Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: new indian chieftan elite  (Read 12262 times)

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
Re: new indian chieftan elite
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2017, 01:53:29 AM »

Arlen Ness, Got two of the new limited Jack Daniels bikes out of the 100 made, They told me I missed getting one of them by an hour or so someone just put a down payment on the last one.  :nixweiss:

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2017, 08:07:26 AM »

As well as this one.  I'm hoping they have the new John Daniels bike along with the limited and elite at the Knoxville Indian dealer demo this weekend.  If they do and I get a chance to run by, I'll shoot some pics.

Meanwhile, this is a nice looking ride...

Jack sold out in 10 minutes...a record!

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/indian-chieftain-jack-daniels-limited-edition-sold-out-in-10-minutes-1671534

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2017, 08:21:18 AM »

***"Street Glide copy".  Indian changes a front fender and that one change makes it a "Street Glide copy?"  In order to be a CVO Street Glide copy, it would have to have valve train failure, tires that could only be purchased at a HD shop, compensator problems, poor custom paint, etc.***

Well, I have had 5 in this century, 4 of them CVO's and none had valve train problems, never a compensator problem and no paint problems (& I ran a body shop so I understand paint). Tire deal is no problem to me, I have and will continue to use Dunlop tires as they are part of Goodyear and Goodyear sponsors and supports almost every racing series in the world, I support them as a result.
So yes it looks like a Street Glide copy to me, but then Polaris has no choice but to make clones. They are chasing the market that HD has continued to develop without a multi decade gap for over a hundred years.

I sure wish I could say the same.  I have had 09, 12, 13, 15 and 17 CVO's.  The 09 had valve train failure and compensator failure, traded it with 46K on it for the 12.   The 12 had compensator failure, clutch failure, regulator failure.  The 13 has had no failures, but I built the motor at 1500 miles and put in better lifters and so on.  The 12 was traded with 45K miles on the 15 CVO Road glide Ultra.  It had compensator failure and catastrophic valve train failure at 44K miles.  Motor had to be replaced, and it was traded the day the new motor was done on the 17.

I sure wish I never had issues with my 110 bikes, but that has been far from the case.  So far, with 11K the 17 is doing real good.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

mark

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2017, 09:31:44 AM »

I wouldn't say Indian dealers are starving around my region.  My local dealer opened just over a year ago and has grown exponentially.  I've gotten to know the Indian Gen. Mgr. and he told me that on a Saturday they can't keep up with customer traffic, sales, service, etc.  I'd estimate they've doubled the number of employees in a year.  I think with no domestic competition, HD got fat and lazy and had started taking their customers for granted.  Indian is just the wake up call HD needed to get off their laurels.  Hopefully the M8 will be trouble-free.  So good, so far.       

rockytop117

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »

If you ride a New Indian & remove the HD blinders , you'll buy one! I've demo'd multiple ones & the balance & feel is so much smoother than a HD imho 
11 SERG.
117ci
570G S&S
RB RACING 2-1
SE 58MM TB
HPI INJECTORS
WFO LARRY HEADS
COMP 10:2 CCP 190
DIRECT LINK TUNE BY STROKERJLK
SAE128.09/STD131.32 HP  TQ135.89 std 139.31
RC COMPONENTS WHEELS & A/C
VPC 92 CLUTCH
FOSGATE AMP, FOCAL SPEAKERS

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2017, 12:04:29 PM »

This thread is like watching " Harley & The Davidson's" backwards  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: HD struggled in the early years to overcome Indian's dominance, and eventually prospered. Now it looks like it's Indian's turn to play the underdog  :nixweiss: :coolblue: :drink: :drink:  I can't wait for the next episode  :huepfenjump3:

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

mark

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2017, 09:27:36 PM »

Stopped by the Indian dealer today to see what all the fuss is about regarding the new Chieftain Elite.  Regardless of your bike preference, the new Chieftain is a real eye-catching bike. 

