Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cam Bearing Failure - Engine Trashed  (Read 5274 times)

DUNK 2

• Full CVO Member
Re: Cam Bearing Failure - Engine Trashed
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 09:12:01 PM »

HD has agreed to pay $930 (cost of crankcase set) and the dealer agreed to pay about $1,000.  My out-of-pocket cost for an engine rebuild will be about $2,500. 

I've been a "nothing but HD" guy for a long time, but this most recent issue on top of previous issues (clutch, overheating and shutting down, etc.) has taken at least some of the fun out of riding.  My wife and I agree that we're spending far too much time wondering what part's going to go next or where the bike's going to die on us.  Too much to think about on a bike with under 20,000 miles.  I never thought I'd say this, but it is likely time to start looking elsewhere to get the fun back. 

Thanks for all the replies.  Ride safe!

J.D.

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 09:32:20 PM »

Well you did about as good as you could on the support from H-D, but I'm with you 100% on the sentiments.  The lack of reliability on these big Twin Cams, not to mention the issues associated with the M8 already, is going to hurt their business in a significant way.  On top of, you know, nobody below 40 years old wanting one already.

DUNK 2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 10:12:06 PM »

Yep, the reliability issue is exactly what's causing my frustration and disappointment. 

To be clear, my intent is not to bash HD.  They stepped up on this issue and I will be one of their biggest cheerleaders in hoping they figure out a way to get these issues resolved. 

If and when they do, no other bike can compare. 

Toofast_28

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 11:06:06 PM »

Dunk, will they put upgraded parts into that rebuild?  I'd be wanting the best parts I could put back into it, not the same chit that just broke.  If $100 now saves you $1000 later I'd be doing the upgrades.  Obviously I don't expect them to fund a HP monster build, just a reliable one.

DUNK 2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 11:10:57 PM »

Dunk, will they put upgraded parts into that rebuild?  I'd be wanting the best parts I could put back into it, not the same chit that just broke.  If $100 now saves you $1000 later I'd be doing the upgrades.  Obviously I don't expect them to fund a HP monster build, just a reliable one.

I will ask them to at least upgrade the cam bearings. 

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 11:29:16 PM »

Perfect time to go to a HD 117 while your doing the rebuild.  Their buying the parts anyhow might as well enjoy a little performance while your doing it.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.