Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Michelin Commander 2  (Read 8132 times)

SteveVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

Michelin Commander 2
« on: April 12, 2017, 12:09:59 AM »

Ok time to replace the tires on my 2015 SG. Burned through the front (down to the wear bar on right side) and the rear (both sides) is cupped really bad (almost a 1/4 inch).  Only ride solo, and only have 7800 miles on the bike, I am a bit disappointed that I have to replace both, seems a bit early was expecting they should last to about 10K.  Rear cupping may be partially my fault (under inflation), but I think its the blocky stock tread pattern contributing also.

Is everyone one ditching the stock tires for the Mich CDR 2's or just replacing with stock Dunlops
Nothing exceeds like excess!!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Michelin Commander 2
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 12:36:49 AM »

I went 14k on my stock tires. Could have gone another 1000 maybe.  I did watch the pressure all the time. It's easy now on the cvos.  They give you the monitors. . I just got a set of the commander 2s.  So far I love em. Great ride and very smooth. . I think you should try them. Stuart. . Lots of us here I see are switching. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:03:42 AM by cvostu »

05Quadrasteer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2020 Road Glide CVO
    • CVO2: 2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO
    • CVO3: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO (totaled after hitting a deer)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 06:50:31 AM »

I am about to put on my second set of the Dunlop American Elite 2's.  Been getting 20,000 from each set.

How is the riding over there in Weisbaden, I was stationed on Mainz Katel in the late 90's.

Bill
Bill
2023 Road Glide CVO
2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO
2012 Road Glide Custom CVO (totaled after hitting a deer)

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 09:01:25 AM »

I'm running the Michelins now for the first time.  Only about 4k on them but wearing well and ride nice.

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 10:02:00 AM »

Something must seriously be wrong to only get 7800 miles on these tires.  I usually get between 20-24k out of my Dunlops.  And I am sticking with them since I'm on the road so much and all dealers carry them.....

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 10:36:05 AM »

Ditched the stock Dunlops and went to the American Elite, so far very happy. If you go the Michelin route let us know how they work for you.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 10:58:49 AM »

Last CDR 2 lasted 10k (rear), although I check the pressure before each ride, I am a little rough on em as far as hard launches and breaking but no burn outs.  Had the same mileage on the front Dunflop, still had plenty of tread left but was cupping badly.  Swapped both out for CDR 2's; rides so smooth now.  Idk how anybody is getting +20k on any tire, I have never gotten even close to that kind of mileage out of any MC tire.  Must be riding on perfect pavement at low temperatures and keeping the RPM's below 1,500...please tell us the secret!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 11:23:50 AM »

well, I live in la, so the perfect pavement and cool temperatures theory is out.  I just ride normally, don't do hole shots, burnouts, etc.  I ride solo exclusively, and keep my pressure at 40/40.  I don't ride like grandpa, but i'm not a hooligan either.

my stock tires I replaced with the American elites at 20k.  still had good tread left, but was cupped pretty badly.  I've got 10k on this set now, and no sign of cupping, and lots of tread life left.  when these need replacing, I will replace with another set of American elites.  I've not heard good reports on the wet performance of the Michelins.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »

I just switched on the recommendation of my Indy and am very pleased so far with 2K on them.

SteveVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 01:33:02 PM »

So many great rods around Wiesbaden, I live up in the Taunisstein Mtns, the Rhein river is about a 15 minute drive!  Neighbor across the street grew in the small town I live in so he takes on these great rides.  He has a little VStorm so I might be pushing the tires a bit hard trying to keep up in the twisties :oops:

Thanks for the input, will keep everyone posted

scp1scp

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 01:35:56 PM »

I put a set of Commander 2's on my FXDWG2 a couple of summers ago and I love them.  Rides like a different bike. 
Good luck with yours.

