Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: After market discounted battery vs. HD OEM battery  (Read 1004 times)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
After market discounted battery vs. HD OEM battery
« on: March 13, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »

After market vs  Harley battery

After hitting the ignition I got that hesitation followed by the bike reluctantly turning over. I decided to be proactive and buy myself a new battery.  I did research on this site which has always provided me with top notch information in which to make good buying decisions.  I purchased a Deka ETX30L from High-Tech Battery Solutions, Inc. 5/14/2016. 

I confirmed it was the same HD OEM battery with a different label and about $70  cheaper.  It came as promised and about 2 hours later ( I am little slow and getting the old one out without handles was a bitch.)  it was installed and the bike was working up until March 10th 2017.  Unfortunately, I needed a tow into the dealer.  The battery was deemed defective and because it was an after market, I had to purchase a new HD battery for $180.  Mind you that $180. included the tow AND installation. 

I then contacted High-Tech Battery Solutions, Inc. to see if I could be compensated for the battery failing in 10 months.  I learned that the battery must be returned to them in order start the warranty process.  Imagine yourself out of town, pissed because your bike won't start, hauled into the nearest HD dealer, you wait for it to be fixed and you head down the road only to learn that you were supposed to somehow strap the old battery somewhere on your bike so as to preserve your warranty claim.  This is an absurd notion but is required by High-Tech Battery solutions as a condition to making a warranty claim.  Perhaps all after market vendors are the same, but I will never find out because I won't go that route again.

It ain't worth it to buy an after market battery.  For the difference in price and the ability to make warranty claims all over the country, it just isn't worth it. I am not upset with the brand of battery just myself for being penny wise and pound foolish. 

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: After market discounted battery vs. HD OEM battery
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:51:39 PM »

It is unusual for a battery to fail in such a short time but hey chit does indeed happen.  Point well taken about warranty replacement and I agree with your reasoning.

Sometimes it seems we know the price of everything and the value of nothing.  Myself included but I'm trying to do better.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 06:54:28 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

barrhill

• barrhil
  • Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 CVO RK gold and copper
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO RGC maple
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO RGC mako shark fade
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 09:12:14 PM »

the other day I had a chance to lift one of these twin power battery WOW I thought it was a display model I am sure it didn't feel like a one pound crazy lite weight.. I will try one next time I need one

http://twinpower-usa.com/lithium-ion-battery.html

2019 road glide Mako 2012 road glide  in maple , GMR 117,600 gmr cams , fullsac pipes and slipons , S&S crank and oil pump , TTS ,Barnett scorpion , 58mm oval HPI ,DD7   2008 CVO road king in copper with 16 apes ,fullsac baffles, SE tuner

Tropix

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 07:26:13 PM »

Know the feeling all too well.  Also know that the old "misery loves company" business is no comfort.  However you should see if your insurance will reimburse you for the tow part of the bill.  Also, if you're a HOG member you may try reimbursement via that route as well.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 10:23:04 PM »

First: at $180 towing and labor, for the same battery that my local charges $183 *plus tax*, carry-out...  you got a steal of a deal.
Second, would you *really* expect ANY mfr to warranty something (send you a check) without the item returned to them? That's, frankly, absurd. Of course you'll need to return the product for warranty. Are you really thinking that through? Should they just send a check or a battery to anyone who calls to say theirs broke and they threw it out?
Third point: when you use HOG towing, you can only get towed to HD. HD only sells HD batteries, so, the trick is to use some other towing that's not wedded to the MoCo. I use Progressive and can get it taken to an Indy.... who might sell Deka batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »

First: at $180 towing and labor, for the same battery that my local charges $183 *plus tax*, carry-out...  you got a steal of a deal.
Second, would you *really* expect ANY mfr to warranty something (send you a check) without the item returned to them? That's, frankly, absurd. Of course you'll need to return the product for warranty. Are you really thinking that through? Should they just send a check or a battery to anyone who calls to say theirs broke and they threw it out?
Third point: when you use HOG towing, you can only get towed to HD. HD only sells HD batteries, so, the trick is to use some other towing that's not wedded to the MoCo. I use Progressive and can get it taken to an Indy.... who might sell Deka batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree that a return of the defective battery is a condition to making a warranty claim.  Given the limited ability to haul an extra battery on our bikes, this should be a disqualifier for buying after market batteries.  You never know where you will be when it fails. If you have a HD battery the warranty will be honored all over the country.  The dealer did right by me
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.