Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trip route  (Read 952 times)

ultrascott

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

trip route
« on: April 23, 2017, 05:02:28 PM »

what is everything using for directions on a trip? I have tried using the Harley trip planner but it won't let me plan over 20 stops or waypoints that they call them and won't let me take a ferry ride.i'd like to use my navigation on my cvo if I can.thanks in advance

luca65

• CVO1: '16 FLHXSE
    • My longer trips with the Harley
Re: trip route
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »

I use tyre - http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/
I'm happy with it. Free, easy planning, no limitation of waypoints and easy export as gpx-file to your USB stick.
One life, live it

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:30:06 AM »

I switched from the HD Ride Planner to MyRouteApp (https://www.myrouteapp.com/en). This is the online version of the Tyre app and it works very well.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:59:25 AM »

I am a dinosaur and use pen and notebook and I carry a paper map. I plan it using different tools, but it all gets written down.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »

I still often use maps to plan out my trips (lots of maps), but I use a Garmin Zumo 550 to make sure I am following my plan.  We take several trips a year and the "big one" this year is heading out to CA and riding back on HWY 50, least to CO then riding some other roads. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 11:08:51 AM »

I am a dinosaur and use pen and notebook and I carry a paper map. I plan it using different tools, but it all gets written down.

I'm just one step above that.  I use google maps to lay out my route and get travel time and distance between the towns that have my turns and put them all on a word document.  Then I enter each of those towns in my gps.  Then as I get to the next town on the list I go to Recently Found and find the next town that I'm turning and hit enter.  It's worked for me all over North America and I still have the printed word document in my tour pack as back up.

The paper maps are OK but they don't show the smaller back roads that I like to take.  Sometimes I will spend hours on google maps actually riding the route to visually see what the turn looks like, gas stop, eats, etc.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 22 queries.