Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cam Bearing Failure - Engine Trashed  (Read 5275 times)

DUNK 2

• Full CVO Member
Cam Bearing Failure - Engine Trashed
« on: July 20, 2017, 07:42:17 PM »

I took my 2010 CVO Ultra to the dealership this past Tuesday for what I thought was an annual inspection and oil change.  The bike has just shy of 20,000 miles on it (I live in snow country!) and has had all the recommended maintenance since I bought it new. 

Long story short, the dealer called last night and said they found a failed cam bearing.  The news got worse today when they found engine damage as a result of the failed bearing.  So, I'm looking at either an engine rebuild costing around $4,800 or a new engine costing around $6,200.  On a bike that doesn't have 20,000 miles on it!

I know this bike well and noticed absolutely no symptoms.  The dealer wasn't surprised by this but said the performance would have been affected or the engine would have shut down completely very soon. 

Needless to say, I'm frustrated and disappointed and wonder if there's any similar experiences or stories out there?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Cam Bearing Failure - Engine Trashed
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 08:42:40 PM »

There were enough of the inner cam bearing failures and lifter roller failures on 2007 - 2012 CVO110's that Harley upgraded both the bearings and the lifters for 2013.  So yes, many other people have had the same issues.

You might want to contact H-D Customer Service and talk to them about helping with the repair cost, since it was a known problem.  It can't hurt to ask.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DUNK 2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »

There were enough of the inner cam bearing failures and lifter roller failures on 2007 - 2012 CVO110's that Harley upgraded both the bearings and the lifters for 2013.  So yes, many other people have had the same issues.

You might want to contact H-D Customer Service and talk to them about helping with the repair cost, since it was a known problem.  It can't hurt to ask.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry.  Since this happened and only as a result of my own research, I now know this was enough of an issue to cause the MoCo to make a change in 2013.

Because it was a known problem, I have to wonder why owners of models prior to 2013 weren't advised to change out the bearings as preventative maintenance?  As I said in my first post, I've been diligent about getting all recommended maintenances done since I bought the bike new.  Is anyone aware of a service advisory about this issue?

I would have very much preferred paying the cost to change the bearings rather than paying for a new engine.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:42:26 PM by DUNK 2 »

mark

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:17:19 PM »

What options are out there for buying something other than a HD engine?  Basically, you had a poorly engineered engine fail at low mileage.  Why would you buy another  twin cam?  What about an S&S?

DUNK 2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 07:27:18 AM »

What options are out there for buying something other than a HD engine?  Basically, you had a poorly engineered engine fail at low mileage.  Why would you buy another  twin cam?  What about an S&S?

That's exactly the question I'm struggling with.  So I'll pay for a new twin cam and do this again after 20,000 miles?

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »

You took it in with no noises and no problems, for an oil change, and they tell you the engine's trashed?    Maybe I am naive but I would like to know waaaay more about what they found, and how they found it!    Sounds more to me like someone might have forgot to put oil back in it, or a drain plug, and tried to start it up??
I don't know, but I would have a lot of questions....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 08:28:14 AM »

You took it in with no noises and no problems, for an oil change, and they tell you the engine's trashed?    Maybe I am naive but I would like to know waaaay more about what they found, and how they found it!    Sounds more to me like someone might have forgot to put oil back in it, or a drain plug, and tried to start it up??
I don't know, but I would have a lot of questions....

:2vrolijk_21:  My thoughts as well.  If an inner cam bearing actually failed and did all the damage this dealership claims, I can't imagine anyone being able to ride it to the dealership and not notice anything strange about how the engine was running and sounding.  There has to be more to the story.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:  My thoughts as well.  If an inner cam bearing actually failed and did all the damage this dealership claims, I can't imagine anyone being able to ride it to the dealership and not notice anything strange about how the engine was running and sounding.  There has to be more to the story.

JMHO - Jerry

X2

HoustonAgingDad

• I ride a '10 FLHTCUI
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 10:45:04 AM »

I took my 2010 CVO Ultra to the dealership this past Tuesday for what I thought was an annual inspection and oil change.  The bike has just shy of 20,000 miles on it (I live in snow country!) and has had all the recommended maintenance since I bought it new. 

Long story short, the dealer called last night and said they found a failed cam bearing.  The news got worse today when they found engine damage as a result of the failed bearing.  So, I'm looking at either an engine rebuild costing around $4,800 or a new engine costing around $6,200.  On a bike that doesn't have 20,000 miles on it!

I know this bike well and noticed absolutely no symptoms.  The dealer wasn't surprised by this but said the performance would have been affected or the engine would have shut down completely very soon. 

Needless to say, I'm frustrated and disappointed and wonder if there's any similar experiences or stories out there?

Look used. I see used engines where the owner has "upgraded" to a bigger one all the time.  Often in the area of 3k.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 10:54:35 AM »

Dealer mechanic probably saw a ton of crap on the oil drain plug magnet.  These bike make a lot of noise so I can see it not being noticed.
I knew about cam bearings and lifters and changed them out at 7k miles.
Get ahold of GMR for repair and ZOOM ZOOOM ZOOM!
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 01:17:38 PM »

So, I'm looking at either an engine rebuild costing around $4,800 or a new engine costing around $6,200.

I was in this same predicament two months ago. The crank on my '06 CVO Ultra was binding and I needed to decide between a rebuild, or an S&S drop in crate motor. The engine was virtually untouched for 80K miles, never having the heads off, or cams and lifters changed. So I went with the rebuild using quality parts in the key areas, cams, lifters, and bearings. Jim at Metal Dragon did work. I chose the rebuild because it was the less expensive option which allowed me to upgrade to a new 2-1 exhaust system.

Jim knows I do not chase HP/TQ numbers, and that I prefer long distance rides, and police rodeo competitions. So he built me a solid dependable motor with the right cams and tune to give a fun "kick" when I get on it.

Lastly, I chose to stay with the HD motor because of availability. In other words, if I should have any issues on the road, any dealership can work on it. Not to say they couldn't or wouldn't work on an S&S engine.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

DUNK 2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 06:00:47 PM »

JMHO - Jerry

Not only did I ride it to the dealership, but my wife and I took it for about a 150 mile ride 3 days earlier.  I noticed absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 12:49:39 PM »

Jerry

Yet, these new lifter upgraded for 2013 still have a very high failure rate.  On trip our west in 2015, a friends 2104 CVO Limited had lifter failure at 21,000 miles.  Another friends 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra had lifter failure at 35K and the whole engine was replaced.  My 2105 CVO Road glide ultra had lifter failure at 44K miles and the whole engine was replaced.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 01:36:40 PM »

If HD won't help with the repair bill, then take the bike to a well know builder and speak to them about options, either doing a full rebuild of your current engine and fixing the weak points, going with new crate engine like S&S or buying a used engine and also going over weak points before install.  I would not rely on dealer for quality engine work or unbiased view on dealing with problem areas as they will want to sell you HD parts
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 07:04:22 PM »

Good time for a 124" build
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.