Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Touch up paint  (Read 3606 times)

davidwruth

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2107 FLHTKSE
Touch up paint
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:49:39 PM »

Has anyone got touch up paint for their bikes?  On my trip to Daytona I messed up.  I forgot to clip the two back clips on my harley luggage and it hung over the back of the bike and chipped the paint on the light bar. Just want to touch it up for now and have it painted later. One good thing. The harley luggage clips are apparently strong. I only used two of them for about 20 miles.

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
Re: Touch up paint
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:01:38 PM »

I always get the touch-up paint for every bike I own.
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 07:37:24 AM »

If anyone finds CVO touch up paint I'd like to know..
Bill

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:42:51 AM »

I'm not aware of anyone selling touch-up kits for CVO's other than H-D.  Unless something has changed very recently, your dealer can order a set for you that contains a small bottle of each color (clear is separate unless your bike uses a tinted clearcoat).  Ask the experienced guy at the parts counter, if your dealership has such a person.

Jerry

Btw, the part number for the kit is 98601_ _ _      The color code of the bike goes in the three spaces.  For instance, Black Garnet and Electric Pearl 2017 FLHTKSE  is part number 98601EDK.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:06:03 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 02:42:17 PM »

If anyone finds CVO touch up paint I'd like to know..

I had some for my '07, actually still have it. It was a 3 part kit, base color and top coat in both primary colors. I scuffed up the bottom corner of one of my saddlebags and touched it up, looked like crap. I'm glad it wasn't in a more visible place, if it had been I wouldn't have attempted it.

WB

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2010 Ultra Classic
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 07:41:49 PM »

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »

If you want to use touch-up paint to repair a scratch/chip it is like everything else anymore, Best left to a professional. You have to clean/prep the area with prep-solv or in a pinch, rubbing alcohol. Then tape all around the area to be repaired and lighly sand the chip/scratch. You are not going to metal just enough to give the paint something go bite. I use 1500 or 2000 paper wet. Then apply several VERY light coats of paint to only fill the scratch. Try to not let the paint on the repair become thicker than the surrounding area. This requires a VERY light touch as you may have two colors and a clear, so each coat needs to be paper thin. If the repair does end up to "deep" you can level it with a rubber wet-sand pad and some light paper, just take your time. NEVER use your finger, you will cut a finger shaped groove.
Let it dry competely between coats and then overnight after completion. Next day tape around the repair area and sand with 2000 or 2500 wet, gradually pulling back the tape until you have about a quarter sized area sanded. Then buff with a agressive foam pad using light compound until sanding scratches just start to disappear, change to medium pad and use ( I use Mothers #1 here) and finally use a non-aggressive pad with you favorite swirl mark remover (I use Mothers #2) here. The repair at this point should have no noticeable appearance. Couple days later use you favorite wax.
Been doing this type repair for 35 years with excellent results but without fail everyone I have done it for expects it to take 5-10 minutes and look just like it never happened, you can do a 10 minute touch-up but it will look "touched up", not repaired.
IMHO.

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »

I asked about CVO paint to paint my tourpak to match the new bike. Dealer told me they can only get the small bottles for nicks and such, and that they cant even get CVO paint for spray.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 09:38:11 PM »

You can not buy larger containers of paint from Harley, or GM or Ford. Paint has to be purchased from a paint jobber/supply store. Try PPG for the CVO colors.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »

The Better Pain Supply places have a machine that needs about 4" x4" Flat area that the machine can seal any external light to read the exact color and the computer can give the correct amounts of paints for a match.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 03:19:24 PM »

I obtained an H-D touch up kit for my CUSE8 from my dealer. Had a stone chip on the front fender to be repaired. Got the kit but they 'forgot' about doing the repair over the winter when it was stored. It's like TinSpinner indicated, a three part kit and was $50....

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 06:09:50 PM »

Great advice. Touching up cvo paint is a royal PITA!
If you want to use touch-up paint to repair a scratch/chip it is like everything else anymore, Best left to a professional. You have to clean/prep the area with prep-solv or in a pinch, rubbing alcohol. Then tape all around the area to be repaired and lighly sand the chip/scratch. You are not going to metal just enough to give the paint something go bite. I use 1500 or 2000 paper wet. Then apply several VERY light coats of paint to only fill the scratch. Try to not let the paint on the repair become thicker than the surrounding area. This requires a VERY light touch as you may have two colors and a clear, so each coat needs to be paper thin. If the repair does end up to "deep" you can level it with a rubber wet-sand pad and some light paper, just take your time. NEVER use your finger, you will cut a finger shaped groove.
Let it dry competely between coats and then overnight after completion. Next day tape around the repair area and sand with 2000 or 2500 wet, gradually pulling back the tape until you have about a quarter sized area sanded. Then buff with a agressive foam pad using light compound until sanding scratches just start to disappear, change to medium pad and use ( I use Mothers #1 here) and finally use a non-aggressive pad with you favorite swirl mark remover (I use Mothers #2) here. The repair at this point should have no noticeable appearance. Couple days later use you favorite wax.
Been doing this type repair for 35 years with excellent results but without fail everyone I have done it for expects it to take 5-10 minutes and look just like it never happened, you can do a 10 minute touch-up but it will look "touched up", not repaired.
IMHO.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.