Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should inter tubes be replaced every time you change tires?  (Read 1117 times)

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
Should inter tubes be replaced every time you change tires?
« on: March 19, 2017, 08:51:26 AM »

Went to the dealer to price tires for my 03 Wide Glide with spoke rims, the service manager gave me an estimate including rim straps and new inter tubes. Is it really necessary to replace the rim straps and tubes when replacing tires?
Supershooter

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
Re: Should inter tubes be replaced every time you change tires?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »

Went to the dealer to price tires for my 03 Wide Glide with spoke rims, the service manager gave me an estimate including rim straps and new inter tubes. Is it really necessary to replace the rim straps and tubes when replacing tires?
Supershooter
I would always replace them because there is a chance of the rubber deteriorating over time depending how old they are, also cheap insurance when replacing the tire.
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »

No it is not necessary at all.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 09:54:04 AM »

I would always replace even if technically it is not needed. The next chance would be at the next tire change which means asking the tube to last the life of 2 tires--or doing the job again in between tire changes. As mentioned before--cheap insurance.

wtfdskin

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:56:55 AM »

I would definately. Not that expensive while youre in there. Cheap piece of mind.

When i had my softail. They found rust under the rim strap. When cleaning it up it came through. Moisture gets in the spoke holes.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 10:02:28 AM »

What's your life worth? :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »

Yes, replace the tube.  People may believe they last forever and the only thing that could cause a problem is a puncture, but those people are wrong.  The material loses strength and flexibility over time, like all rubber products, and it is also affected by friction between the tire and tube as well as the tube and rim.  There is constant movement from compression and expansion any time the tire is rolling.  I'm assuming the current tire and tube have been on the rim for a significant amount of time btw.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 12:56:03 PM »

In the latter 70s I started working in a gas station at 11 years old.  First jobs were gas island, lube rack and tire machine.  I was a runt and the tire machine kicked my ass repeatedly.  While tubeless tires were predominant by then there were still a lot of tubed tires being run.  Can easily remember many tubes that hadn't be replaced with a previous tire change (or several) and how powdery thin they would get and how easily the stems could split off. 

If the tube blows on a car you say a bad word or three and roll to the side of the road.  If it blows on a bike you roll to the side of the road if you're lucky.  As often it's a more interesting ride that too often combines with rash and broken (people and bike) bits.

The tube may look and feel and (for the moment) be just fine.  Change it all anyway. 

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 09:38:41 PM »

Not sure why anyone would question this. I, like Twolane, was changing tires at the local Chev dealer, but in the late 60's. Tubes would be paper thin from wear and would always be replaced. People do not think a tube wears, but everytime you hit a bump and the tire flexes the tube moves inside the very abrasive inside of the tire. This constant friction just literally wear the already thin tube out.

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 10:50:15 PM »

Growing up in a conservative and poor farming family we used everything we could until it was unsafe or wore out. So I've seen many tubes get reused over the years. That being said, I was letting my past get I the way of my safety. I plan on replacing the intertubes and anything else that'll reduce tire issues. Thanks for shining the light in my eyes, it's what I needed.
Supershooter

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 11:18:33 PM »

In the latter 70s I started working in a gas station at 11 years old.  First jobs were gas island, lube rack and tire machine.  I was a runt and the tire machine kicked my ass repeatedly.  While tubeless tires were predominant by then there were still a lot of tubed tires being run.  Can easily remember many tubes that hadn't be replaced with a previous tire change (or several) and how powdery thin they would get and how easily the stems could split off. 

If the tube blows on a car you say a bad word or three and roll to the side of the road.  If it blows on a bike you roll to the side of the road if you're lucky.  As often it's a more interesting ride that too often combines with rash and broken (people and bike) bits.

The tube may look and feel and (for the moment) be just fine.  Change it all anyway.
this was before you became a WRENCH, correct.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.