Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: No fuel/voltage gauge, no idiot lights tach or speedo  (Read 6975 times)

ultrarider123

No fuel/voltage gauge, no idiot lights tach or speedo
« on: April 12, 2017, 12:24:53 PM »

I'm spit-balling here knowing I'm probably going to take Beauregard into the dealer Saturday morning but I also like to troubleshoot my own issues in the garage just in case they occur out in the boonies.  This morning I hoped to ride into work.  Hit the power switch and while everything came on including the normal start-up procedure, I had no fuel or volt gauge and no idiot lights on my speedo/tach pod and no lights or tach operation.  It started fine along with the radio operations.

Went home at lunch to check all the fuses and all the connections I could without removing the faring....no issues.  All the fuses tested good and the fuse slots looked fine (no corrosion).  I contacted OBB since we have the same bike but he had not had that issue (thanks for the quick reply, OBB). 

Anyone else had this issue?  It's still under warranty but, again, if I can learn from others if they've had this issue AND can repair it at home, I save the trip to the dealer and helps me with issues if this happens out in middle-of-nowhere, TN.  Obviously if it's more than a fuse and/or connection, I would still drag it to the dealer for warranty repairs along with getting the issue in the HD database.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:00:05 PM by Haird »

05Quadrasteer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2020 Road Glide CVO
    • CVO2: 2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO
    • CVO3: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO (totaled after hitting a deer)
Re: No fuel/voltage gauge, no idiot lights tach or speedo
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 02:02:06 PM »

I had this happen to me once as well.  By the time I got to a dealership 3 days later all was working well.

According to the dealership and some posts I had found elsewhere some of the clusters just go bad, some go bad after a heavy rain or washing.

Bill
Bill
2023 Road Glide CVO
2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO
2012 Road Glide Custom CVO (totaled after hitting a deer)

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 02:27:23 PM »

I had this happen to me once as well.  By the time I got to a dealership 3 days later all was working well.

According to the dealership and some posts I had found elsewhere some of the clusters just go bad, some go bad after a heavy rain or washing.

Bill

Thanks Bill. 
Yep, I did clean ol' Beau up Saturday week ago for her normal Spring cleaning but nothing was done this time that had not been done in previous thorough cleanings.  They were working when I pulled it back into the garage so if the cluster went bad, it was after the fact (maybe water left that I didn't blow/wipe off?).  Anyway, thanks for the reply.  It's always good to know the MoCo has good part suppliers where everything is water tight and will hold up to low pressure wash water as well as heavy, soaking cats-and-dogs rain events..... ::)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:29:05 PM by Haird »

05Quadrasteer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2020 Road Glide CVO
    • CVO2: 2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO
    • CVO3: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO (totaled after hitting a deer)
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »

I fully understand, if I recall correctly when mine acted up the one time it was a couple days after having been through a big rain storm.  But it has worked fine since that one hiccup.

Good news is if I read your post correctly you are still under warranty so you can get it fixed for free.

I know when I was discussing it with the dealership before mine started to work I had told them I was going to let them diag it.  If it turned out to be the cluster hook it back up until they got the new one in so I could keep riding the bike.  Wasn't about to leave it there for who knew how long before the cluster would arrive.  The bike still run fine, just could tell what speed you were going.

Bill
Bill
2023 Road Glide CVO
2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO
2012 Road Glide Custom CVO (totaled after hitting a deer)

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:49:17 PM »

Rode it to church tonight. Ran fine but still no gauges. I used the nav for speed so as not to get a ticket on top of this. Weird not having a Speedo and while the turn signals work, the dash indicators don't.
Taking her to the dealer I guess.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 04:03:22 AM »

A friend has a 2016 Road Glide Ultra (none CVO) same problem last summer, also after a wash. First visit dealer replaces gauges, second visit (same issue) they replaced main wiring harness as per the factory. They said some 15 and 16 Road Glides were affected. I have extended warranty but I really hope I don't experience this issue; don't want dealer ripping entire bike apart. I hope you issue stays minor.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 07:13:47 AM »

A friend has a 2016 Road Glide Ultra (none CVO) same problem last summer, also after a wash. First visit dealer replaces gauges, second visit (same issue) they replaced main wiring harness as per the factory. They said some 15 and 16 Road Glides were affected. I have extended warranty but I really hope I don't experience this issue; don't want dealer ripping entire bike apart. I hope you issue stays minor.

Very good information....thank ya, sir.

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 07:34:31 AM »

Beauregard is at the dealer as of yesterday afternoon.  I'm interested in what they find....and will post an update when fixed.

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 06:54:51 AM »

Update:  The gauge cluster on the handlebars is bad.  Looking at the part number for replacing and the MoCo is already on revision "C" (third change) on this cluster since introduced in 2015.  This cluster also controls/feeds the fuel and voltage gauges in the upper part of the faring which is why they aren't working.  The cruise control won't work because it's tied to the same cluster due to the operational lighting in that cluster.  The gauge package should be in today.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 07:25:17 AM »

Glad to hear new gauges will fix it.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »

Oh boy. Glad it wasn't a pain but not having the bike for a week would suck. Mine was down for two weeks last summer for the water pump.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 06:22:58 PM »

Glad the dealer is handling it quickly.   Do you think the washing made it go out (water leak) or something else?

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 08:41:44 PM »

Not sure but from some discussion with the service manager (friend of mine), sounds like a moisture issue with the first, second and third design. Revision "C" is supposedly fixed. Time will tell

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 09:13:05 AM »

Still at the shop.  The MoCo has not produced a replacement as of yet...13 days and counting for a warranty repair.... ???

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 12:04:14 PM »

Not sure but from some discussion with the service manager (friend of mine), sounds like a moisture issue with the first, second and third design. Revision "C" is supposedly fixed. Time will tell

Perhaps it's time to fire the engineer responsible for this fairly simple system and find someone who understands you can't use automotive solutions for things like driver/rider controls and gauges on a motorcycle.  Cars have controls and gauges that are inside an enclosed and hopefully weather tight compartment, whereas bikes of course have all that stuff exposed to the elements.  The reason I included controls in this post is that they also had a multitude of moisture related issues with the handlebar control switch packs on the Rushed More bikes that resulted in multiple revisions.  Any time it takes three or more tries to fix a simple moisture issue, you know you have the wrong person or persons assigned to the task.  It is NOT rocket science.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.