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 08:46:11 PM »

Been running Commander 2's for 3-4 k miles on my '15 RGU.  Stock front tire cupped at 14 k miles and rear at 16 k and had to be replaced.  Neither tire was worn completely out but close.  So far happy with the Michelin but have not pushed them in the mountain curves since install.  Seems like I feel the tar snakes and grooved pavement a bit more with the Michelins but no instability.  Currently have a bit of vibration in the front so plan to have it rebalanced prior to Eureka Springs trip.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 11:40:23 PM »

A  buddy of mine that I ride with often switched from stock Dunlops to C2's looking for more tread life since we were only getting about 5000 miles on the rear. I was behind him when we were taking one of those 360 entrances aggressively but same as we have done many times when his back end broke loose. As we continued to ride he continued to not get same traction when we pushed it as before (I was running stockers behind him). He swapped back to Dunlops following week. Conditions were dry
Alan

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 10:02:25 AM »

I ran C2s on both my '07 and my '12 - couple sets on each actually.  Reason I switched from stock Lops was because of the cupping on the Lops . . . and the C2s were a bit cheaper as I bought online, removed the wheels myself and took to a indy to install.  And I've run Michelins on all my autos for many years with good result and like the brank.

With all that siad I really could not tell much difference in ride and handling quality . . . but then I don't push the bike all that hard.  However the C2s eventually cupped as bad (well maybe a bit worse) than the stock Lops.  i think it just may be the way it is with these big heavy baggers unfortunately.  May try the E3s when I need new shoes on my '17.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »

I really watch the pressure.  36 up front. 40 rear. .  I have never had any tires cup on me at any time.  I find it really easy now to keep an eye on it with the sensors in the wheels and looking at the odometer settings. . I really like the way the commander 2s are riding.  And I'll keep checking the pressure. . Stuart.

SteveVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 11:20:42 PM »

15's unfortunately do not have the TPMS :(  I was checking every 2 Wks but looks like I am going to have to do it every pre-ride, which I really should be doing anyway.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 03:37:38 AM »

is there anyone using nitrogen in their tires?  I was told it's a good idea. . . Stuart.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 10:02:35 AM »

I use 78% nitrogen.   :P

no where to get it around here, and most 'experts' are of the opinion that it isn't really needed, esp. if you have to pay. 

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 10:12:01 AM »

Just a theory but I looked back over this post and it seems to be that all the RG guys are the ones getting 16k-24k out of their tires but have not seen a post from a batwing rider that is getting that kind of mileage...so is there something about the RG's that makes the tires last longer...hmmmm

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 06:47:38 PM »

It's that magical front end.  ::)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 11:06:21 PM »

Just a theory but I looked back over this post and it seems to be that all the RG guys are the ones getting 16k-24k out of their tires but have not seen a post from a batwing rider that is getting that kind of mileage...so is there something about the RG's that makes the tires last longer...hmmmm
I have both, same mileage..
Alan

SteveVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 01:57:46 AM »

Great catch on the RG vs Bat, would be interesting to see if we had a large number of samples for comparison.

Glock

• Junior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »

Replaced my stock dunlops at 22K with Metzlers 888.  I now have the bike in for the 30K service and the tires need to be replaced.  I run solo and always check the tire pressure so I was a little disappointed in the mileage.  I do ride aggressively so I am sure that attributed to the reduced mileage :P
The tires gripped exceptionally well on dry pavement, but totally sucked in the rain, as the bike's ass end was all over the place.
Going to replace them with the Michelin's so we will see how it goes..At the end of the day tires are a personal choice so good luck in yours..
Glock

FXD_TG

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 08:32:17 PM »

Replaced my stock dunlops at 22K with Metzlers 888.

I've got about 10k on the Dunlops and they're cupped badly; same as all of the previous Dunlops on the FLHRSE5.  Admittedly, I'm hard on tires and don't mind getting 10k except when the last 1k - 2k is plagued by the sound and feel of a cupped tire.

Thought about the Michelins as I run Pilot Sports on my R1100S and they are really a great handling tire in all weather conditions. But, 5k is even a stretch on the Pilots + sportbike.

