Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Is nitrogen a good idea?  (Read 4855 times)

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Is nitrogen a good idea?
« on: May 07, 2017, 07:47:32 AM »

I just put new tires on.  I'm thinking that nitrogen would be a good idea.  Just looking for some thoughts.  Thanks.  Stuart.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Is nitrogen a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »

Those that sell it recommend it, everything I have read is that it's a waste of money. I controlling air pressure to a tenth of a pound is critical(NASCAR) it's the go to blow. Otherwise don't waste yo bux.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:41:27 AM »

like jimmy said, some think it's great. I tried it on the 08 with Mich comm ll & still had them lose pressure over time (not a lot). but then ya gotta find a place that has nitro AND a chuck tht will fit onto the tire. most places (not all) have the 6-8 in straight chuck
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:43:08 AM »

Looks like  waste of cash.
Bill

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 09:50:34 AM »

There are many threads around here on this subject, feel free to search and enjoy reading the same kind of BS we see on all the oil threads.

If you get your nitrogen for free, and you have access to it at home for when you need to adjust tire pressures, there's no reason to avoid nitrogen.  But please don't fall for the hype and outright lies the folks selling the stuff put out.  Like all gases, nitrogen expands and contracts with changes in temperature.  So tire pressures will continue to change based on temperature.  As for the hype about it not losing pressure over time, that is also mostly bunk.  Tests performed by various parties like Consumer Reports have found there is very little difference after filling tires with regular air and nitrogen, letting them sit for a year, and then measuring pressure loss.  So since the pressure still changes with temperature, and also escapes naturally over time, using nitrogen does not eliminate the requirement to check inflation pressures on a regular basis.  The one claim they make that is true, but only if you manage to get the tire completely inflated with pure nitrogen (almost impossible), is the one about moisture.  Put an air dryer on your compressor and you can minimize the amount of moisture in the regular old air you put in your tires.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 10:23:39 AM »

Your tires are already filled with 80% nitrogen, it's called air.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 10:38:47 AM »

Copied from another thread on Mother Harley's strong change to nitrogen (and helium!) with the 2018 models.  This came, by the way, straight from the RPB (Resurrected Pool Boy). 

In 2018 all tires will be filled from the factory with nitrogen; for a $39 extra service charge.

As a dealer add-on that nitrogen will be sucked out (to be re-sold later) and replaced with nitro-helium to further lighten the bike; for a further $89 extra charge (the percentage of helium will 1.903%).

Unfortunately each of these upgrades will require recalibrations ($99 service fee each time) of the TPMS because of the different properties of each gas.  Also, it will cost $149 to R&R both tires and wheels to have them rebalanced since nitrogen and helium don't mix well thus leaving a (Harley technical term) thump of helium on one side of the tire that will have to be compensated for.  Fortunately once the two gasses do mix they then tend to stay mixed.  So only one more rebalance after 20 hours of the tires being in service and mixing the gasses through rotation will be required.

These are all new model improvements for the 2018 fleet.

Also, Harley has incorporated the blinker fluid and linked ABS systems in to one ABS/Blinker Fluid regulator pump.  With this the front and rear turn signals will continue to blink evenly no matter how hard the brakes are applied. The new special Screamin' Eagle Self Cancelling Blinker Fluid will be available approximately November 2018 as a $119.95 accessory to bring the self cancelling function to the turn signals of this new and improved system (except Dyna).

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 11:23:23 AM »

My personal experience: I thought it was hocus-pocus, snake oil.  Until I had a set of tires put on my 10 CVO Street Glide at Eagle's Nest HD.  It was free so go for it.  Increased mileage on both the front and rear tires.  Thought it must be a fluke so run nitrogen in the next two or three tire changes before I finally surrendered to that fact that it made a significant difference and didn't cost me anything.  By the second set of tires I learned that I didn't need to check the pressure near as often.  The down side was that I had to go back to the dealership just to check the pressure (because it was the only place that had nitrogen back then and it was free).

Then I had nitrogen put in the Altima when we did a tire change and had similar experience.....consistent pressure over a very long period of time.

Since then, I've learned that trucking companies are now using nitrogen and most upper end RV manufacturers are also sending their RVs out with nitrogen.  Most recently I bought a used 2017 RV from a guy in Orange County that owns a professional bicycle racing team and they traveled all over the US for races.  They use nitrogen in their bicycle tires also and he also swears by it.....saying that it's made a huge difference in their maintenance and the wear on the tires.

Having said all of that.....I see auto and tire shops that now offer it for free if you're buying tires from them.  More and more HD dealerships now have it.  It's available at a lot more places than it was back in 2010-2011 when I first started using it.

