Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Michelin Commander 2  (Read 8139 times)

SteveVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

Michelin Commander 2
« on: April 12, 2017, 12:09:59 AM »

Ok time to replace the tires on my 2015 SG. Burned through the front (down to the wear bar on right side) and the rear (both sides) is cupped really bad (almost a 1/4 inch).  Only ride solo, and only have 7800 miles on the bike, I am a bit disappointed that I have to replace both, seems a bit early was expecting they should last to about 10K.  Rear cupping may be partially my fault (under inflation), but I think its the blocky stock tread pattern contributing also.

Is everyone one ditching the stock tires for the Mich CDR 2's or just replacing with stock Dunlops
Nothing exceeds like excess!!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Michelin Commander 2
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 12:36:49 AM »

I went 14k on my stock tires. Could have gone another 1000 maybe.  I did watch the pressure all the time. It's easy now on the cvos.  They give you the monitors. . I just got a set of the commander 2s.  So far I love em. Great ride and very smooth. . I think you should try them. Stuart. . Lots of us here I see are switching. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:03:42 AM by cvostu »

05Quadrasteer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2020 Road Glide CVO
    • CVO2: 2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO
    • CVO3: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO (totaled after hitting a deer)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 06:50:31 AM »

I am about to put on my second set of the Dunlop American Elite 2's.  Been getting 20,000 from each set.

How is the riding over there in Weisbaden, I was stationed on Mainz Katel in the late 90's.

Bill
Bill
2023 Road Glide CVO
2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO
2012 Road Glide Custom CVO (totaled after hitting a deer)

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 09:01:25 AM »

I'm running the Michelins now for the first time.  Only about 4k on them but wearing well and ride nice.

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 10:02:00 AM »

Something must seriously be wrong to only get 7800 miles on these tires.  I usually get between 20-24k out of my Dunlops.  And I am sticking with them since I'm on the road so much and all dealers carry them.....

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 10:36:05 AM »

Ditched the stock Dunlops and went to the American Elite, so far very happy. If you go the Michelin route let us know how they work for you.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 10:58:49 AM »

Last CDR 2 lasted 10k (rear), although I check the pressure before each ride, I am a little rough on em as far as hard launches and breaking but no burn outs.  Had the same mileage on the front Dunflop, still had plenty of tread left but was cupping badly.  Swapped both out for CDR 2's; rides so smooth now.  Idk how anybody is getting +20k on any tire, I have never gotten even close to that kind of mileage out of any MC tire.  Must be riding on perfect pavement at low temperatures and keeping the RPM's below 1,500...please tell us the secret!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 11:23:50 AM »

well, I live in la, so the perfect pavement and cool temperatures theory is out.  I just ride normally, don't do hole shots, burnouts, etc.  I ride solo exclusively, and keep my pressure at 40/40.  I don't ride like grandpa, but i'm not a hooligan either.

my stock tires I replaced with the American elites at 20k.  still had good tread left, but was cupped pretty badly.  I've got 10k on this set now, and no sign of cupping, and lots of tread life left.  when these need replacing, I will replace with another set of American elites.  I've not heard good reports on the wet performance of the Michelins.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »

I just switched on the recommendation of my Indy and am very pleased so far with 2K on them.

SteveVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 01:33:02 PM »

So many great rods around Wiesbaden, I live up in the Taunisstein Mtns, the Rhein river is about a 15 minute drive!  Neighbor across the street grew in the small town I live in so he takes on these great rides.  He has a little VStorm so I might be pushing the tires a bit hard trying to keep up in the twisties :oops:

Thanks for the input, will keep everyone posted
Nothing exceeds like excess!!

scp1scp

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 01:35:56 PM »

I put a set of Commander 2's on my FXDWG2 a couple of summers ago and I love them.  Rides like a different bike. 
Good luck with yours.

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 08:46:11 PM »

Been running Commander 2's for 3-4 k miles on my '15 RGU.  Stock front tire cupped at 14 k miles and rear at 16 k and had to be replaced.  Neither tire was worn completely out but close.  So far happy with the Michelin but have not pushed them in the mountain curves since install.  Seems like I feel the tar snakes and grooved pavement a bit more with the Michelins but no instability.  Currently have a bit of vibration in the front so plan to have it rebalanced prior to Eureka Springs trip.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 11:40:23 PM »

A  buddy of mine that I ride with often switched from stock Dunlops to C2's looking for more tread life since we were only getting about 5000 miles on the rear. I was behind him when we were taking one of those 360 entrances aggressively but same as we have done many times when his back end broke loose. As we continued to ride he continued to not get same traction when we pushed it as before (I was running stockers behind him). He swapped back to Dunlops following week. Conditions were dry
Alan

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 10:02:25 AM »

I ran C2s on both my '07 and my '12 - couple sets on each actually.  Reason I switched from stock Lops was because of the cupping on the Lops . . . and the C2s were a bit cheaper as I bought online, removed the wheels myself and took to a indy to install.  And I've run Michelins on all my autos for many years with good result and like the brank.

With all that siad I really could not tell much difference in ride and handling quality . . . but then I don't push the bike all that hard.  However the C2s eventually cupped as bad (well maybe a bit worse) than the stock Lops.  i think it just may be the way it is with these big heavy baggers unfortunately.  May try the E3s when I need new shoes on my '17.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »

I really watch the pressure.  36 up front. 40 rear. .  I have never had any tires cup on me at any time.  I find it really easy now to keep an eye on it with the sensors in the wheels and looking at the odometer settings. . I really like the way the commander 2s are riding.  And I'll keep checking the pressure. . Stuart.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.