Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SAN DIEGO TO GIDDY UP AND BACK HILL COUNTRY TX BOTH WAYS  (Read 1290 times)

slinkcvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2016 Victory Cross Country Ultra
SAN DIEGO TO GIDDY UP AND BACK HILL COUNTRY TX BOTH WAYS
« on: April 04, 2017, 11:14:38 PM »

Departed the San Diego area via 76 E. and back country early Tues 21 March enroute for the Giddy Up Vintage Event in New Braunfels, TX. It was my first trip on the new 2016 RG CVO Ultra and enjoyed a nice calm clear day to El Paso. I say that because I left a day early due to predictions of wind and rain and my friends who left a day later said it was way windy.  I got into El Paso @ 1930, settled in and cocktailed a little.  I woke up way too early on Wednesday; @0400, planned to sleep til 6, LOL. I fidgeted around and left in the dark at @6, nice riding again and stopped at Sierra Blanco for fuel and a Subway Breakfast sandwich; the healthiest cheap breakfast on the road for me.  I proceeded on east, lunch in Orona, TX and then dipped into the Hill Country of TX for an awesome 3 - 4 hours of great country roads.  I got into Bandera, TX before 5 P.M., cheap motel, couple beverages and lots of friendly folks. I got out of the motel at about 10 Thurs, Breakfast at OST in Bandera, ate there before and delicious as always.  Headed over to the Giddy Up event camp in New Braunfels and set up the camp by noonish.  Headed out to see the area; beautiful road along the river and ended up at the Green River Grill (Spelled Gruene); best Redfish I have ever had.  Settled back at the camp early, cocktailed, and rested up.  The better half arrived at the San Antonio Airport Friday afternoon; got out of the hellish traffic that reminded me of Southern CA and eased back into the friendly comfort of the New Braunfels area in time for another Redfish dinner in Gruene.  Gruene HD party and then back to the camp for cocktails.  Saturday up early for a ride along the river and on to Luckenbach before returning to the Giddy Up Show at the Ice House; thousands of people and a great party.  Back to the camp, nice dip in the river to cool off before meeting up with my new generous and awesome friend Tom, a true Texan, meet him two days before and it was genuine.  We joined him and his wonderful group of family and friends for a great evening of BBQ, drinks, and comraderie; an evening to remember.  Up early on Sunday, tear down the tent, load that junk on the bagger, and we are on the road by 0800.  Beautiful crisp Sunday morning riding and on to Boerne, TX for a nice country breakfast before several hours of awesome TX Hill Country Roads Westbound.  We got on the "10" at Sonora, TX and then experienced a "bit" of wind until arriving in Van Horn before dark.  Happy to be off the road, we enjoyed the comfort of the El Capitan hotel and a good night's rest.  Up early and onto Las Cruces before departing the free way just north on the awesome "152" which I haven't rode in 10 years.  This road is a memory maker, switch backs, remote, wild life and ends up 75 miles later in Silver City, NM.  After lunch we continued on through more beautiful roads and arrived in Globe, AZ before dark.  Downtown Globe for the last night; spent some time at the Huddle with lots of friendly folks, drinks, dinner and memories of a great but short one week trip.  Out early the next day and plowed through some solid wind getting back into San Diego.  Already planning the next one; Indiana in the summer and would like to loop through Mackinac Island, Mi on the way back out through MT to home.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:32:58 PM by slinkcvo »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: SAN DIEGO TO GIDDY UP AND BACK HILL COUNTRY TX BOTH WAYS
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 11:22:48 PM »

:worthless: :worthless: :worthless:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

slinkcvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2016 Victory Cross Country Ultra
Re: SAN DIEGO TO GIDDY UP AND BACK HILL COUNTRY TX BOTH WAYS
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 08:34:52 PM »

#2 - El Paso

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.