deeley Harley-Davidson) and ask for their assistance in making your recent purchase of your new Harley the wonderful experience it should have been all along.  I would be very surprised if they don't look after you straight away to your complete satisfaction.

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:30:15 AM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Coake

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 09:36:38 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful stuff!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 09:52:32 AM »

You got some great advice in this thread - remember - all of us were newbies once upon a time so don't feel bad about that. 

Will add this, if for some reason the selling dealer balks or does not do what they should have done in the first place after you have requested it firmly but politely, take your issues to HD customer service.  Not the next step here, would give this dealer a chance to make it right.  If they do not, let HD in Milwaukee know about it.

And that salesgal may have been cute, but she has the heart of a barracuda when it comes to $$$$$.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 02:57:49 PM »

You got some great advice in this thread - remember - all of us were newbies once upon a time so don't feel bad about that. 

Will add this, if for some reason the selling dealer balks or does not do what they should have done in the first place after you have requested it firmly but politely, take your issues to HD customer service.  Not the next step here, would give this dealer a chance to make it right.  If they do not, let HD in Milwaukee know about it.

And that salesgal may have been cute, but she has the heart of a barracuda when it comes to $$$$$.
100% Agreed :2vrolijk_21:

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »

Nevermind

YB
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:20:33 PM by YELLOWBIRD »
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 08:07:33 PM »

If I saw a bike with 10 miles on it, and it had discolored heat shields, I never would accept it unless it had a very heavy markdown in price--and then, probably not. Either someone beat that motor to get the shields to turn color, or something is seriously wrong with that motor itself. Either way, the dealership has a responsibility to provide product that hasn't been abused or otherwise has a problem. And the dealer likely knows where the problem originated. Make them correct it.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »

Brand new, this pic is on the showroom floor when I went and saw the bike I purchased over the phone sight unseen :)
This is my first bike ever and when I saw it, I wasn't about to leave it on the showroom floor.
The sales lady said the discoloring looked great, her cuteness was greater than my willingness to question her.

From what I've read, the discoloring is coming from excessive heat? I also gather if I were to tune the bike, that would cool it down. Is this correct? I imagine there is nothing I can do to restore the smoke finish short of getting new shields.
My apologies, I'm completely new to the motorcycle world.
HOGMIKE

Redd70

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTD-SE
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »

I wouldn't let anyone from that dealership close to that bike...They're obviously incompetent morons and shouldn't be trusted to touch it.
I Never Grew Up,
Price Of My Toys Just Got bigger.

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.