Anyway, I've also been using the Metzler 880's on my Wide Glide and really thought it was a good tire. Mileage wasn't great but we put most of the miles on riding two up with luggage.

So, faced with the decision to fit the Michelin Commander II's and the Metzler 888's, I went with the Metzlers.  If those wear-out in less than 10k or exhibit crappy wet road handling I'll give the Michelin's a try next.

jplut

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 09:41:43 PM »

I've got just shy of 12k on my stock tires, the fronts are just starting to sing a little so I think I'll need at set this year.

Does Michelin make a Commander 2 figment for a 15 CVO SG?  I thought I was gonna either need another set of stock or American Elites.

EDIT: Nevermind, just checked Jake Wilson and they do!  That's great news, I did Commander IIs on my 2012 and really loved them. I will be trying those when these are done this summer.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:46:36 PM by jplut »

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 12:27:45 PM »

Doing some research I was looking at the Michelin website. The "Highly Recommended" tire for my bike is the Scorcher 31, I had never heard of that model before. Anyone running that one? I'm not as concerned about how many miles I get as I am with how well a tire holds the road but don't want to be bothered with changing tires every season either.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 06:41:04 PM »

Doing some research I was looking at the Michelin website. The "Highly Recommended" tire for my bike is the Scorcher 31, I had never heard of that model before. Anyone running that one? I'm not as concerned about how many miles I get as I am with how well a tire holds the road but don't want to be bothered with changing tires every season either.
I'd heard the Michelin Scorcher model was spec'd on Sportster's and Dyna's .......and while Michelin says the Scorcher was recently approved for the big touring bikes .......be sure and check that the "load rating" is equal to the stock tires. I couldn't readily find that information on Michelin's website and gave up. Don't care for the tread pattern anyway ......looks like it might be noisy ???! I switched to the American Elite's 4k miles ago and still am pleased with my choice.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 06:51:12 PM »

I wish there was something. On my RG w/factory shoes I never got more than 10 or 12k out of them and the worst one for mileage the rear one was shot at 4k. And no it wasn't holeshots that did it just 2 up road trippin.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »

15's unfortunately do not have the TPMS :(  I was checking every 2 Wks but looks like I am going to have to do it every pre-ride, which I really should be doing anyway.
x2 SteveVO. Exploring an upgrade for my 2015 FLTRUSE to have the TPMS feature proved to be way too costly. Tried and am quite pleased with the FOBO Tire system which transmits the tire pressure via Bluetooth to your smartphone ........check it out:
https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOTIRE
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 01:22:53 AM »

x2 SteveVO. Exploring an upgrade for my 2015 FLTRUSE to have the TPMS feature proved to be way too costly. Tried and am quite pleased with the FOBO Tire system which transmits the tire pressure via Bluetooth to your smartphone ........check it out:
https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOTIRE
I have used the Fobo system on my Roadglide since it first became available and it has never let me down. Though the TPMS on my 17 is slick I do mis being able to just walk by my bike any time when i have it all covered up and I am not going to ride it and just look at my phone and see the pressures. Even considered putting a Fobo on my 17 but I get that would be ridiculous even for me..
Alan

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 01:06:37 PM »

I have used the Fobo system on my Roadglide since it first became available and it has never let me down. Though the TPMS on my 17 is slick I do mis being able to just walk by my bike any time when i have it all covered up and I am not going to ride it and just look at my phone and see the pressures. Even considered putting a Fobo on my 17 but I get that would be ridiculous even for me..

Does the phone app limit the number of transmitters it will monitor in a single display?  Was wondering if two bikes (or even two bikes and a trailer) could all be quickly reviewed in the shop on one screen? 

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 01:50:22 PM »

Does the phone app limit the number of transmitters it will monitor in a single display?  Was wondering if two bikes (or even two bikes and a trailer) could all be quickly reviewed in the shop on one screen?
Good question ......which may best be answered by contacting the FOBO folks. They allude to monitoring up to 19 wheels/transmitters using a single app .......and also have an FAQ section on their website :P.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »

I was surfing the FOBO site and see there is a FOBO Bike. Is that the one you are using? Do you use the "T-valves"? Although the T-valve seems like a good idea, I wonder just how unsightly it is, and if it has any affect on tire balance?

