Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zumo 595 drops aux cnx on bike start  (Read 646 times)

Kidd_Funkadelic

Zumo 595 drops aux cnx on bike start
« on: April 10, 2017, 01:37:29 PM »

Does anyone else have a problem w/ Zumo (I have the 595) audio to the bike (non-NIM install, just using the aux jack) stopping?

When I turn the bike on (2012 FLHXSE3) and the GPS powers up, it connects fine and I hear audio from the bike speakers (keypresses / nav directions / pandora / etc) just fine, BUT as soon as I start the bike the GPS loses "sight" of the aux radio connection, and I can't hear audio through the speakers anymore. 

I can see the "state" of whether the AUX connection is properly outputting audio to the bike from the volume page on the GPS - when it's working, I see the main volume slider. When the connection is lost, the slider disappears and a text description takes its place that the unit needs to be plugged into something that can play audio.

Has anyone else run into this? I'm quite frustrated that this doesn't seem to just "work". The best thing initially I was able to do to force the audio to return was long press the power button on the GPS to force it to shut down, and then to re-boot it. That is obviously a huge inconvenience and not really acceptable.

Today I noticed the audio came back after pressing the mute button twice to mute/unmute, but even that is a bit of a pain, and I'm not convinced this will work 100% of the time as thought I had tried that in the past and not seen it work.

EDIT: After a long ride and time to play w/ the GPS today, the mute idea does NOT work, so so far I'm left w/ only a hard reboot as the only workaround. SO FRUSTRATING... (END EDIT)

Also worth noting this is via the rear aux jack that I had Iron Cross install, though I doubt that has anything to do with the behavior. And since powering the HK head unit down and up has no effect, I'm inclined to think the problem is entirely on the GPS side of things.

One other notable behavior - just turning the bike from ON to ACC causes the same thing (GPS no longer sees it's connected to an aux jack), however in this instance it seems to just re-establish itself after a 5-10 second wait. That doesn't seem to happen when it drops from turning the bike over...

Not sure what I can do about it. Thanks for any input.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:21:47 PM by Kidd_Funkadelic »

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Zumo 595 drops aux cnx on bike start
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 04:09:01 PM »

It happens with mine also. It also happened with my 590 so I'm convinced it's a problem with the GPS. Called Garmin about it to no avail. I solved the problem by removing the GPS from the mount until the bike has started. Not the way it should be but it solved the problem. Hoping GArmin will fix it with an update in the future. Call and complain as the more people complain about it the faster they will fix it. I hope!
Ride It Like You Are Retired

Kidd_Funkadelic

Re: Zumo 595 drops aux cnx on bike start
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 06:25:00 PM »

Unfortunately, popping it out of the mount is not too valid of a workaround either for me. Given the price of these Zumos (until now I've always used a cheap nuvi) I put a little pad lock on the release button so you can't just snap it out. (I know this is barely a deterrent but I figure for short stops where I'm parked in public it's better than nothing.)

I'll have to let Garmin know how much this sucks.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.