Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quiet at Last  (Read 1460 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Quiet at Last
« on: April 19, 2017, 02:10:46 AM »

Hi Guys, this is a  follow up to my post from last Feb 1, 2016. My  thread was "How many 110s are untouched at 25K miles or more". Well I finally took my bike in and had the rocker lockers installed. Also had new cam bearings and adjustable push rods and new lifters installed. I had my mechanic check for side to side play on rocker arms. Nothing out of the ordinary was noted in cam chest or rocker arms. The great news I want to spread is that the rocker lockers eliminated that awful valve train noise I was getting between 2800 and 3200 RPM. My bike now sounds like it should. I am very stoked about this situation and I wish I would have done it when I first found out about Locker Rockers. Also my mechanic who runs at Bonneville every year was impressed by the rocker lockers. Maybe some of the noise reduction could be attributed to the new lifters. (my original ones bled down a time or two when the bike was new) I don't have many miles on it for an 09 (just over 24K because of back surgery in 2013) but now when I am cruising thru a nice windy road in Zion Park or wherever I won't  be subject to the excessive valve train noise.  Hoping to make it to the top of Pikes Peak this year. Happy Riding CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Quiet at Last
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 06:24:23 AM »

rocker lockers are a neat product,but valve train noise is caused by multiple reasons.and the RLers will only quite noise from the rocker shafts hitting the bolts.they are inexpensive enough,so try them when chasing noises,but be prepared to look elseware too (like quality lifters & adjustable p/rods)

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »

This thread reminds of a time when driving home last spring.
 I started to hear some rattling so I turned down the radio in my truck and looked at my oil pressure. Looked ok. But the noise became louder.
At a stop light I shut the engine off. The noise was still there. I looked in my mirrors and saw a bike about 2 cars back.
After he passed me it took about a 50 foot distance before I heard his pipes. That guy had a bike that needed attention.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 05:53:26 PM »

Why not just put them in if the top is apart anyway?

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 06:13:48 PM »

Hi Guys, this is a  follow up to my post from last Feb 1, 2016. My  thread was "How many 110s are untouched at 25K miles or more". Well I finally took my bike in and had the rocker lockers installed. Also had new cam bearings and adjustable push rods and new lifters installed. I had my mechanic check for side to side play on rocker arms. Nothing out of the ordinary was noted in cam chest or rocker arms. The great news I want to spread is that the rocker lockers eliminated that awful valve train noise I was getting between 2800 and 3200 RPM. My bike now sounds like it should. I am very stoked about this situation and I wish I would have done it when I first found out about Locker Rockers. Also my mechanic who runs at Bonneville every year was impressed by the rocker lockers. Maybe some of the noise reduction could be attributed to the new lifters. (my original ones bled down a time or two when the bike was new) I don't have many miles on it for an 09 (just over 24K because of back surgery in 2013) but now when I am cruising thru a nice windy road in Zion Park or wherever I won't  be subject to the excessive valve train noise.  Hoping to make it to the top of Pikes Peak this year. Happy Riding CAHDBIKER
X2 :2vrolijk_21:! Glad you're so pleased with the result. My 2011 FLTRUSE was afflicted with that valve train noise but I was clueless what to do about it. Traded it in for a 2015 FLTRUSE and while I was pleased the valve train noise was significantly less I still wasn't happy about it. After reading a number of posts on this forum relating to this subject and 110 lifter failures, I installed both Rockouts and S&S Premium Lifters and was amazed at the difference. Now my 110 is almost as quiet as the new M8 ;D! As to Pike's Peak, don't hope for it CAHDBIKER, make it happen :2vrolijk_21:
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.