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Glock

• Junior CVO Member
    • GA

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 06:01:43 PM »

Rode back from my indy's abot 65 miles.  Some interstate some twisties, some new pavement with twisties.  Enough to get the glaze off.  Felt pretty good, tomorrow will be the real test as it will be through some N. GA mountain roads hammering on the bike..
Will update after 2-300 mile ride tomorrow...
Glock

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 11:35:54 PM »

I was surfing the FOBO site and see there is a FOBO Bike. Is that the one you are using? Do you use the "T-valves"? Although the T-valve seems like a good idea, I wonder just how unsightly it is, and if it has any affect on tire balance?

Mark
Yes, that is it. I do use the t valve on the rear tire and think I will also put one on the front on my next tire change which looks like that will be soon. I only originally put on rear because I was worried about how it looked but its not bad. It is super convenient to have that t valve. Here is their website:
https://my-fobo.com/product/fobobike
Alan

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 12:36:38 AM »

Yes, that is it. I do use the t valve on the rear tire and think I will also put one on the front on my next tire change which looks like that will be soon. I only originally put on rear because I was worried about how it looked but its not bad. It is super convenient to have that t valve. Here is their website:
https://my-fobo.com/product/fobobike

Alan,

Can you post a pic of what it looks like, T valve and all.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 12:52:08 AM »

Alan,

Mark
Of course Mark, bike in the shop but I will take a pic when I pick it up. Might not be until next weekend
Alan

Glock

• Junior CVO Member
    • GA

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »

Old school

Glock

• Junior CVO Member
    • GA

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 06:12:48 PM »

Rode 300 miles today on the new tires.. Temp when I left this am was 67*, rose to 90*.  Tires handled exceptionally well with no wandering when pushed into corners.  Flowed right over the tire snakes with no wobble.  Tracked exceptionally well when accelerating making a right/left hand turn.
I don't think you can go wrong with these if you choose to do so.  The next test will be how they handle in the rain..
Glock

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 10:35:56 PM »

so, couple of questions on the fobo.  can I buy one car set and use two on one bike, and two on another?  and I assume that if I don't want to use it on either bike, I could just buy one set of fobo bike and use it on a trailer instead?

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »

I'm looking for long term reviews for the michelin tires, have always used them on my trucks with great experiences. I'm running down to 4/32 on the rear AE after 8500mi and getting slight cupping, I never got more than 6k out of the original HD-407 180/55-18.

I use to replace front tire every other rear tire mounted but now I replace them as a set. I can justify it by owning a tire machine and slave labor. I'm real happy with the AE's right now.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2017, 09:19:49 AM »

I've been running Michelin for several years now. No complaints at all. They quickly became my preference. My only complaint would have nothing to do with their use on a heavy Touring bike. It would only be in that since I mount my own they'very got a really stiff sidewall and sometimes make me say a few extra bad words during the installation.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2017, 10:15:56 AM »

I'm looking for long term reviews for the michelin tires, have always used them on my trucks with great experiences. I'm running down to 4/32 on the rear AE after 8500mi and getting slight cupping, I never got more than 6k out of the original HD-407 180/55-18.

I use to replace front tire every other rear tire mounted but now I replace them as a set. I can justify it by owning a tire machine and slave labor. I'm real happy with the AE's right now.

TN
My experience is like Twolane's - tires ride and handle well - dry or wet.  Not ridden with the Dunlop AE but I switched to the Michs several years ago on my '07 and my '12 due to the severe cupping on the stock Lops.  Found that the Michs cupped on me also but didn't make note of mileage on either brand when the cupping started.  I've resigned myself to the fact that on these big heavy touring bikes riding two-up with cargo the rear tire is going to cup - just no way around it in my experience.  I've heard that pulling a trailer can also impact the tendency for the rear tire to cup but I don't know if that is fact or supposition.  Since I've sold both these bikes I lost my receipts but I think the Michs lasted a bit longer than the stock Lops. 
When I need new tires on my new '17 I'll probably go with the Michs.

