Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stage 3 upgrade ?  (Read 1270 times)

scoobie_1971

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

Stage 3 upgrade ?
« on: July 25, 2017, 01:42:25 AM »

New member, sorry if this is a repeat question.
Currently riding a 2003 Dyna Lowrider w/Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner, V&H 2 into 1 exhaust, and a slightly modified stock CV carb, not  enough get up and go for me, not drag racing but I want power when I want it and this setup is not working for me, not necessarily looking for a 100hp engine either.
I purchased TC heads and cylinders and have sent them out for port/polish and boring to turn it into a 95 CID.  Pistons will be 10:5:1
So far i have also purchased Roller Rockers, a 42mm Making CV carb, the SE Cam plate upgrade with the better oil pump.
I am having the biggest issue with selecting the right cam.  Its been suggested that I find a set of SE-257 cams but this set is what this guy did and does not seem to be the best setup for me.  I would like to have power from start to finish in the power band.  Everyone has an opinion on which set to go with.  Most to and from work with moderate highway riding, almost never with a passenger.  I will consider any and all advice on cam selection.

TIMINATOR

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Stage 3 upgrade ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:18:52 AM »

The 257s will be too big for your wishes, rough idle and loss of bottom end torque below 3000 rpm in the 95" motor, and will need some serious carb tuning. You also will be glad you have the V&H 2 into 1s, you'll need them to keep some of the left side of the rpm torque. This is exactly the setup we have in my wife's 04 CVO Deuce except she has the smaller 251 cams, big valves, and hers comes on at about 2500 rpm with those and also makes 92 HP @ 5800 rpm and 94 ft/lbs torque. Also milled her heads .050", bored the throttle body, welded and ported the intake manifold too, we both run premium in them as we are in Phx,AZ. and it gets to 115 degrees here.
I have the 257s in my 110" (drop in kit but with Weisco forged pistons) 05 Fatboy,  also ported 103" SE heads (opened up the runners +.110" too) & milled .050, big valves, Drago's  Dragula 2 into 1 stepped pipes, 54 mm T-body with the bigger manifold, home made big air cleaner, and it makes 121HP & 122 tq. Power band in the 110" starts at 2800 and keeps pulling to 5900+ (its a "B" motor too so we keep them both below 6000).
With normal slightly sporty driving hers gets about 44-45 in town and 48+ on the road, mine gets 41-42 in town and 45+ on the road, and I would recommend these combinations highly. Cams in both sound lumpy, but I build HP engines for cars and HDs so we are comfortable with the idle, in fact we like it! Incidentally: the HP/TQ numbers are real world, not just on my Dynojet, but mine is within 1-2 HP (mine is between the other ones) as two HD dealers in the Phx,AZ. area. (We do the HP shootouts regularly.)
Also to note: ours are both factory fuel injected bikes with T-Max computers, the T-Max stand alone computers allow much of the idle to be "tuned out" and were worth several MPG too.    TIMINATOR

TIMINATOR

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 10:27:15 AM »

P.S. the roller rockers are not needed with cams under .600 lift, the cash is better spent elsewhere in your HP quest, but since you have them use them! Pic of my bike is before the Drago's and big air cleaner. TIMINATOR

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 11:50:03 AM »

Do a little searching on the web for a HIPPO Build.   S&S 570 cams

95" -  Set compression to 10:1 and go have some fun.

Its a tried and true combo and lots of feedback on it.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.