Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: St. Patrick's Day Santa Maria GTG  (Read 5170 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
St. Patrick's Day Santa Maria GTG
« on: March 17, 2017, 09:58:12 PM »

Alan, Mike, Babe & I left San Diego about 8:00 a.m. this morning and headed north out of San Diego on I-5.  A quick stop in Santa Ana at Danny Gray seats to replace a rider's backrest on Alan's seat and we were back on the road.

Lane split most of the way through Los Angeles over the next two or three hours but even with that, traffic was about as good as it gets in LA.  We stopped at the old stage coach stop, Cold Springs Tavern to get lunch and to hook up with Van.

Alan's 17 CVO Street Glide that he's already had the motor bumped up, stereo mods, saddle bag liners tricked out and a few other mods.....

and Van finally rolled in......

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: St. Patrick's Day Santa Maria GTG
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:31:13 PM »

And since this is Van's back yard, he's going to lead and take us a more scenic route than Hwy. 101....and he did!

Leaving Cold Springs Tavern we ride under the 2nd tallest bridge in California....that means this is a very deep canyon next to us, as we leave and pass under the bridge since we're also near the top.....

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »

Cold Springs Tavern was a stage stop and hotel back in the 1800s, a place to stop and eat, rest or even get a room for the night.  Next stop on the stage line was also the last stop.  At Mattie's Tavern is where people got off the stage and got on the train....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:33:54 PM »

Not the stage.......just a few saddle broken broncs....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:34:50 PM »

Van leads out again, taking us down Foxen Canyon Rd.   It may be a surprise to some but Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch is located in the next valley over.  You will also notice that with all the rain that we've gotten here in California that everything is so green.  Alan commented that it felt like we were riding the green fields of Ireland.  Well, since it is St. Patrick's Day it was easy to imagine......

This sign tells us this is going to be a very nice ride.....let's do it!

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 10:35:48 PM »

Erin Go Braugh!........

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 10:36:23 PM »

With all the bright colors.....not hard to imagine this place being off in Ireland.......

We arrived at the Best Western Plus here in Santa Maria at 4:00 p.m.  We registered and then stood in the parking lot talking for about an hour.  Van, being true to his reputation disappeared......nobody saw him again, once we turned in to the motel parking lot.   :nixweiss:   Looking forward to our ride tomorrow.  It was great t-shirt riding weather today and more of the same for tomorrow.

West Coast GTG   

CAmike

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 11:13:52 PM »

Great pics! I ride through the central coast all the time and was on Foxen Canyon Road last week. Love the area and so many great canyon roads to explore and get lost.

ptnlinda

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 02:40:41 AM »

loved the pic's. Great day for it by the look of it.
2015 FLHTKSE
Fuel Moto Jackpot Headers
2" Muffler Cores
Thunder Max ECM
Detachable's Kit
Stainless Fasteners throughout.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 08:48:52 AM »

Yep, I spent the day in my t-shirt.  Plan to do the same on our ride today.  More pics will be posted tonight.

West Coast GTG   

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 09:50:09 AM »

Thanks JC for another great ride report.

Even though it was hovering around 40°f here on St. Paddy's Day, there is still too much sand & chit on the road to take my "Green Dream Machine" ('91 Heritage) for a ride, but we felt like we were riding right along with you through the dales!

Thanks for sharing.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:53:29 AM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »

Thanks for the report and pics.
We have gone from almost daily snow to daily rain. But whats new.
We are in the wash the de icer off the road season. And your post and pics help me look forward to riding season.
Ride safe.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 10:06:08 AM »

Wish I would have paid attention to this gtg...  My wife and I spent the night in Port Hueneme at the Holiday Inn Express.  We are going to be riding the mountains near Malibu today and then head back east towards Savannah tomorrow.... Rode in from 29 Palms yesterday to Santa Monica Pier, then to Ventura HD for a new tire.  I little foggy near the water but nice up top.  Great riding once out of the traffic....

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 11:28:57 PM »

This Best Western Plus has one of the nicest breakfasts of any BW that I've ever stayed in.

Marty (110 mofo) showed up as we were finishing breakfast.  It was more foggy as we headed back to our rooms to get ready to roll than it was when we walked over for breakfast.  Of course the bikes were soaked so we wiped them down and got ready to roll....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 11:29:48 PM »

There were more wild flowers in bloom that I've ever saw in my 66 yrs.  The news says that the wild flowers are blooming at a record rate due to all the rain that we've had.....

West Coast GTG   
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 22 queries.