Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what's the best harley dealer in tn for engine building  (Read 1301 times)

xupd42bmg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

what's the best harley dealer in tn for engine building
« on: March 31, 2017, 05:02:53 PM »

Right now I'm bone stock and considering a winter project. I'm waiting on a call back from JB Performance but does anyone recommend a Harley Dealer in TN that is performance minded and will stand behind their work and not try and get out of warranty on things. I really want a fast worry free bike" probably doesn't exist". I use this bike for touring of course. I've also thought about maybe I should buy another bike for a hot rod and maybe just do a stage one one my 2016 CVO RG and get the extended warranty. I need to call my dealer and see how much can be done without affecting warranty but before I bought the bike my dealer pretty much told me that they had to do all the work to keep warranty. I know a lot of people don't believe in warranty but that's the reason I bought a new bike was to be able to not worry about things. I hear that these things eat lifters like crazy which is another reason I should probably just do a stage one and extend the warranty.
Sorry, lots to read but I know you guys have been dealing with this stuff for a long time. This is my first new Harley CVO.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Re: what's the best harley dealer in tn for engine building
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 08:16:02 PM »

Depend on what you want done. I've seen several motors from SMHD that run very well, but these are SE upgrades. Don't believe they have anyone doing heads. J&B does very good work, and IMO the best tuner in the state. One stop shop. 
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 09:03:24 AM »

J&B Performance, specifically Brandon tuned my 13 CVO King with a built motor.  Did a great job, runs smoother than stock, easier to ride.  Short of riding to FL to have Doc tune, I do not think you will find better in TN.

SMHD does good work.  Many people are happy with them.  They are my preferred dealer for sure.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

LifeBehindBars

• 2017 Street Glide CVO
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.cvoharley.com
    • ON

• CVO1: 2017 Street Glide CVO
    • CVO2: 2006 Road King Classic
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 09:44:11 AM »

A good friend of mine had his 2007 CVO Ultra engine rebuilt under warranty last year at Smoky Mountain Harley-Davidson in Maryville. He was very impressed with the results.
2017 Street Glide CVO - Arctic Black and Dark Slate - Boom II - Solo chopped King Pak - Rinehart exhaust - Memphis Shades windshield

Smarty

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 10:03:21 AM »

JB Performance and Brandon would be my choice in Tennessee. Mark at Oasis in Brandon Mississippi would be another great builder and tuner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 10:24:46 AM »

If you start changing cams, tune, etc. it will affect your warranty.  A dealership can still commit to honoring the warranty but that doesn't mean that the warranty will be honored by other dealerships if you're on the road with a breakdown. 

Be sure you communicate clearly with the dealership that you want the factory warranty (and extended warranty, if you got that also) to be honored at any dealership, should you break down anywhere in your journeys.  Any promise or commitment that they make....get it in writing.

There are a few mods that you can do (Fullsac baffles, TTS tuner, etc. ) and put it back to stock before you take it in for warranty work.

As for extended warranty.....I'm not a fan of them.....except for Harleys!  I've gotten the extended warranties (service agreements) since my first bagger in 1989 and they've paid for their self and then some on every bike I've had, since.  My ex, Terrie's 09 Street Glide (not a CVO) had the motor replaced after the crank scissored at 30k miles.  My 10 CVO Street Glide had the motor rebuilt after the crank scissored at just over 32k miles.  Other issues on other baggers have been a transmission main shaft that twisted in to two pieces (that is very rare even for drag bikes), lifters, electrical issues and on and on.  On my current bike, a 13 CVO Ultra Classic that I bought used but it had the extended warranty, the rear tire was replaced twice and now it's in the shop getting a new rear wheel, bearings, caliper, etc. due to wheel bearings failure on the freeway, loaded and with passenger (this was a first for me in all my decades of riding).  Rear wheel actually had rusted water in it.   So, if you are somebody that only puts a few thousand miles a year on your bike and stay pretty much local.....it may not be worth the cost of extended warranty.  But if you're a rider and do the long haul tours.....it's a huge piece of mind. JMHO
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 02:37:03 PM »

Xupd-
  Not sure where in TN you are, but if you're in the S/SW part of the state, look into Redstone H-D, just west of Huntsville, AL. New management, new emphasis on customer relations, and a LOT of capital improvement over the prior regime. They'll give you straight answers on what you're looking for.

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 07:47:29 AM »

R&B,talk to red.tell him Kirby sent you.he`s a long time friend and been making HD`s go fast way before it was cool o do so (he dosnt actually own it anymore,but still owns the powder coat shop in the same building as is there everyday

xupd42bmg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 02:01:25 PM »

Awesome...  thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning keeping my CVO stock except with a stage one because I use this bike to tour on so HOPEFULLY Harley comes out with a CVO RG this year and I'll make that my hot rod. But you know how plans go...lol.   
Yeah I like Red Stone Harley too..   She make me a killer deal on my streetbob. Unfortunately I don't think she works there any more  :-\

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 22 queries.