Just my personal experience and I started out as a nay sayer......   :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 01:16:50 PM »

Air (that you breathe every day) is a mixture of 21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen, and approximately 1% other trace gases, primarily argon; to simplify calculations this last 1% is usually treated as if it were nitrogen.  (I am a tech, scuba diver and instructor and also licesend to mix gases including Trimix)

When we remove oxygen from the air we call it Nitrox and helps with decompression times. I run some mix at 12% Oxygen

Any possible advantage is tire temperature. Nothing else.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 01:47:22 PM »

Air (that you breathe every day) is a mixture of 21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen, and approximately 1% other trace gases, primarily argon; to simplify calculations this last 1% is usually treated as if it were nitrogen.  (I am a tech, scuba diver and instructor and also licesend to mix gases including Trimix)

When we remove oxygen from the air we call it Nitrox and helps with decompression times. I run some mix at 12% Oxygen

Any possible advantage is tire temperature. Nothing else.

Nitrox has More Oxygen Content / Less Nitrogen Content than Air...
The most common Recreational Diving Nitrox "Mixes" are 32% Oxygen and 36% Oxygen...

As far as Nitrogen in the Tires,,, Not worth the effort for me...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 02:37:33 PM »

So.... if I understand all this correctly there really is a benefit to filling the tires with nitrogen.  If I'm visiting friends on the east coast and ride off the Bay Bridge when the bike is quickly pulled up from the bottom of the bay the tires won't get the bends?

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 04:00:30 PM »

Nitrogen is a dry gas. We used it to power our air impact wrenches when changing tires during pit stops and all NASCAR touring teams still do. We had to oil our air wrenches regularly before and after each race. That being said, I had a flat tire on my car traveling to a race and put fix-a-flat in the tire to make it to the track. When I got ready to leave the tire was very lowon air so I filled it up with nitrogen. Bad move on my part. The nitrogen dried up the fix-a-flat and the tire went flat in 20 miles. I pulled into a gas station but they didn't have a tire that fit but had a tube. 30 minuets later I was back on the road. Moral of the story, If you use fix-a-flat or Slime don't air up with nitrogen!

Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 05:16:44 PM »

Thanks for the great replies.  Not sure what I'll be doing. . But I do appreciate the input.  Thanks. Stuart

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 07:28:03 PM »

Throwing away money !!!

cvofbme

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 02:00:25 AM »

Your tires are already filled with 80% nitrogen, it's called air.

actually it's 78%   :2vrolijk_21:

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 09:14:30 PM »

Air at my house is about 50% methane
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 11:15:53 PM »

This is a crazy discussion. NOTHING can be gained by the other roughly 20% of nitrogen on top of the other 80% that is in the air. NOTHING. NO increase in tread life, no stability in pressure, NOTHING. I worked in the gaseous industry for 12 years, we made nitrogen. We tested gases in every way possible, daily and NONE of these claims have any validity. IMHO.
Everyone knows someone who knows someone who is a chemical engineer. Call him and ask, When he gets thru laughing...

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 11:45:30 PM »

I think Im going heed what I see here. I'm going to pass on the nitrogen.  Thanks for all the great replies. . Stuart.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 12:02:44 AM »

This is a crazy discussion. NOTHING can be gained by the other roughly 20% of nitrogen on top of the other 80% that is in the air. NOTHING. NO increase in tread life, no stability in pressure, NOTHING. I worked in the gaseous industry for 12 years, we made nitrogen. We tested gases in every way possible, daily and NONE of these claims have any validity. IMHO.
Everyone knows someone who knows someone who is a chemical engineer. Call him and ask, When he gets thru laughing...

When some of the kids in my high school engineering classes got off on this last fall (someone's dad thought nitrogen was better than sliced bread) we'd just started a Chem section.  Too easy to make it a class project for a few days.  None of the 15-16 year old kids going to pay extra for it either now. :huepfenlol2:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 08:29:32 AM »

When some of the kids in my high school engineering classes got off on this last fall (someone's dad thought nitrogen was better than sliced bread) we'd just started a Chem section.  Too easy to make it a class project for a few days.  None of the 15-16 year old kids going to pay extra for it either now. :huepfenlol2:

You are now branded as a heretic in the Religion of Blessed Nitrogen & the True Believers have no doubt excommunicated you because you are a Nitrogen Denier.  Or you have been paid off by the Big Air industry?   :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 09:01:02 AM »

Somehow I keep getting the feeling it's the same people who always speak out in favor of the latest scams.  I bet we could find more than one guy running nitrogen in his tires, Pulstar spark plugs, half inch thick battery cables and spark plug wires, and a fuel catalyst/fishing weight in his gas tank.  Some people just can't help themselves.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 09:32:42 AM »

I like the sinker in the gas tank idea. Hadn't thought of that
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 11:02:48 AM »

Somehow I keep getting the feeling it's the same people who always speak out in favor of the latest scams.  I bet we could find more than one guy running nitrogen in his tires, Pulstar spark plugs, half inch thick battery cables and spark plug wires, and a fuel catalyst/fishing weight in his gas tank.  Some people just can't help themselves.

