Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GPS/CB/Radio/iPod speaker switch and cut-in pecking order  (Read 732 times)

Tropix

GPS/CB/Radio/iPod speaker switch and cut-in pecking order
« on: March 16, 2017, 06:23:51 PM »

On my 2013 CVO Ultra Glide Limited the speaker switch for headphone only/bike only/ or both seems to work only intermittently or sometimes delays for several minutes before kicking in.  This problem I think is also related to the GPS not cutting-in to override the iPod music for turn-by-turn voice prompts.  Elsewhere on this forum I read where advise was given to update the software, but think that was applicable to the 2014 and later Infotainment system.  Are updates possible for the 2013 and earlier sound systems on CVOs?  Thanks.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: GPS/CB/Radio/iPod speaker switch and cut-in pecking order
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 07:29:37 AM »

If your problem is "that the GPS does not seam to interrupt what is playing for turn prompts" then your problem is more then likely your Navigation Interface Module.

Jim@hdbomm
Ride It Like You Are Retired

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 09:01:09 AM »

I had similar problems on my 2012 CVO Ultra and I think (like Jim said) it could be related to the NIM.  If you are not hearing audio then the NIM could be hanging open and not releasing back to the audio feed.  Likewise if the NIM is malfunctioning it could cause the GPS prompts to not be passed through.

One other think I experienced with the lack of GPS prompts being passed through is a bad connection between the GPS device and its mount.  Even though everything looks clean it can get a film of oxidation and cleaning the contacts on the mount and the GPS device can sometimes remedy the problem.

Of course with all the electronics it could be something else entirely.  On my 2012 I had to replace the passenger audio cable as it was shorting out intermittently and causing all sorts of strange problems.  Good luck with getting it isolated and sorted.

Added:  yes, there are software downloads for the HK radio.  Go to the H-D website and select the 'owners' tab.  Then under the 'Infotainment' tab select 'Software Downloads.'  Then the far right tab is for 'Other Software Downloads' which pertains to 2013 and earlier models.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:05:31 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Tropix

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 04:18:46 PM »

Thank you folks.  I'll make sure the NIM and Garmin contacts are super clean and working good. Also thanks for the audio download information, it turns out my system is already current.  Weather is lousy here now so it will be awhile before I'm on the road to test again.  But will eventually let you know the results.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.