Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Psi in tires  (Read 10501 times)

J.D.

Re: Psi in tires
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 09:32:49 AM »

I start with the manual recommendation then adjust up or down based on how the tired wear.  If the tread starts "cupping" go up.  If the center wears unusually high go down.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 09:39:19 AM »

Such a simple subject to be so controversial.  One thing is for sure.....we don't tear the paper the same.  :huepfenlol2:

In my opinion, which means it's not worth anything to anybody except me, I prefer the more firm ride in both air pressure in the tires as well as the shocks for several reasons.  Being a slightly more aggressive rider, it handles better in the twisties....a softer tire will heat up quicker and we all know it gets plenty hot here in California.....a softer tire is harder to control at slow speeds for a heavy bike.

Like I said, JMHO   :nixweiss:

With that said....it's time for me to get on the road.  I've still got a few hundred miles to go before I reach the front door.  And speaking of twisties.....I will take a slight detour.....to hit The Snake.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:40:57 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 12:14:09 PM »

I'm sorry but I don't agree.  I would much rather believe what the tire manufacturer states than what the manufacturer of the vehicle states.  FWIW

Well I respect your opinion and you may have a point in some situations where a Non OEM Tire might be used that incorporates drastically different aspect ratios or compounds, however I stand by my statement if we are talking about OEM Tires.   As Tire Pressure Monitor Systems become more prevalent in the market,   it is even more important.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 04:03:23 PM »

Well I respect your opinion and you may have a point in some situations where a Non OEM Tire might be used that incorporates drastically different aspect ratios or compounds, however I stand by my statement if we are talking about OEM Tires.   As Tire Pressure Monitor Systems become more prevalent in the market,   it is even more important.

I'd not be completely sanguine with the assumptions here.  Tire manufacturers worry about the properties analyses of the tires.  That's it.  Will the tire perform to specs and survive.  Vehicle manufacturers overlay that with ride comfort and a host of other factors.  When Ford / Firestone had their profound issues several years ago a factor was the car manufacturer's lower suggested tire pressure ratings.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 05:29:56 PM »

Don't ever pressure to the max pressure allowed. That pressure rating has nothing to do with road handling or riding.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 05:32:08 PM »

I start with the manual recommendation then adjust up or down based on how the tired wear.  If the tread starts "cupping" go up.  If the center wears unusually high go down.

What about the POS OEM Dunlops that cup AND wear the centers out at the same time? :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

J.D.

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 06:34:22 PM »

Easy.  Don't buy them.  :pepper:

ultrarider123

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 07:37:12 PM »

Use the sidewall ratings of the tire and make sure to use Screamin Eagle brand Harley Air, part #BR549. Specific for the Dunlops OE tires. Use entire can, one for each tire and it automatically sets the correct pressure based on rider age, riding style and gulability... :huepfenjump3: :bananarock: :huepfenlol2:

Sorry, this discussion needed a humor break.. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 04:16:07 PM by Haird »

J.D.

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 07:48:17 PM »

I pickup a couple of can every time I change out the muffler bearings.  :nervous:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 08:09:59 PM »

Use the sidewalk ratings of the tire and make sure to use Screamin Eagle brand Harley Air, part #BR549. Specific for the Dunlops OE tires. Use entire can, one for each tire and it automatically sets the correct pressure based on rider age, riding style and gulability... :huepfenjump3: :bananarock: :huepfenlol2:

Sorry, this discussion needed a humor break.. :2vrolijk_21:

I've actually started using the new BR549-N Screamin' Eagle Nitrogen. It's only $49.95 a can and it only takes two cans to air up a tire. It says right on the can "This is good chit" so it must be good chit.  Harley wouldn't exaggerate.  I especially was impressed by the "it may not be a noble gas but it's from the ass end of a Screamin' Eagle; so that's pretty damned noble."

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 10:34:58 AM »

I'd not be completely sanguine with the assumptions here.  Tire manufacturers worry about the properties analyses of the tires.  That's it.  Will the tire perform to specs and survive.  Vehicle manufacturers overlay that with ride comfort and a host of other factors.  When Ford / Firestone had their profound issues several years ago a factor was the car manufacturer's lower suggested tire pressure ratings.

EXACTLY!

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.