Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crankshaft run-out  (Read 1154 times)

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
Crankshaft run-out
« on: April 16, 2017, 04:23:21 PM »

Let me first state that I am a pretty decent mechanic want to comes to working on my vehicles. I was thinking of changing out my cams and had a question in regards to crankshaft "run out".  I have a 2014 limited and was wondering if the issue is still an ongoing problem or it has it been pretty much solved?  I would hate to open a "can worms" that I don't need to address so any input would be greatly appreciated.

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Crankshaft run-out
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 06:15:13 PM »

No,HD hasnt fixed the reason F/W move so much on the later twin cam models,the real concern is with gear drive cams though,chain drive gives a bit of leeway, but we recommend they need attention at anything over. 004 (HD's spec of. 012 is a joke)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 08:47:33 AM »

As Kirby noted, gear drive cams are definitely not recommended on a stock Harley crank (flywheel assembly).  While chain drives are a little more forgiving when it comes to cam drives, excessive runout of the pinion shaft also creates another even more important issue, and that is premature and abnormal oil pump wear.  If you open up the cam chest you really should take the time to measure the pinion shaft runout.  Yes, it is kind of like opening up a can of worms or Pandora's box, but it's better to know for sure than to just ride around wondering.

Harley oil pumps are made with excessive clearance to help them survive (for awhile anyway) excessive crank runout.  Unfortunately that is one of the factors that leads to low efficency and low pressure at idle.  One aftermarket oil pump supplier used to have a warning in the literature for their higher output pumps that basically said installation in a bike with more than .002" runout would void any warranty and was not recommended.  I'm not sure if such warnings are still used, but this does illustrate the point I'm making.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:58:58 AM »

If you have an extra $100 bucks buy a feuling tool. Easy to use.

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.