Jerry

Yep.  Was at a bike rally this past weekend.  A booth there was selling "Negative Ion Energy" bracelets and other ion jewelry folderol.  One of the gals with us (not my wife) bought a bracelet.  Claimed to be feeling better immediately.  I told the group she should have waited, because there was probably a "Positive Ion Energy" booth a row or 2 over, might be better than negative energy.  Guys laughed, gals did not.  PT Barnum was right, and there are plenty out there to take advantage of it.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »

This thread reminds me of back in the 60s......what everybody was saying about synthetic oil.  :zroflmao:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 12:36:22 PM »

This thread reminds me of back in the 60s......what everybody was saying about synthetic oil.  :zroflmao:

Yeap, people still speaking anecdotally and out their are with no science as predicate.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »

After I change my oil (synthetic or dino depending on the application), I always top it off with 100% pure nitrogen, just to be on the safe side.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 01:39:53 PM »

Science?  Don't need no stinkin' science, we have advertisers who always tell us the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.  And if that isn't enough, we have the internet forums and chat rooms.  If you read it on the internet, it is automatically true.  Just ask Al Gore, the inventor of the internet.

Jerry

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 03:37:44 PM »

After I change my oil (synthetic or dino depending on the application), I always top it off with 100% pure nitrogen, just to be on the safe side.

Oh my gawd, nitrogen aerated synthetic oil!  That may be only new thread this site has never seen!!  :huepfenlol2:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 04:26:11 PM »

Oh my gawd, nitrogen aerated synthetic oil!  That may be only new thread this site has never seen!!  :huepfenlol2:

A new thread subject?  Is there some way we could incorporate a magic wax/polish into this idea? 

Nitrogen infused SUPERNITROWAX 3000, the last polish you will ever need, your motorcycle will shine brighter than the sun and if you look too close, your eyeballs might melt?  $187.00 for 4 ounces - we could be billionaires!   :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 06:41:18 PM »

A new thread subject?  Is there some way we could incorporate a magic wax/polish into this idea? 

Nitrogen infused SUPERNITROWAX 3000, the last polish you will ever need, your motorcycle will shine brighter than the sun and if you look too close, your eyeballs might melt?  $187.00 for 4 ounces - we could be billionaires!   :2vrolijk_21:

Wait, I've got it.  NitroGlare.  It will leave a shine that will last forever and never change pressure  :huepfenlol2: .

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 06:50:11 PM »

Oh no ! Gas tank catalyst. Take'em out, and use them on the boat instead of zincs.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:51:51 PM by johnsachs »

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »

I couldn't read through all of the comments... but according to my mechanic and my Chevy dealer (Silverado and Camaro), about the only 'Real' benefit is that the 99% Nitrogen filled tires do not cause the Tire Pressure Indicators to fail as often.  Less oxygen... less condensation inside the tire... less corrosion to the TPI device.

I have not noticed any mpg gains.  Other than the loss of pressure due to extreme temperature changes being more consistent... say -1psi per 10° below Cold Temp setting being established.  While the Air filled tires were best guess, and when our temperatures hit -40°F and colder, the tires would develop flat spots due to the loss of pressure.

At some point you will find yourself needing to 'add' air if you ride in early Spring and Late Fall... or even in the Winter for some of you... and it's not likely that you'll have a Nitrogen fill station at your house, but keeping the tires at proper psi with the Nitrogen is more easily manageable.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 12:18:29 PM »

So.... if I understand all this correctly there really is a benefit to filling the tires with nitrogen.  If I'm visiting friends on the east coast and ride off the Bay Bridge when the bike is quickly pulled up from the bottom of the bay the tires won't get the bends?

Bawaahahaahaaaaa!  Gawd damn I love sarcasm!  That is some funny chit!!! :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber:
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

MC16LTD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited (FLHTKSE)
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2017, 11:21:58 AM »

Wife's new CX-5 came with Nitrogen in the tires, it is a new way for dealers to make a quick buck.  That aside here is what we found, nitrogen still depletes like regular compressed air in the tire although not as quickly, you end up topping off with compressed air when tire pressure drops because you will never find anywhere to top off your tire.  Most dealers will only service "their" customers vehicles and even Costco that sells tires with nitrogen won't top off (haven't found one yet).  So the nutshell is you pay lots for something that leaves you running plain old air in the end.  Not worth the cost to me.
2016 CVO Limited Palladium Silver & Phantom Blu, Fullsac DX w/2" Power Cores and Sleeves, SERT, Wild1's 10" mini-apes, HogTrough drink holder for those hot or cold days.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »

Interesting bit about Costco. Our Costco down the street lets you drive right up and top off.  Found this out after the girl got her tires from Costo.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2017, 10:07:50 PM »

Completed the finishing touches on a new tour pak for my Road King last week.  Took it out to christen it for a few hundred miles on Sunday.  As I finished the tour pak I mounted a tire valve sticking out the side of it so could fill the tour pak with nitrogen too.  Immediately (even before leaving the parking lot) got three more miles per gallon and a 35 year old babe walked up and said, "Oooh, your using nitrogen?  That's hot.  Do me here.  Right now.  Please sir, please."

Nitrogen is some amazing chit.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:06:27 PM by Twolanerider »

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2017, 10:29:21 PM »

Haha that had me rollin

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2017, 10:47:35 PM »

Nitrogen groupies are air heads.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 20 queries.