Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 2000 FLHRC Road King  (Read 1536 times)

wade.berard.3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

2000 FLHRC Road King
« on: April 06, 2017, 11:49:47 PM »

Ready to buy is 70000 Miles alot for the engine /bike is impeccable condition, price of $7,500 a little high but impeccable condition any advice greatly appreciated

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: 2000 FLHRC Road King
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:03:25 AM »

Whether the mileage on the motor is too high depends entirely upon the service performed over the 70,000 miles. Were you given the service records?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:47:04 AM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

wade.berard.3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:30:17 AM »

Scene it briefly going for a test drive Saturday and making the purchase from the condition of the bike and all the accessories I can only hope there's a bunch of Records so what you saying is as long as it was maintained properly, I read something about the Kim issue back in early 2000s with 70000 Miles I'm assuming that was addressed always had Sportsters never had the big V-Twin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

wade.berard.3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 08:37:53 AM »

Talk to text the words don't always come out right that was I read something about the Kim back in the early 2000s was an issue but with all the miles I'm assuming it was corrected

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 09:06:49 AM »

A couple of things to consider. If it has fuel injection, it's the Magnetti-Marelli system. Those are known to develop problems and replacement parts are not easy to find. If you cannot get the service records, a dealer can run the vin and see if any work was done at a dealership. Run a compression test. Check the output of the charging system. Those years were known for eating stators.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 10:10:55 AM »

At that age with 70k I would be looking at all the work that has been done not just engine. The MM system is OK (or is it carbureted?) for an 88 or mild 95" build. Consider at that mileage and age motor may need a top end overhaul including chain tensioners & oil pump minimum, transmission donuts, motor mount, steering head bearings, shocks, primary resealing, trans resealing,  just to name a few. If I was shopping I would look for a 2002 Delphi FLHRC, still affordable, better brakes and injection system is simple but sophisticated enough and parts very readily available.

wade.berard.3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 12:39:28 PM »

Shape shifting gears 2002 Harley Davidson Road King police special 44000 miles fuel injected supposedly better than the 2000 opinions

wade.berard.3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 12:45:13 PM »

I checked back with the 2000 Road King fuel injected with the older fuel injection system no records for the bike whatsoever

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »

I rode a 2000 Marelli Road King for a lot of miles between 2000 and 2004.  It was a great bike.  Some of the service issues mentioned above are generic and not specific to 2000.  Most of these are things you'd likely want to either make sure were done or touch up on your own after acquisition if getting a bike that old anyway.  I still ride a 2000 Road Glide.  Great bike.  Same deal with it. 

The brakes on it compared to the 2002 mentioned previous are actually the same.  The "old" brakes were 99 and prior. 

The major suspension issues from that vintage are all addressable.  The swingarm can be swapped from what came originally to the 02 and up.  Easy swap and it does improve the bike.   You'd be swapping bushings/bearings at the same time so you kill two birds with one stone.

2000 had an air suspension in the front alone with the air shocks in the rear.  It's all crap (and was for many years).  New shocks in the rear and a normal service to the front that updates a bit and that's all gone too.

If that many miles and it's never been touched count on some engine work.  Almost certainly cam bearings and tensioners have been done at least once.  Count on doing them again.  Definitely.  If it's not smoking nor using oil do the top end only if you want to.  If it is using a little oil or blowing smoke either all the time or at start up and acceleration count on a top end job.  That's not a hard thing to do; especially if you like the bike and are satisfied with the price.

If the bike is running well don't sweat the Marelli system.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  If there are driveability issues that tie to the ignition and fuel control system just know there really are effective options that one can do at home in his garage if he wants to.  Don't worry about until the need arises but, if it does, you've got outs.

wade.berard.3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 01:15:04 PM »

Wow that was awesome thank you so much for all that information I'm so torn between the two bikes right now although the 2000s so much more of a bike as far as accessories in books I will post pictures of which one I choose thanks

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 01:25:34 PM »

All good info there, and corrected me on brakes. The larger swing arm is a plus too.

wade.berard.3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 08:12:52 PM »

Okay decision made went with 2002 flhp 41000 miles new brakes new tires all fluids drove off picking it up tomorrow so psyched thanks for the

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 12:49:40 PM »

As was said 2002 better choice. Also I believe the axles changed in 2002 as the 2000 and 2001 are the only two years that were the same

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 03:13:31 PM »

Congrats on the purchase.   The Delphi in this bike is imo superior to the m&m.  This is the same bike year/model I built my hotrod roadking out of.   The only concern I found was in my case was the harness was hacked up pretty good from the popo lights etc being installed.   I replaced the harness and added cruise control.

Again congrats and enjoy.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 04:17:39 PM »

Looking at that last photo, you may want to ask them to change out the engine crash bar. It may be the angle of the photo, but it looks kind of twisted or bent. It looks like the left side, the brake pedal side, is a little higher then the right side, the shifter side. If it truly was a police bike  and used in training and practice, it was no doubt dumped quite often.

I have always said that the 2002  was one of the best bikes ever built. It had the newer Delphi fuel injection system, and the newer swingarm. It also had the Timken bearings in the engine.

Are you getting the windshield too?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 04:24:23 PM »

Okay decision made went with 2002

Congrats!  A retired cop bike may not be as pretty as you described the 2000 to be but the money you've saved in upgrading the suspension, fuel and ignition and other potential desires on the 2000 can now be poured in to dressing the 02.  2002 is a good solid choice.  With the miles described on the 02 you still definitely want to check the cam tensioners though.  If they've not been done yet they could be very close to ruining your hole day (and engine).

Congrats and have fun!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.