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »

Stopped by the Indian dealer today to see what all the fuss is about regarding the new Chieftain Elite.  Regardless of your bike preference, the new Chieftain is a real eye-catching bike.
any pics!! :)

Alex_McB

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO Street Glide 2017 Candy Cobalt & Indigo Ink
    • CVO2: CVO Limited 2016 Palladium Silver & Phantom Blue
    • CVO3: CVO Street Glide 2015 Hard Candy Mercury & Smokey Quartz Flames
New Indian Chieftain Elite vs Street Glide CVO
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2017, 04:20:35 AM »

Even if I still definitely prefer the Street Glide CVO I must admit the new Indian Chieftain Elite is a really nice bike. And the price is not bad at all considering what's included in terms of special painting and accessories.
I've not seen one "live" but just on YouTube: what do You think?
CVO Street Glide 2017 Candy Cobalt Indigo Ink

mark

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2017, 09:49:33 AM »

Pic 1
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:51:19 AM by Mark »

mark

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2017, 09:53:54 AM »

Pic 2 (probably better pics on line)

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2017, 12:27:58 PM »

Sorry, but I think Indian (Polaris) still has A LOT to learn about selling an "elite" bike. For 32 grand you get a painted up bike, better stereo, less of a front fender (when they are famous for the full fender with the Indian head) , same engine as every other Indian on the road and NO TRUNK.

I know some think the full front fender is fugly, but that is the true look of an Indian, like it or not. I personally think it's just a fugly painted-up bike with a better stereo. Those fairings (inside & out) look like an afterthought and not crazy about the bags either. For all the extra money they should at least throw a tune at the engine and include a better exhaust right out of the box at the very least. The fact that they are only producing 150 of these an even less of the J.D bikes doesn't impress me in the least ... both are still fugly in my book.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:24:57 AM by Phantom309 »
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

mark

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2017, 02:13:31 PM »

Sorry, but I think Indian (Polaris) still has A LOT to learn about selling an "elite" bike. For 32 grand you get a painted up bike, better stereo, less of a front fender (when they are famous for the full fender with the Indian head) , same engine as every other Indian on the road and NO TRUNK.

I know some think the full front fender is fugly, but that is the true look of an Indian, like it or not. I personally think it's just a fugly painted-up bike with a better stereo. Those fairings (inside & out) look like an afterthought and not crazy about the bags either. For all the extra money they should at least throw a tune at the engine and include a better exhaust right out of the box at the very least. The fact that they are only producing 150 of these an even less of the J.D bikes doesn't impress me in the least ... both are still fugly in my book.

Producing 350, not 150.  Bike includes upgraded floorboards, passenger floorboards, different wheels, some different badging, etc.  Similar to a CVO.  It has no trunk because it isn't competing with those bikes (no trunk on a CVO SG either). If you've been following the motorcycle industry, you know a factory cannot offer a better tune.  We saw HD get their ass handed to them (wasn't it a 15 million $$$ settlement) for offering devices that circumvent the stock tune.  Same goes for exhaust.  SESG is about $38k.  Elite is $31,500.  That's a $6,500 difference.       
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:15:56 PM by Mark »

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »

A winner in my book. Beats a comparable CVO hands down

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2017, 07:03:27 PM »

Producing 350, not 150.  Bike includes upgraded floorboards, passenger floorboards, different wheels, some different badging, etc.  Similar to a CVO.  It has no trunk because it isn't competing with those bikes (no trunk on a CVO SG either). If you've been following the motorcycle industry, you know a factory cannot offer a better tune.  We saw HD get their ass handed to them (wasn't it a 15 million $$$ settlement) for offering devices that circumvent the stock tune.  Same goes for exhaust.  SESG is about $38k.  Elite is $31,500.  That's a $6,500 difference.     

Yeah, I know I goofed the #s, but still 350 means hardly anyone in the country will have the opportunity to have one. Screw the EPA and all the tree huggers too, there's bigger things polluting the planet than richer running motorcycles. The point I was trying to make is if you're spending that kind of coin, you better have all the bells and whistles ... including a trunk even if it is meant to compete with the street glides, that's just my way of thinking. I personally would never spend that kind of $ for a toy that doesn't come with all the luggage. No secret I'm not exactly the biggest HD fanboy either, but at least with a CVO you get a LITTLE extra oooomph between your legs granted you are paying dearly for it. When I bought this bike I only settled for it because I wanted rid of the Ducati so bad. My heart was set on a new Royal Star Venture back in '13, but they didn't want to trade the Duc for it and HD had no problem taking my $ so here I am. I'm still holding out hope that Yamaha is working on a better fuel injected version of the RSV with at least a cd player instead of cassette this time around. I like my bike, but also tired of all the HD headaches that go with it. I have really tried to like the Indians, but just can't swallow the looks and not so sure if they would ever grow on me. 

I admit the price is more appealing than HD, but certainly not the looks in my book. That's great for those that like them since we all can't like the same thing. Laugh if you must, but that RSV really was/still is my dream bike and I wanted a new one, not used. However, I guess I won't hold my breath for Yamaha either since it's been 4 years now that they stopped producing what I wanted.   
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 22 queries.