Like Twolane said the sidewalls are stiff.  My local dealer couldn't get the tire bead seated on the rim of my first rear tire and had to send the wheel to a tire shop which had a higher volume air compressor that could really blast a large amount of air quickly.  All the other tires were mounted by an indy tire company whose owners are riders and specialize in selling and mounting motorcycle tires.  Never any problem for them.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:18:27 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

harleyrules

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 SE Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 Low Rider S
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2017, 01:21:31 PM »

I have been using the Commander 2 since I had my 2009 Ultra and on every bike since. I get almost double the mileage compared to the stock Dunlops. They handle great in all weather conditions. Just keep your tires inflated properly and ride on.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2017, 03:36:38 PM »

Alan,

Mark
Here you are Mark ..........and they don't affect the balance significantly as the sending units are very light.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2017, 11:21:04 PM »

Here you are Mark ..........and they don't affect the balance significantly as the sending units are very light.
Yep, mine looks exactly the same.
Alan

hskr24

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2017, 01:18:43 PM »

My GOD Trigger-man, what do you use on your rims? Mine haven't looked that shiny since the day I rolled out of the dealership. LOL.

hskr24

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2017, 01:34:11 PM »

At the risk of getting flogged by the "tire experts", I've found that running a little higher PSI has prevented any of the cupping issues some of y'all have mentioned. I run 40 up front, and 41 in the rear. I still get even wear, great traction in all weather, (I ride year round, unless there's snow or ice on the ground) and I just changed out the original set with just over 20K on them. My front tire probably still had another 5-10K left, but like some of you, I chose to just change both. Last CVO I had, after the original set of Dunlops wore out, I replaced with the Dunlop AEs and loved them. I just put another set of those on this as well. Couple of guys I ride with swear by the Commander2s, but I seem to out perform them in the twisties. I don't ride softly either. I ride hard in the corners, make jack-rabbit starts and am usually hard on the brakes as well. I keep both saddlebags and usually my tourpack loaded up and ride 2 up occasionally when it's so cold the old lady won't ride hers. I have no issues with the Dunlops. I AM interested in those FOBO monitors though. I check my air pressure every Saturday regardless if I'm riding or not. This would be nice to just walk by it and see what the PSI is. I may even break down and get the OL a set for her bike.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »

My GOD Trigger-man, what do you use on your rims? Mine haven't looked that shiny since the day I rolled out of the dealership. LOL.
The wheels didn't look so good after a 4 week cross-country road trip which included several rain storms ....but cleaned up nicely using MAAS Metal Polish. To keep them looking good there are any number of solutions out there hskr24 ..........but all require routine attention ;D. Bugslide works well for me to routinely clean and protect :2vrolijk_21: I now use it for the entire bike.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2017, 08:32:47 PM »

Just installed a set of Michelin Commander II. This is the third bike I've put them one and every time, it feels like a new bike.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:57:49 PM by RoadTrip »
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Glock

• Junior CVO Member
    • GA

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2017, 11:27:49 AM »

Headed up to Cherokee,NC Friday then back on Monday which calls for 80% chance of rain.  Guess I'll know how they handle in the wet..
Until then...
Glock

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »

The wheels didn't look so good after a 4 week cross-country road trip which included several rain storms ....but cleaned up nicely using MAAS Metal Polish. To keep them looking good there are any number of solutions out there hskr24 ..........but all require routine attention ;D. Bugslide works well for me to routinely clean and protect :2vrolijk_21: I now use it for the entire bike.

Yep, The MAAS is the Deal :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: Easiest to use metal polish ever... Over the years I've used them all from Old #7, SimiChrome, Brasso,,,

CIIs on '05 SEEG;
'Have >10k on them, still look pretty new, wearing perfectly, thinking I will get much more mileage out of CIIs than the Stock Dunlops (usually 11k Rear,,, 2 Rears to 1 Front, appears that the CIIs are wearing more evenly F&R and will replace as a set) The CIIs improved the Handling of the '05 immensely, easier turn in, more nimble...

