Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Pricing mods into asking price when selling  (Read 4917 times)

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
Pricing mods into asking price when selling
« on: March 27, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »

I'm considering selling my Ultra and I'm trying to figure out what a reasonable asking price would be for it. Is there a general rule of thumb for pricing in the mods that I've done? I know that it's only worth what someone is willing to pay but I need a starting point.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Pricing mods into asking price when selling
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 01:48:25 PM »

Just assume you're going to eat the mods.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 01:57:46 PM »

Just assume you're going to eat the mods.

That's not what I want to hear, but it is what I expected. The good news is, it'll make it easier to justify keeping it and just buying a third bike. The bad news is, it'll take a little while longer to get the new one. Oh well, maybe I'll like the 2018 colors better.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »

To the right person who appreciates the mods as much as you maybe a 20% return. On the other hand if the buyer has different ideas on mods it is a deal breaker at any price.
T-MAN 117 kit

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 02:30:21 PM »

Thats a nice looking bike JoeVibe shouldn't be hard to sell does it have the infotainment system I think that is one thing if not that would effect the desirabilty......

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 03:06:55 PM »

Hey Joe, when you trade, the dealer normally allows 10 cents on the dollar for your mods.  I would think you could ask a bit more selling it yourself.

I've still got your backrest support stuff next time you are over this way.... ;D

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 04:22:58 PM »

Joe, trading in you will be lucky as Haird said 10 cents on the dollar unless they have a buyer for it.  Surprisingly there are a lot of used CVO's on the market and the range goes from Wow I wouldn't let mine go for that to That's more than I can get a new one for. Your bike is super nice and I can only imagine what you have in it.  Try the open market first and then make your decision.

Good Luck

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 05:18:06 PM »

To the right person who appreciates the mods as much as you maybe a 20% return. On the other hand if the buyer has different ideas on mods it is a deal breaker at any price.

I know I'd have to find the right buyer to appreciate what I've done. If I do decide to try to sell it I just don't what to ask a stupid high price. If I can't make a deal I feel good about I'll just keep it.

Thats a nice looking bike JoeVibe shouldn't be hard to sell does it have the infotainment system I think that is one thing if not that would effect the desirabilty......

It's a '13 so no infotainment deal.

I've still got your backrest support stuff next time you are over this way.... ;D

Yeah, sorry about that Howard. I do still want it, I may just have to make a special trip to buy you dinner and pick it up.

Joe, trading in you will be lucky as Haird said 10 cents on the dollar unless they have a buyer for it.  Surprisingly there are a lot of used CVO's on the market and the range goes from Wow I wouldn't let mine go for that to That's more than I can get a new one for. Your bike is super nice and I can only imagine what you have in it.  Try the open market first and then make your decision.

Good Luck

Thanks Jim. I'm not really worried about most of the stuff I did but I wouldn't mind recouping some of the money I spent down at GMR. The problem is I'm drooling over this '17 CVO SG and the dealer would love to have me take it home. I offered to trade him even for my Ultra but he didn't bite. I told him that was the starting point for our negotiations but he didn't counter. If I do sell it I'm sure I'll do a private sale. Truth be told I'll most likely just end up with three. I never understood why guys collected bikes......now I'm starting to figure it out.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 05:18:35 PM »

Mods are worth $0, but can make the bike easier to sell if the new buyer have the same taste.

Only mod I would personally pay for on a used bike would be suspension upgrades.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 05:22:28 PM »

I'm considering selling my Ultra and I'm trying to figure out what a reasonable asking price would be for it. Is there a general rule of thumb for pricing in the mods that I've done? I know that it's only worth what someone is willing to pay but I need a starting point.
I just sold my 2015 SGS that I had over 8k of all HD accessories and Vance & Hines Power Duals, 450 slip-ons and FP3, I removed the Day Maker headlamp and the CVO seat and sold them, which got me another $1000.00 towards the bike, I was going to put the stock wheels back on and sell the Aggressor wheels but then the right guy came along and bought it, I did not get anywhere near the amount I had in it, but I do believe it sold easier with mods that I did
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 05:24:07 PM »

Mods are worth $0, but can make the bike easier to sell if the new buyer have the same taste.

Only mod I would personally pay for on a used bike would be suspension upgrades.

I forgot about the suspension. OK, maybe I could get some value from the powertrain and suspension upgrades.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 05:29:14 PM »

I just sold my 2015 SGS that I had over 8k of all HD accessories and Vance & Hines Power Duals, 450 slip-ons and FP3, I removed the Day Maker headlamp and the CVO seat and sold them, which got me another $1000.00 towards the bike, I was going to put the stock wheels back on and sell the Aggressor wheels but then the right guy came along and bought it, I did not get anywhere near the amount I had in it, but I do believe it sold easier with mods that I did

I'm not unrealistic at all, even I wouldn't pay me anywhere near what I've got invested and I know I'd have to find just the right buyer to be interested at all. One way or the other it'll all work out.

J Heinlein

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 05:43:59 PM »

Demolition Man,  couldn't agree more.   One of the best Mods you can do but the expense sometimes turns riders away from spending the money.  You can't see it or hear it.  LOL      It's one that is worth the money and will get you some coin back to the ones who have upgraded other bikes and know the benefits.   

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 06:07:32 PM »

Good mods help sell it.  Any add-on mods that you added won't net you much at all.  That why I bought a CVO.  Most of what I would do is already done except for headers, mufflers and tune.  CVO price is CVO price. 
2015 CVO Limited

FreeJenks

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 05:14:57 PM »

Put stock back on sell the upgrades on ebsy

Trust but Verify

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.