Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Temp gauge  (Read 2161 times)

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Oil Temp gauge
« on: April 03, 2017, 03:13:48 PM »

Any one know why I can find oil temp gauges on the dipstick all day for $20-$40 and JES customs wants $149 for theirs? I want to buy a quality gauge. They Don't make an in-dash for the 13 CVO Ultra that matches my carbon Fiber gauge face.....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Oil Temp gauge
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »

Any one know why I can find oil temp gauges on the dipstick all day for $20-$40 and JES customs wants $149 for theirs? I want to buy a quality gauge. They Don't make an in-dash for the 13 CVO Ultra that matches my carbon Fiber gauge face.....

Where are you seeing oil temp dip sticks for $20-$40?  Just as a point of reference, the stock dipstick for your bike is priced at $52 from Harley, and it doesn't have a thermometer in it. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 04:46:44 PM »

grc...the dipstick oil gauges that are on ebay are not H/D brand...They are a mixed breed but a lot of them....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 05:26:05 PM »

While it's not always true, at least some of the time you get what you pay for.  I'm not so sure I'd trust a $20 thermometer/dipstick.  Yes, $139 is a lot for a dipstick, but in the world of custom pieces for Harley's,  $139 is cheap.  Most places that design and produce a quality product and stand behind it expect to get a decent return on their investment.  It's not like they sell  tens of thousands of them to help spread their costs over higher volumes.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

popsracing

• Full CVO Member
  • 2011 CVO Road Glide SE
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »

Doesn't make a lot of sense to put in a gauge...It's not like it's gonna make your bike run cooler it's just make you worry more.
2011 CVO FLHTRUSE
FULLSAC DX pipe W/2" baffles & TTS tuned
SoCal Tru-HID headlights
Easy Up center stand
Tour Pack Quick Detach Docking Kit Installed

IF YOUR GONNA BE A BEAR...BE A GRIZZLY

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 05:07:26 PM »

Doesn't make a lot of sense to put in a gauge...It's not like it's gonna make your bike run cooler it's just make you worry more.

Very true.  I've asked more than one person in the past what they planned to do when out riding and the oil temp starts climbing over what they think is normal.  Will they shut the bike down and sit on the side of the road until the oil cools?  If so, they better plan on a lot of stops during the summer travel season.  Perhaps a better use for the money wasted on those temperature dipsticks would be to invest it in either a fan assisted oil cooler, cylinder head cooling fans, or even both.  Unlike that dipstick, those things will actually help control the temperatures. 

Jerry

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 08:46:53 PM »

On my '01 I had both the dipstick and the dashboard oil temp gauges. Neither of the temps read the same. Not only did I worry, I worried which one was right.

Ancient saying goes,

"Man with one oil temp gauge always knows correct oil temperature. Man with two oil temp gauges NEVER knows correct oil temperature."

LOL!!!!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 08:56:15 PM »

On my '01 I had both the dipstick and the dashboard oil temp gauges. Neither of the temps read the same. Not only did I worry, I worried which one was right.

Ancient saying goes,

"Man with one oil temp gauge always knows correct oil temperature. Man with two oil temp gauges NEVER knows correct oil temperature."

LOL!!!!

And man with no oil temperature gauge can feel free to find some other uncontrollable thing to worry about instead. ;)

Btw, the reason your two gauges read differently is that the dipstick measures the temp of oil that just recently returned to the pan from the engine, and the dash mounted gauge measures the temp of oil that has been through the baffles of the oil pan and is now on the way back to the engine.  The oil pan is a heat sink and does lower the temp of the oil as it passes through.

Jerry

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 08:22:40 AM »

i have a harley one gauge on both bikes , like them very much,,keep an eye on the oil on hot days :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.