CIIs on the '09 SERG
'Have 3,500 on the CIIs so far,,, No signs of cupping yet :nervous: (main complaint with OE!), was surprised that the difference in handling from the Dunlops to CIIs  was nonexistent compared to the '05  :nixweiss: Feels like the 18s on the '09 are more rounded, whereas the 16s on the '05 have more of a "V" shape... 'Got around 17k out of the last set of Lops...  $345. to the door price matched from Revzilla...

Keeping a # or so more than factory recommended pressures, the CIIs ride smooth, are predictable, and exhibit no ill traits... Really like the Handling improvement on the '05...

I'm not very petite and 'most always totin' "The Ball & Chain"... Live in FL with 'Sport Touring" pretty much all over...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:58:08 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

hskr24

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2017, 04:04:56 PM »

I'll have to look into the MAAS. I HAVE found that I really like the Bugslide on the rest of the bike though. Hell, I use it religiously on my windshield. (Bugshield) LOL

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »

SteVO, what are your roads made from?  In NW Canada and Alaska they use granite in the asphalt. And those sharp edges tear up tires pretty bad.  A lot of blacktop in the midwest uses limestone which is softer and I think that may be why we get more miles/tire.  Concrete road help too.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2017, 09:00:42 AM »

Just ordered some MAAS polish.  Looking for something to use on the Chrome guards on my Featherlite trailer, as they have oxidized and turned a dirty gray. I'll report back on how it works.  Rims on my bike would be an added bonus.  Looking forward to getting it.  Sorry to sidetrack the thread.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:36:19 AM by Indenial »
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

jpswino

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 Ultra Violet Street Glide with Lava Flames
    • CVO2: Backyard Choppers
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2017, 10:53:46 PM »

Well for what it's worth, my 2015 batwing SG has 18k on original tires with tread still. I don't do burnouts but I do ride pretty aggressively, at times pretty high rates of speed as well. And if anyone thinks they have chitty roads.....well now....come to Michigan my friend. I will show you chitty roads! Normal tire pressure. Light duty two up. Mostly solo throttle jockey kind of riding. But I do ride on a still rear suspension setting if that matters. I'm about 250 pound rider.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2017, 11:32:09 AM »

Well for what it's worth, my 2015 batwing SG has 18k on original tires with tread still. I don't do burnouts but I do ride pretty aggressively, at times pretty high rates of speed as well. And if anyone thinks they have chitty roads.....well now....come to Michigan my friend. I will show you chitty roads! Normal tire pressure. Light duty two up. Mostly solo throttle jockey kind of riding. But I do ride on a still rear suspension setting if that matters. I'm about 250 pound rider.
What about cupping JP? The stock Dunlops are well known to cup ........particularly the rear tire. Although you say "with tread still" ......may I assume there's not much left and that you've worn past the "wear bars"?
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2017, 01:12:31 AM »

Well I am going g over to the darkside here and putting on theses Commander 2's. I have posted up here that I rode my buddies bike with C2's and it got squirly on me but my tech talked me into them today as I need tires. When I told him my story about my buddies bike he asked if tires were warmed up well and to be fair they were not. He said the C2's do not grip right until completely warm but grip better than stockers after. I am rough on tires always needing rears around 5000 miles but this time I made it to 7000 (new bike) but front tire is starting to cup and it was perfect timing to talk me into trying something new.
Alan

michaelokielee@yahoo.com

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE / Traded
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2017, 09:46:44 AM »

I put the Michelin Commander 2 on my bike 2 weeks ago after a trip up the the Dragons Tail.  I will never go back to Dunlops, I LOVE the Michelins!! :orange:

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »

Got a set of C2s on order...will be here for my next days off. Back sticker has been howling for the last 8,000 km,
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 21 queries.